Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour keeping chickens!

Options
  • 06-07-2011 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, one of the neighbours a few doors up from me is keeping chickens out the back garden and its in a residential area, its taking the absolute p*ss (noisewise). He has had them for quite a while, is this legal in an urban residential area? is there anything I can do i.e go to council etc?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Do chickens make noise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

BwaaaK?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

skip to about 40 secs and hear for yourself!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLVXWyMRLes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Idbatterim wrote: »

They arent very loud really. Maybe theres a rooster? Id say its quite common to have a few chickens these days, doubt its illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Free range eggs right on your street :)

Call over and offer to buy some OP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

a fox got in at them the other night, didn't manage to take them all out though unfortunately! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭rusty_racer94

a fox got in at them the other night, didn't manage to take them all out though unfortunately! :)

Ahhh you're evil! :eek:
    Just remember, no chickens, no happy meals.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Hi, one of the neighbours a few doors up from me is keeping chickens out the back garden and its in a residential area, its taking the absolute p*ss (noisewise). He has had them for quite a while, is this legal in an urban residential area? is there anything I can do i.e go to council etc?

Why would you? Leave the poor man alone, he's only doing his best. Probably trying to save a few bob or teach his kids about the food chain. Chickens are not noisy, we had them (outside the bedroom windows) for years. Unless there is a dog worrying them or something you wouldn't even know they were there. You will never get a noise pollution charge brought against a man with a few chickens, and I'm sure it's perfectly legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭theparish

Is it hens only that your neighbour is keeping or has he/she a cock as well,like cock a doodle do every hour and early in the morning.I have a few hens myself in a very urban area and have friends that keep them in the same town.They will make noise for a minute or 2 after they have laid an egg between 8 and 12 in the morning.They will also make a little racket if they see u with treats but again only for a minute or 2.From my and other chicken keepers experience noise was never an issue,but if it was a cock in an urban area then that is a different kettle of hens.

The neighbors will beef up security so Mr Fox doesn't get in again
    Simple things like closing their house at night and putting the wire a foot under the ground so Mr Fox can't dig under

Hens are quiet anyway, is there a rooster? Is it making noise at the crack of dawn and strutting around the place?

If it's just hens then leave the neighbor alone. It's a nice way for people retired or unemployed to occupy themselves and it's fine in an urban area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

Hens aint bad - Roosters on the other hand!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭theparish

Forgot to mention,from dusk till dawn you will not hear a peep out of any hen.
    Neighbours dogs barking at night,now that a different kennel of dogs.

theparish wrote: »
    that is a different kettle of hens.
    theparish wrote: »
    that a different kennel of dogs.

You've a way with words :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Eleganza

If you give them a nice roost and they are free to wander then you'll get the eggs, not the neighbour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Just get a fox

Fox-killing-chickens.jpg

Problem solved:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

That was distinctly disappointing.

I was actually joking the other say about getting some chickens if I had a garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

They have the music on at night? Make loud barking noises all day? Revving on a saturday? You can't hear the TV?

I lived next door to students, wouldn't mind hens in the least. A cock crowing is a different matter...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

its completely legal

and as everyone is saying, they dont make noise unless they have a cock. if they do, ask them to keep him in the coop until 9am

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭phormium

I wish my next door neighbour had chickens instead of that effin little jack russell. Do dogs never get hoarse? That dog can bark from morning til night without a break, it is the constant background noise in my house, God forbid I should go out in the garden, that really sets him off, cranky little yoke.

Advertisement