Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wacom tablet, a5 or a4?

Options
  • 06-07-2011 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭

Hey guys im currently selling my intuos a4 to opt for a smaller tablet. But im not sure if this is the right choice. I guess my main reason is because it sometimes feels to large for me and is arkward to work on (thats what she said!).

I have a 19" monitor so would an a5 tablet map ok to this? The a4 seems fine but its just a strain sometimes moving my arm all over the place to select options and such. I think i would feel more comfortable with a smaller tablet. I use short small strokes so i dont think im really making full use of the surface area of the a4. Any suggestions?

What size tablets do you guys use?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Well what do you use the tablet for? Digital painting? Photo retouching? Something else? Generally with digital illustration it helps to have the biggest tablet you can afford so you can use more of your arm when drawing. But if you are retouching photos you can get away with a smaller tablet.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

I use the tablet for 3d modelling. Mostly sculpting in zbrush. But then texturing in photoshop too. I dont do much illustrations

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

steve_ wrote: »
    I use the tablet for 3d modelling. Mostly sculpting in zbrush. But then texturing in photoshop too. I dont do much illustrations

I'm amazed you'd want to downgrade from A4 to A5. I've the 12 inch cintiq and if I could afford the 21 I'd get it in a hearbeat. Are you using a PC or Mac when you work? Would it not make it easier to change the layout of your workspace to suit your work flow so your not moving all over the place to select options. Are you using the short cut keys on the intuos at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

I know it seems impractical to downgrade but i just dont feel comfortable using the area tablet. Im using the shortcut keys alright but in zbrush there are so many options you cant avoid roaming through all the menus. Iv tried reducing the work area in the wacom settings and it feel nicer to me. Seems though its have mapping issues as the cursor keep moving off one screen to the other. Iv always felt uncomfortable using the large tablet as i just dont use the full working area. Which was why i thought a smaller tablet might be more suited. also portability is an issue for me too as i bring it to college

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Why don't you just pick up a Bamboo tablet then? They're pretty cheap, you can find ones for under 50 online. I wouldn't go selling your Intuos straight away, can't hurt to hold on to it at least in the short term. I still have my intous even though I mainly use the cintiq I find the intuos easier to bring around as it's just usb rather then the mount of cables the cintiq needs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I much prefer smaller tablets and I've used as large as 12x12, i have a wacom intuos3... 6x8 (workable area, the tablet itself is bigger) and I love it. Even with two monitors. Work is mostly Max, Acad and only a little pshop.

At home I've got an even smaller wacom. 6x5? It works beautifully with photoshop though which is its main use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bergekhon

Hi... A4 is a pretty good size for a 19" widescreen. A small strip at the bottom of the tablet drawing area will be inactive when it's matched to ratio with the screen.

retouching photos
    photo retouching

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 defy2012

A4 is more suitable for you i think,for you already has the 19" one

Advertisement