Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody here got a mechanical keyboard?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

I actually prefer typing on a laptop to my mechanical keyboard. I guess it's because I'm used to bottoming out, which has different timing on a mech with that much more travel than a scissor switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Baza210 wrote: »
    I actually prefer typing on a laptop to my mechanical keyboard. I guess it's because I'm used to bottoming out, which has different timing on a mech with that much more travel than a scissor switch.

I found I got used to my mechanical after a few weeks (Cherry Black Switches) and once my fingers had adjusted to the resistance (substantial enough with the above) my typing speed was pretty similar to my laptop typing speed. YMMV and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Griffin87

I am after taking a chance and buying a choc mini with red switches.

I bought of ebay from a seller in hong kong. Payed €73 all together.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Griffin, let me know what the red switches are like. I've been thinking of a Corsair K90, using the same ones, unfortunately I don't know of anywhere with mechanical on display, so I can't try it out.

Serephucus wrote: »
    Griffin, let me know what the red switches are like. I've been thinking of a Corsair K90, using the same ones, unfortunately I don't know of anywhere with mechanical on display, so I can't try it out.

If you're ever down in Cork you can try my black switch Steelseries 7G. Red switches are basically the same with a lower activation force.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

nesf wrote: »
    If you're ever down in Cork you can try my black switch Steelseries 7G. Red switches are basically the same with a lower activation force.

Unlikely to be, but thanks for the offer. :p

It's from a noise point of view as well. Friend of mine has a Blackwidow, and though it's lovely to type on, it's loud as f**k. (Blue switches) They're tactile, as far as I know, where the reds are linear. Wondering how much of a difference that makes.

Unlikely to be, but thanks for the offer. :p

It's from a noise point of view as well. Friend of mine has a Blackwidow, and though it's lovely to type on, it's loud as f**k. (Blue switches) They're tactile, as far as I know, where the reds are linear. Wondering how much of a difference that makes.

Enough of a difference that my quite sensitive wife has never bitched about the keyboard being used to type on 10 feet away from her. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Griffin87

yea cool i let you know when i use it for awhile. This is going to be my first mech keyboard. I was looking at them Corsair Keyboards too but they are not fully mechanical and apparently the build quality is not the best. We wont know until they are finally available for purchase. Should not be too long now.

Red or brown switches are supposedly best for gaming

this is going to replace my g15 so it should be a big change.
    cant wait :D

Griffin87 wrote: »
    Red or brown switches are supposedly best for gaming

Matter of preference, just avoid blues (though some people can game on them, not sure how but eh). Blacks work pretty well once you get used to the actuation force. More of a "burn-in time" with them though, your hands will hate you for the first week of serious typing. The main advantage of blacks over the other linear switches is that it's harder to make an accidental keypress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Hey all,

I did a good bit of reading about this not so long ago so just to add a few things to what has been said already.

First of all, apparently that overclock link is wrong/inaccurate about a few things (I'm not sure exatcly sure what) but it is based on a longer more accurate piece on geekhack that can be found here

The next thing that may be of interest is Ducky keyboards (in particular the 9008 keyboards )are generally considered one of the best mechanical keyboards you can buy. They come with all types of keys i.e. Blue, Brown, Black and Red. You can buy one from a Taiwanese website that is linked below and each keyboard will cost about 3790 Taiwanese dollars which is about €100 and shipping is another $20 to Europe. I have never used this website but I know others have without any problems. Still you might want to check that they will send t Ireland (although I can't see why not). Anyway here are the full list of keyboards and associated links.

Blue Backlit:

MX Browns

MX Blue

MX Red (Taiwanese only)

MX Black (Taiwanese only)

Red Backlit (All red backlit options only have Taiwanese letterings on the keycaps, for now)

MX Red

MX Black

MX Brown

MX Blue

Final Note:
    Taiwanese keyboards are very similar to US/QWERTY keyboards but just have more alternative letterings. A picture and description of these difference can be found on Wikipedia

• Advertisement
Advertisement