Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notice, Garden Leave & Holidays

Options
  • 06-07-2011 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'm about to hand in my notice in work. I know that I'll be put on Garden Leave immediately.

The thing is, I haven't taken any holidays yet this year, so have 10 or so days clocked up.

Can my employer force me to take the holidays concurrently with the Garden Leave or do they have to pay me for the days I've not used?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,512 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Well I suppose you would be willing to work your notice, if they want you to go then that's their problem. That would be my argument anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

A lot of contracts will state that you can't take holidays during notice period, obviously if you're on one months notice and have 20 days holidays to take, they cant do a handover etc. So chances are you'll be paid for the unused holidays, they cant force you to take them (never heard of anyone being forced to) and the notice period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Your employer can decide when you take your holidays. Obviously they will ask you to take your holidays before you leave.

My advice is to take your holidays before handing in your notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    Your employer can decide when you take your holidays. Obviously they will ask you to take your holidays before you leave.

My advice is to take your holidays before handing in your notice.
    But they have to give you 1 month notice. So if you have a notice period of 1 month, they can't make you use your holidays for your notice period.

Advertisement