Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home-made burgers

Options
  • 06-07-2011 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question. Does adding a little oil to burgers help to bind them together?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

not sure about oil but a beaten egg will do the trick, oh and some crushed cream crackers or
    breadcrumbs...basically whatever Jamie Oliver says!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

As above. Also chilling them in the fridge for 30 mins helps them 'set'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

an egg,a nd leaving to set in the frige works, bit of flour, oats all help bind the burger together.

i use a pound of mince, finely chopped onion, good handful or two of oats, black pepper, salt, tabasco/worcestershire sauce, mix it all together, form your burgers, cover in flour and let set for 30 minutes, and cook, better then any fast food

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

After MUCH deliberation, research* and testing. I have come to the conclusion that all you need is just GOOD MINCE. Nothing else. That is all. All my years of faff with breadcrumbs, onions, garlic yada yada yada - all in vain. Trust me, once you do this, you'll never go back.

Shape the meat, gently. Season JUST before you cook it. Et voila.

*watching Man V Food & Diners, Drive-ins and Dives

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Thanks everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭nesbitt

I use good mince beef, black pepper, handful of porridge oats, very finely chopped scallion, just white bulb ends not green stems. (optional) and a crumbled oxo cube. NB I do not add any salt there is more than enough in the oxo... I find its easy to mix the porridge oats and oxo together first then add onion pepper and finally mince beef. I then add a small amount of cold water to bind. Shape and chill or freeze as required. If freezing use little waxed discs to separate the burgers when preparing them for the freezer.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

olaola wrote: »
    After MUCH deliberation, research* and testing. I have come to the conclusion that all you need is just GOOD MINCE. Nothing else. That is all. All my years of faff with breadcrumbs, onions, garlic yada yada yada - all in vain. Trust me, once you do this, you'll never go back.

This is the only method I use anymore. If anyone has ever seen "Grill It" with Bobby Flay, that's exactly what he does. Then makes and indent on the side you're going to cook 2nd to hold the juices which soak back in.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

You can use cheese and onion crisps too! Trust me they work!

Tasted these ones made by Kevin Dundon at a demo I was filming, I made them myself a couple of weeks ago for the BBQ and they were devine!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

olaola wrote: »

This is how any self respecting North American makes burgers (and on this foodstuff, I'll defer to them). Their reasoning is that any flavourings should go on or under the burger.
    I think we tend to make burgers far too thick in this part of the world too and, like most things, overcook them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

a very finely grated potato mixed to the mince then fridge before cooking works for me. The potato will hold together in the burger and disappear in when fully cooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Good quality Mince - don't use mince that has less than 10% fat as burgers won't be juicy, small bit of salt and pepper and a dash of Worcestershire sauce, oh and if you like a small bit of finely chopped flatleaf parsley.

Some people use egg and breadcrumbs in burgers but I tried and thought they were yuck.

Advertisement