Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modric - Will he stay or go ?

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,744 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

yidweiser wrote: »
    Agree totally. Little long haired mercenary. Good riddance. He really upset the apple cart at the start and end of last season. Now he is somebody else's problem. Bit ironic though, as Dembele behaved the same at Fulham!

Did he? Not impressed to hear that. Thats the modern footballer for you I guess. I think its something we will see more and more off, just look at Clint Dempsey's behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Did he? Not impressed to hear that. Thats the modern footballer for you I guess. I think its something we will see more and more off, just look at Clint Dempsey's behaviour.

Yupp its the way things will happen from now on I reckon, agents will fill their players' heads with all these ideas. Clint Dempsey is a disgrace, to think a player would rather sulk than play the game he supposedly loves is disgraceful.I agree Luka got what he wanted in the end but he did disprupt our team aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭golfball37

Modric was on less money at Spurs than Bentley or Jenas ffs, he was hardly a mercenary. When you work with inferior people getting more money than you then its only natural you would wnat to move on and have some resentment. At the end of the day footballers are not immune to the politics of the workplace.

Levy as an employer would be nothing short of detestable you'd imagine. I know whose word I'd take on the gentlemans agreement btw. That doesn't mean he's not the right man to be at the helm at THFC but in the Luka situation any man would have done the exact same thing as Modric unless they had no ambition or even worse, no stones.

he goes with my blessing and the only regret being teh way it ended up. It worked out well for both sides. Despite the CL fluke in May I bet he's delighted to be in the Bernabaue now rather than West London. I know I'm delighted he's gone from the EPL as he is that good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

KingdomYid wrote: »
    Yupp its the way things will happen from now on I reckon, agents will fill their players' heads with all these ideas. Clint Dempsey is a disgrace, to think a player would rather sulk than play the game he supposedly loves is disgraceful.I agree Luka got what he wanted in the end but he did disprupt our team aswell.

Yeah I guess the system is to blame for a lot of it. There is just no good way to punish players who step out of line. Fine them wages yeah, but they are filthy rich anyway. The thing is that, in any other job, you could sack them for insubordination, but in football that would mean they just get a free transfer, which is exactly what they want.

yidweiser wrote: »
    Agree totally. Little long haired mercenary. Good riddance. He really upset the apple cart at the start and end of last season. Now he is somebody else's problem. Bit ironic though, as Dembele behaved the same at Fulham!

What did he do?

• Advertisement

golfball37 wrote: »

Levy as an employer would be nothing short of detestable you'd imagine. I know whose word I'd take on the gentlemans agreement btw. That doesn't mean he's not the right man to be at the helm at THFC but in the Luka situation any man would have done the exact same thing as Modric unless they had no ambition or even worse, no stones.

This gentleman's agreement stuff is hilarious. Do people really think that Levy promised to let Luka leave for whatever price Real thought was fair?

And that Luka didn't even bother to get that in writing?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

KingdomYid wrote: »
    Yeah, imagine that, an employee actually seeking a pay raise! The cheeky pup..

The double standards in this thread are hilarious to be quite honest, if anyone here had the chance to get a 50% pay raise, while working at a far more prestigious firm, they'd be out the friggin door, and you're lying if you say otherwise. These players, Luka, Dempsey and every other professional player in the game, are employees at the end of the day, it's their job, them seeking better working conditions is not a disgrace, it's perfectly rational in fact. Loyalty only exists when a players club is already proportional to his ability, therefore it's not really loyalty. Loyalty in football is nothing more than a fallacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I'm just thankful we got to see a talent like Luka represent Spurs for 4 years. I wish him all the best in Spain and hope he establishes himself in Reals best XI.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Ormus wrote: »
    This gentleman's agreement stuff is hilarious. Do people really think that Levy promised to let Luka leave for whatever price Real thought was fair?

Did anyone suggest that was the case?
    Ormus wrote: »
    And that Luka didn't even bother to get that in writing?

Do you know something we don't? All I know is Levy is very shrewd, cunning, and underhanded if OL are to be believed.

THFC wrote: »
    Yeah, imagine that, an employee actually seeking a pay raise! The cheeky pup..

The double standards in this thread are hilarious to be quite honest, if anyone here had the chance to get a 50% pay raise, while working at a far more prestigious firm, they'd be out the friggin door, and you're lying if you say otherwise. These players, Luka, Dempsey and every other professional player in the game, are employees at the end of the day, it's their job, them seeking better working conditions is not a disgrace, it's perfectly rational in fact. Loyalty only exists when a players club is already proportional to his ability, therefore it's not really loyalty. Loyalty in football is nothing more than a fallacy.

Yep, well said, footballers are professionals and so they are right to seek the best terms for themselves. Loyalty is for fans, we can't reasonably demand it from players.

It reminds me of when RVP left Arsenal and people were saying they stood by him when he was injured so he should repay that loyalty. They stood by him cos he was a very talented player and they wouldn't have got much money for selling an injured player.

But at the same time, if footballers wanna be professional, they have to act professional. The game needs to devise some way to prevent players from sulking, refusing to train, agitating for a move. It's unprofessional and disrespectful behaviour and is never adequately punished.

• Advertisement

Did anyone suggest that was the case?

Do you know something we don't? All I know is Levy is very shrewd, cunning, and underhanded if OL are to be believed.

It seemed to be suggested by you and golfball, no? If not, then what is the gentleman's agreement supposed to have been?

Surely the definition of a gentleman's agreement is that it isn't in writing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

What a screamer he scored tonight. Looks like he has beefed up as well-part of me wishes he was still at WHL:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Ilik Urgee wrote: »
    What a screamer he scored tonight. Looks like he has beefed up as well-part of me wishes he was still at WHL:(

To be honest I think before tonight part of him wished he was still at WHL too. The Madrid fans haven't warmed to him like the Spurs fans and he's mostly been a shadow of the player he was at Spurs.

Changed the game though. How **** was Kaka...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Obviously watching Bale videos before tonight's game!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Modric and dembele would be some partnership

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

mickman wrote: »
    Modric and dembele would be some partnership

True. I haven't seem him much at madrid but heard he wasn't having the best time. Not including his wonder strike I thought he was the best player on the pitch tonight. He was Instrumental in Real's playmaking

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Where? On his buttocks? Looked the same to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Weathering wrote: »
    True. I haven't seem him much at madrid but heard he wasn't having the best time. Not including his wonder strike I thought he was the best player on the pitch tonight. He was Instrumental in Real's playmaking

He changed the game. I was thinking before hand that he should have started. He was top class

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

He's hardly got a sniff since going to Madrid, was excellent when he came on last night in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Hatch99 wrote: »
    He's hardly got a sniff since going to Madrid, was excellent when he came on last night in fairness.

true albeit against 10 men ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

yiddo59 wrote: »
    true albeit against 10 men ;)

Correct squire, plenty of space for him

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

He was very good in fairness the issue is not if he's good enough to play for Madrid he is but that he has so many great players already in front of him that there simply isn't room for him that said his goal last night which was far more important than Ronaldo's goal was probably worth the 30m to Real

Advertisement