Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fees questionn

Options
  • 06-07-2011 5:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

as i exited a course in UL in 2007 shortly after starting, i know i am not eligible for free fees this coming september.

however at the time i paid 895 to UL and i understand that this fee will equate to 2000 in september. do you think i have a chance of having this portion paid by my local authority? i only found the receipt to UL earlier.

i will qualify for btea but i know i cant get the grant itself.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 boarder77

anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

boarder77 wrote: »
    as i exited a course in UL in 2007 shortly after starting, i know i am not eligible for free fees this coming september.

however at the time i paid 895 to UL and i understand that this fee will equate to 2000 in september. do you think i have a chance of having this portion paid by my local authority? i only found the receipt to UL earlier.

i will qualify for btea but i know i cant get the grant itself.

No. Because you dropped you are not eligible for free fees or grant. However if you wait 5 years ie until 2012 then you can become eligible again as you will be deemed a 2nd chance student

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Tulip11

Hi,

Looking for some advice on Fees also.

I've accepted a place on the St. Pats B.ED (Mature applicant), in 1997 I completed a National Diploma does this mean I am eligible for free fees for entry to the B.Ed?

I've read the section below from studentfinance.ie.....but to be honest I'm still unclear as to my eligibility....I'm inclined to think I am eligible based on the below excerpt.

"You are not required to pay tuition fees for these courses if you meet the following eligibility criteria as at the date of entry to the course:

you hold EU nationality* or are a national of member country of the EEA or Switzerland or you have been granted official refugee status**
    you have been ordinarily resident in an EU Member State for at least three of the five years preceding your entry to the course
    you are not undertaking a second undergraduate course

The requirement at c. above may not apply where students who already hold a Higher Certificate/National Certificate or an Ordinary Bachelor Degree/National Diploma are progressing to an Honours Bachelor Degree course without necessarily having received an exemption from the normal duration of the course. In such cases, the student may be deemed eligible for free fees"

However as my earnings for 2010 were in excess of the income limit I am only eligible for 50% fees and 100% student contribution, according to the new limits set in the 2010 budget.

So based on the above am I eligible for free fees or not.....does my 2010 earning trump my eligibility as outlined on studentfinance.ie.

I'm totally confused and as I'm biting the bullet and going back to full-time education I really need to determine if I'm going to be able to afford all 3 years of the course.

Any advice/insight greatly appreciated,
    Tulip 11

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Tulip11 wrote: »

"You are not required to pay tuition fees for these courses if you meet the following eligibility criteria as at the date of entry to the course:

you hold EU nationality* or are a national of member country of the EEA or Switzerland or you have been granted official refugee status**
    you have been ordinarily resident in an EU Member State for at least three of the five years preceding your entry to the course
    you are not undertaking a second undergraduate course

The requirement at c. above may not apply where students who already hold a Higher Certificate/National Certificate or an Ordinary Bachelor Degree/National Diploma are progressing to an Honours Bachelor Degree course without necessarily having received an exemption from the normal duration of the course. In such cases, the student may be deemed eligible for free fees"

Hi Tulip,
    If you are starting in the first year of the B.Ed, which I assume you are, then there is a chance that you may not be eligible for free fees for the equivalent period of your new course, i.e. if you spent three years on the Diploma you might not be eligible for free fees for the first three years of any new course.

The progression to the Hons bachelor degree referred to on student finance above relates to those add-on courses where you receive an Ordinary degree/ National Diploma after 3 years and then go on to complete one final year to top-up your existing qualification to hons degree standard. It generally does not mean that you can re-do a new qualification.

You can check this with the Student Support unit of the DES in Tullamore 057 9325317.

You should also check your grant /registration fee eligibility by speaking directly to your local grant awarding body. Contact details available via studentfinance .ie

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Dortilolma

I was in a MA course in 2007 and left as it wasn't for me. I was only there two months and I checked with Dublin City Grants office before I left that I would be eligible for a grant if I returned to education the following year. I was told I'd still be eligible as I was leaving the course early enough for the fees to be reimbursed.

I'm heading back to do a Masters in Trinity this year and am applying for a grant.

• Advertisement
Advertisement