Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Races Non Racing Tips 2011

Options
  • 06-07-2011 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

I remember reading a similar thread last year along the lines of what to do during the festival.

So Galway seeing as it will be my 1st year at the festival, whats the tips about eating, drinking and all things in between about the festival in galway (apart from the horses OF COURSE :p)

:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Shanley

Things are a bit different this year, thanks to a certain pub in the latin quarter which I wont mention here The Latin Quarter (High St, Quay St etc) cannot serve out there windows as previous years so will have to queue more for drink!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/GalwayRaceWeekCarnival/118258411595364 - This sounds interested a new marquee down the docks, dont like giving the guy in question all my money though! :P The Stunning are playing at it on the Sat
    It will be open Wed-Sat down the docks and fits 1,500 or so apparentely!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Abandon your vehicle in a responsible fashion only. Haggle for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭chickendinner

snubbleste wrote: »
    Abandon your vehicle in a responsible fashion only. Haggle for everything.

I will have ten euro on number nine, no wait i will give you nine euro,
    make it seven.

*Walks away happy with haggling skills

Take the bus out to the races and back.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Take the bus out to the races and back.

More specifically the number 9 bus, which goes to the Parkmore Rd entrance to the racecourse. (The Parkmore neighbourhood map shows you where, and the #9 route map shows you where else it goes past.) In the past, it's been a lot cheaper than the shuttle buses.

That said, they turned it around at the Briarhill roundabout during peak traffic periods of race-days last year, so there may be a bit of a walk.

I'll be updating Galway Public Transport News as soon as I find out from a reliable source exactly what's happening this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

what happens in the races apart for the horses and the pretty ladies which will be taking me home:D

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Cathal O

what happens in the races apart for the horses and the pretty ladies which will be taking me home:D

Depending on how much ya drink that day you could end up with one of the horses taking you home

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Cathal O wrote: »
    Depending on how much ya drink that day you could end up with one of the horses taking you home

Nah, one of the ladies takes you home, but you wake up next to a horse... ;)

Less than three weeks to go, cant bloody wait! Best week of the year!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 MessiahMan

Anyone have any idea of local bands that are playing in the big top at the galway races carnival down the docks?I think it's great idea. Roll on the races! :D

• Advertisement

This time next week will have one (hopefully profitable) day down and on the way to ballybrit for day two!!

Dont know about the bands, I think I will stick to the usual cross/quay street area myself for the traditional races craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭tatoo

Horslips are on in the bigtop on the Sunday night ( 31st ):D,
    The Stunning are also on the Saturday I think.
    I started a thread looking for advice on parking , start times and whether its likely they'll be tickets available on the night or not, but got no replies.
    I'm coming up for the Horslips gig, all going well, so any info or help appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 MessiahMan

You get wristbands at the entrance (presumably there it will be fenced off) and I think you can get them in Fagans (Below the Meyrick). Just got that info from the facebook page. There is a thing in the advertiser this week aswell. Bogus Pogues on Friday night (Pogues tribute band I assume?) and then iradio dj's on Friday and Saturday night!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

Glue a five euro note to the ground of shop street and crowd around it while drinking and laugh at the people who try and pick it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭beeintheknow

Columc wrote: »
    Glue a five euro note to the ground of shop street and crowd around it while drinking and laugh at the people who try and pick it up.

Or you could be original.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Tip: Avoid Galway for the duration of the Races.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

MessiahMan wrote: »
    You get wristbands at the entrance (presumably there it will be fenced off) and I think you can get them in Fagans (Below the Meyrick). Just got that info from the facebook page. There is a thing in the advertiser this week aswell. Bogus Pogues on Friday night (Pogues tribute band I assume?) and then iradio dj's on Friday and Saturday night!
    Oh its a junior cert disco then :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭sealgaire

Oh god, please don't actually refer to it as the 'Latin Quarter'! Its not actually a Latin Quarter you know .. . . . .

Shanley wrote: »
    Things are a bit different this year, thanks to a certain pub in the latin quarter which I wont mention here The Latin Quarter (High St, Quay St etc) cannot serve out there windows as previous years so will have to queue more for drink!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/GalwayRaceWeekCarnival/118258411595364 - This sounds interested a new marquee down the docks, dont like giving the guy in question all my money though! :P The Stunning are playing at it on the Sat

Ficheall wrote: »

If you want to avoid the best week of the year that is!

Here we go.

Haters gonna hate I guess.

• Advertisement

Shanley wrote: »

Pretty sure its a pub back the west that has the issue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Tip: Avoid Galway for the duration of the Races.[/QUOT

victor meldrew is that you?

Here we go.

In fairness,i can see how people who dont go to the races and are working during it find it a bit of a nightmare.
    Im off on hols and will be back for Ladies Day so i dont give a sh1t.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Here we go.

Meh, I've no problem with Race week other than town being horridly busy. If you want to see Galway, Race Week isn't really the best time for it. But if you're into horses and dressed-up drunk people, then I suppose Race Week is very enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Back on topic people but I understand the many Galwegians that take this week off and go somewhere else.

Apparently there's stuff happening down the docks?

biko wrote: »
    Apparently there's stuff happening down the docks?

Pubs that overcharge during the 'bonanza week' are peeved off about it as it will give people an alternative than spending money in their establishments, the blatant cheek of them. http://www.galwaynews.ie/20562-publicans-peeved-race-week-dockside-carnival

Pubs that overcharge during the 'bonanza week' are peeved off about it as it will give people an alternative than spending money in their establishments, the blatant cheek of them. http://www.galwaynews.ie/20562-publicans-peeved-race-week-dockside-carnival

Who overcharges?

It was a bit sly the way it happened in that the guys running the carnival didn't' have to publicly apply for the licence.

The pubs!
    Most hospitality services tend to increase their prices during the period for some inexplicable reason.

The pubs!
    Most hospitality services tend to increase their prices during the period for some inexplicable reason.

Pubs put up the price of pints during race week? Which pubs? Any examples?

• Advertisement

Pubs put up the price of pints during race week? Which pubs? Any examples?

Currently, I have no examples.

Advertisement