Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental Accommodation Scheme (RAS)?

Options
  • 06-07-2011 7:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭

Hi I know there is posts out there with the same name as above but I was warned about "zombie threads" so decided to do a new one.

I want tom move home to limerick and no longer want to rent this house. My wife and I have a girl who just turned 3 and we have another baby due in 3 weeks time. We have COMPLETELY no Family support in Carlow and if something was to happen we would be up a creek without a paddle. All my family are in limerick city and we need to move there ASAP so we can avail of the help we will get.

This is the second RAS house we have since 2009 as our old house (and believe me it was old holes bugs and no heating) was flooded in the bad winter and the ceilings all came down. Our land lord is uncooperative and even threatened us with eviction if we asked for anything else.

We really need to move and I want to be home with my family.

What can I do?

NOTE: there is a bigger story behind this but I don’t wish to bore you,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Ah Tony, now I want to know the bigger story:D

The social system can be a nightmare, I know, thankfully the OH is back at work and we no longer deal with them but I feel for you. I know it is hard to not get upset when talking with them sometimes but you really need to get in touch with whoever arranged your ras house. You need to tell them your situation adn be honest, explain you are out of work and have a young family with no support around, mention to them that if you were to have any hope of being successful in returning to work you would need to be around people you can rely on to help out with the children when needs be. State your case as clearly as possible but make sure you include why it would be better for them if you moved, i.e. if you were in Limerick with a full time job you would be paying a higher rent, i.e. a saving for them!

We had a situation ourselves before he went back to work when we wanted to move, we wanted to be closer to the schools and found the perfect house for us which was 200 cheaper a month, we asked our cwo how difficult it would be to move while on rent allowance and we were basically told it wasnt worth the hassle that our rent would be closed and we would need to go through the whole application process again.

6 months later the house became available again, we had a meeting with a new cwo, we explained that wanted to move, hubbie was in an interview process and things were looking good, if we moved while on rent allowance we would save them 200 a month, and if he was successful in his application for the job we would be able to afford the cheaper house no problem. CWO thought it was a great idea, offered us all the help we needed to move and thankfully by the time we moved hubbie was back in work.

Point is, get a hold of the right person and state your case in not only what it will do for you but how it will save them money and you should be fine. Best of luck with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

OP can you clarify if you are in a RAS property or receiving rent supplement from the HSE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

I am on a RAS we began the RAS in 2009 and stayed in the house until it was flooded in December 28 and we were homeless for 3 days until i got my local TD involved and threatened to go to the papers, the property management guy was completely uncooperative as was and still is the RAS person

I am on a FAS scheme which will end April next year but like i said we have ni family support and we need to move home

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Well then your contract is with the local council, nothing to do with your landlord. You need to write to/meet with them and tell them why you wish to move.

You also need to contact a council in Limerick and see what policies they have on the transfer of RAS tenants.

snubbleste wrote: »
    Well then your contract is with the local council, nothing to do with your landlord. You need to write to/meet with them and tell them why you wish to move.

You also need to contact a council in Limerick and see what policies they have on the transfer of RAS tenants.

The person in question is impossible to contact, we contacted him in march and we are still waiting for a responsible, this is normal procedure sadly i have to kick up hell for him to take notice so that is why im desperate, also who in limerick council would i contact would you have any contact numbers ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 family guy

I have a RAS related question

Im currently living in my parents home but getting married in 7 weeks time
    my fiancee is living in a house under the RAS scheme,

I applied for a mortgage but was turned down, hopefully with more saving in 6 months time i get approved

anyway, can I live in the house with my wife in 7 weeks time under the RAS scheme? im working full time earning €400 a week so im willing and able to pay a slice of the rent

is this allowed or accepted or could we find ourselves homeless after we get married?

any help on this would be great

cheers

I believe it is based on the earnings of the person, i am married and we got the house based on my earnings which are not alot and we were told that if either of us work the our rent will increase to match the extra we earn (this is what we were told)

to be honest im surprised your girlfriend got the house as a single person on RAS and with every respect to you and your partner even more surprised that you are not al ready living to gather in the RAS house, sorry just seems odd b ut each to their own i guess.

you may have done your Google home work but ill leave some links for you but its a simple matter of asking the RAS person what the rules are in limerick as they differ from county to county.

we are presently paying €56 per week, how much does your partner pay? I only ask as i want to go to limerick soon and wandered how much rent is there? we have a 3 bedroom 3 bathroom house here.

best of luck

http://www.limerickcity.ie/Housing/RAS-RentalAccommodationScheme/

http://www.environ.ie/en/DevelopmentHousing/Housing/SocialHousingSupport/RentalAccomodationScheme/

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/SupplementaryWelfareAllowance/Pages/RentSupplement.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 9 family guy

Thanks Tony

Were actually living in Dublin, not Limerick, not sure how that confusion happened

I also do stay at the house with my girlfriend but not in an official capacity, I thought I was going to be approved for a mortgage and would be moving into our own home, we were not so it seems like we will be living in the RAS house for the next few months, as I said I will pay more towards the rent but im not sure if this is acceptable under the RAS scheme

thanks again

Family Guy

family guy wrote: »
    Thanks Tony

Were actually living in Dublin, not Limerick, not sure how that confusion happened

I also do stay at the house with my girlfriend but not in an official capacity, I thought I was going to be approved for a mortgage and would be moving into our own home, we were not so it seems like we will be living in the RAS house for the next few months, as I said I will pay more towards the rent but im not sure if this is acceptable under the RAS scheme

thanks again

Family Guy

Hi Mate

LOLO it could be because i mentioned "I want tom move home to limerick" hahaha :D :rolleyes:

Did you say you were nt living at her house? if so just say nothing mate the goverment is taking too much off us so you might as well get what you can.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Kerryspirit

I just want to reply as I have a similar issue.

