Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Few Tips for LC Geography

• 06-07-2011 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Hey guys. :)

I'm just getting used to exam paper structure before I go back in September, and I figured it would be best to be prepared so I could get straight down to study and not be worrying about small little things. I recall in a class test getting a question, but misinterpreting it and answering the wrong question.

So I was just wondering could you clear this up for me, and tell me what exactly these questions are asking for. I've a fair idea, but I'd rather er on the side of caution and make sure I've it right. Thanks in advance for any answers. :D

Examine the formation of one rock type and how it produces a distinctive landscape. - if you could tell me what rock and what landscape or the different options for it.

Describe the processes which have influenced the development of one Irish landform of your choice. - is that the sea stack or beach?

“A change in sea level can have an effect on the Irish landscape”. Discuss with reference to two landforms you have studied. - I can't for the life of me remember what that's asking for! :eek:

I know these seem like stupid questions to ask, but I'm paranoid and need to make sure I'm right. Thanks. :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Was that exactly as the questions appeared?

Then, First one - presumably limestone and Karst landscapes.

Second - could be anything - a waterfall, a beach, a sea stack, but I would say it probably has to be a named feature.

Third - raised beach, fjord, ria.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Nic Neptune

Perfect, thanks a mill! :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

For the second one we always just named an Irish feature (e.g. Cliffs of Moher, Co. Clare) and then continued as normal for the formation of that feature.

The third one is isostatic processes, so basically the features Spurious mentioned.

For your Field Report make sure to check the marking scheme @ www.examinations.ie. It's marked in a pretty specific way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Going into LC too in August, not looking forward to it too much but I love Geography and hope it will be one of my A1 subjects! How much of the course do you have done out of interest?. Anyway back to the question in hand.

Question 1- There is 2 main ones you could choose for this. The first (and most obvious one) is the formation of Limestone rock (Sedimentary) and how this brings about the Karst Area in Co. Clare "The Burren". Just remember the 3 C's (Compaction, Compression and Cementation) or as it can be known as Lithification, also note some of the features of Sedimentary rock (It's strata, contains many fossils, large joints and bedding planes etc). If your missing an SRP or two you could draw a diagram of the Limestone rock, or talk about the tourism it brings to Ireland etc.

Another option is Basalt rock and you could discuss how it's formed and how it formed the Giant's Causeway, however this may be better used in the Volcanic Activity in Ireland Question.

Question 2- Here you could also use the Burren as the landform and talk about how the proccesses of Carbonation, how it enlarges the underground cave in karst regions, the process of calcite building up and splashing to form stalictites and staligmites and how this forms a limestone pillar etc. Also a diagram of the feature you've discussed would score you an extra SRP.

Remember in Question 1 you would score 2 marks for naming the rock type, 2 marks for naming the specific rock, and 2 marks for naming the landform that's created, this plus a properly labelled diagram means you would have 8/30 in the question without writing anything! Then 11 SRP's and you have your full marks!. :)

Best of luck for next year, I hope we pull through it! :L :P

Advertisement