Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

e-Commerce packages

Options
  • 06-07-2011 5:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine is looking to setup a website to sell stuff but needs some assistance around getting the site up and running. He was wondering if there are any good e-Commerce packages out there or good companies who would develop sites with a proper back-end for uploading and maintaining stock levels, one that would update the stock automatically as items are purchased etc.

I don't know much about it myself but I said I would ask around.

Any recommendations for companies/packages that would do this?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

G-Money wrote: »
    A friend of mine is looking to setup a website to sell stuff but needs some assistance around getting the site up and running. He was wondering if there are any good e-Commerce packages out there or good companies who would develop sites with a proper back-end for uploading and maintaining stock levels, one that would update the stock automatically as items are purchased etc.

I don't know much about it myself but I said I would ask around.

Any recommendations for companies/packages that would do this?

Thanks!

You'll get the best results by hiring a company/person to install a well supported & mature open source system. Zen Cart or Magento are probably the most popular (and free), but you can also get eCommerce plugins for content management systems such as Joomla and Wordpress. It really depends on what you need from your system.

The company you hire will then need to install and configure it. You can customise it through custom designed templates , or you can buy them cheap enough on places like templatemonster.com. Another form of customisation is through Plugins, and the open source system you choose will dictate the variety and how freely available or costly they are.

An equally important aspect that's often overlooked by people is the marketing strategy. You need to plan for ways to get traffic in, through SEO and social networks, message boards, a blog, and maybe paid advertising. This is often overlooked and people just assume customers will arrive on their website. It's just as important as creating a good system, but it's far more laborious and difficult to get right!

Best of luck with the venture :)

johnmcavinue.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Magento Magento Magento

It's slow if you don't have good hardware and it can be complicated, especially if you want to write some extensions but it's the dogs bollix once you get the hang of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ber Kavanagh

Hi would like to see the answer to this question as it holds great interest to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭BGozIE

As user above said... Magento

Unless you are wiling to pay a company to develop a website & back-end system from scratch (or some remake they already have)...that may cost a fair bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

BGozIE wrote: »
    As user above said... Magento

Unless you are wiling to pay a company to develop a website & back-end system from scratch (or some remake they already have)...that may cost a fair bit.

or get a company to do the design and apply it to an eCommerce engine for you

• Advertisement
Advertisement