I live in County Kerry with my 7 year old daughter and she is in school here in Killorglin.
    Now I am really really tired of County Kerry, no jobs and people....welll I do not want to start ;)

Thing is that I have to get back on my feet and that is NOT possible in Kerry and I see there are loads of jobs in my area in County Cork and I always loved West Cork.:rolleyes:
    So I consider moving to County Cork as there are a few jobs which would be interesting.
    My question: Can I move county being on the RAS scheme?
    I mean even its the best option as alternative to the council house (NOOOOOO!!!) and I want to stay on it. But first pain is the landlord to let you out of the house and then the Scheme as well..

Would anybody know if I apply for transfer lets say with good job options, can I move to another county? :confused:

Thanks guys!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

good question!!! did you find an answer

Well I talked to them, Kerry CoCo and they told me I have to start all over again with the RAS scheme.... so I guess I will talk to my Community Welfare Officer again - Rent allowance again?
    Man one thing is sure they dont make it easy for you to go back to work....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Well I talked to them, Kerry CoCo and they told me I have to start all over again with the RAS scheme.... so I guess I will talk to my Community Welfare Officer again - Rent allowance again?
    Man one thing is sure they dont make it easy for you to go back to work....

Why not contact who ever looks after the RAS in Co Cork and see what they say!! may be you wont have to go back on RA for the 18 months ( I think ?) before going on RAS as you have done so all ready and as far as I am aware they are trying to reduce the amount getting RA and putting them on the RAS scheme.

All your looking for is a transfer how long are you in your current house now! as far as I know you need to stay for at least one year before moving :)

Yea they do not make it easy to get back on your feet at all!!

Well I talked also to county cork already man this guy was stressed out ;-) thats the city for you lol and he said i have to start all over again. So I dont even know how it is do I have to go back to RA? Thats very low and what I heard is that on the scheme you can earn more?! And its an alternative to the council house in which if i have to go i shoot myself... in a council estate. they are terrible here in kerry but in cork...only the thought makes me want to jump lol
    I am more than 3 years in my house on the RAS scheme now and i tried so long to get a transfer for a smaller house as mine is soooo big but got refused 12 times lol 3 actually!
    Now out of work TOO long I hope to get my feet back in Cork which looks very good jobwise but am a bit afraid of all the paperwork.. I hate dealing with all that crap - AGAIN!!

i was told it was a 4 year contract which is what i am on what are you on?

Well I thought i m on a three year contract .. its a good thing but when you are in a place you are not happy its really a pain in the.... e ur really stuck!!!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Treehousetim

Cats and dog smell vs homelessness ?are you serious?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

lizzy2013 wrote: »
    pls can anyone give me advice, i am presently in a ras accommodation, i've been there for 5yrs and the landlord gave me quit notice that he wants to sell the house, i contacted ras and they said i should update my details and choose the area i wanted which i did, they told me they had one property next door to where i lived and i said i didn't want to live in the house because i knew the people that moved out of the property had dog and cats leaving in the property and am allergic to the smell and my son is asmatic and allergic to cat smell, and she said she would get back to me. i called every week to find out if they have found any other property for me but they keep ignoring my calls until it as 1wk for the quit notice to expire, they called and said they have no other property for me, that i had to take d same property i refused back then in January. I have refused d property its not an option for me and i've been told that my refusal would mean i will not be rehoused by ras and d local authority. I have 6 more days until d quit notice, i don't know what to do i'm 15wks pregnant and i've got kids, i'm also hypertensive, can someone tell me if one refusal of accommodation can make me homeless
    Beggars can't be choosers as they say. How do you know your current home didn't have a cat or dog in it before you moved in? I bet it did once upon a time. Get your priorities straight for heaven sake's. Get in to the new place and clean it from top to bottom, hire a carpet cleaner if needs be.

basically you have a 3 choices, but only if there are any houses and once you reject all three you are out on your ear. simple as that.

now back to you... I don't know you but i simply can not see how you got the house right beside you. That odd good fortune to me seems to good to be true.

let's look at whats happened to you:

You have been asked to move out of a place you call home for 5 years. A home you know so well, away from your friends and family. To move away from schools and shops??? and were are you offered? right next door? and you say NO!!!

While i understand the whole allergic and asmatic situation very well its a simple fact you clean the house yourself. Of course saying that, you could simply want to leave the area as you may be lazy and unsociable. I am sorry like i said i don't know you so perhaps you are not. but like a previous poster just said Beggars can't be choosers. and Get your priorities straight

I douth any one here will offer help to a troll posting here just for the fun of it but if you are a real person id suggest stop telling porkys and go collect the keys on Monday morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lizzy2013

thanks guys

• Advertisement

:confused:why?

Advertisement