Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modric - Will he stay or go ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I have to agree. Either players agree to sign shorter contracts, which may not be as financially beneficial to the player but would allow them to move clubs with greater ease, or they sign their longer contracts and shut up.

I'm getting really annoyed with his behaviour now and at the moment would prefer for him to go. Having said that, I'd see if there were any teams on the continent who fancied him rather than sell him locally. And I also agree on the fee - £40m and nothing less. Regardless of whether he's worth that or not, as Modric stated in his interview, the deal has to be beneficial to both parties before being considered, and less than £40m is not beneficial to the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭oppiuy

Im kinda laughing at skysports this morning. "Luka threatens to had in a transfer request" is the headline. As if thats some sort action that we will back down over.

He needs to stay this season, even if its in the reserves. If he goes we can forget about ever challenging as our players will always be for sale

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

SuprSi wrote: »
    I have to agree. Either players agree to sign shorter contracts, which may not be as financially beneficial to the player but would allow them to move clubs with greater ease, or they sign their longer contracts and shut up.

I'm getting really annoyed with his behaviour now and at the moment would prefer for him to go. Having said that, I'd see if there were any teams on the continent who fancied him rather than sell him locally. And I also agree on the fee - £40m and nothing less. Regardless of whether he's worth that or not, as Modric stated in his interview, the deal has to be beneficial to both parties before being considered, and less than £40m is not beneficial to the club.

Agreed.............If he goes he better cross the channel. I dont want to see him in the premiership playing for a team we may very well be fighting against for a CL spot next yr. It will bite us in the arse if he goes across London or up to Man ****y. Of to Spain or Italy with him......................

I think Levy has done all he can here. Modric has forced Levys hand here and Modric has thrown his tantrum I think Levy would be the bigger man to admit he cant keep him and ship him out asap to Europe.

I wonder if QPR can afford him...................that will teach the little turncoat!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,744 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Levy is going to look like a fool if he backs down now.

Levy/HR are playing good cop/bad cop and it hasnt worked out.

The only way Levy can save face now is if Modric is made to look like the villian here.

If he hands in a transfer request and the media are played in the right way then spurs fans will turn on Luka and then Levy gets the 40m and he looks like a hero.

The ball is still in our court - he's got 5 years on his contract before it runs out. I say we force him to stay for at least another year, even if he plays sh1te and ends up in the stands, as long as we get the 16.5m we paid for him then its a gamble worth taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,744 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Who was that player that was sold to Coventry City for 2 days a few years ago 912-15 years ago) - it was just a scam so that the player could then move on to his original destination ????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Bodie Doyle

Levy is going to look like a fool if he backs down now.

Levy/HR are playing good cop/bad cop and it hasnt worked out.

The only way Levy can save face now is if Modric is made to look like the villian here.

If he hands in a transfer request and the media are played in the right way then spurs fans will turn on Luka and then Levy gets the 40m and he looks like a hero.

The ball is still in our court - he's got 5 years on his contract before it runs out. I say we force him to stay for at least another year, even if he plays sh1te and ends up in the stands, as long as we get the 16.5m we paid for him then its a gamble worth taking.

If a bid of 40m + comes in for Modric then Levy will take it. At the moment its all just posturing. He is trying to appeal to the fans by saying he will not let Modric leave. If Modric sulks ( which looks very likely) Levy said he would let him rot on the bench or in the reserves. That is such a joke as everyone know Levy is a businessman ( cast your mind back to 2008/9 season when he sold both Keane and Berba for top money but left us with no strikers ). There is no way that Levy will keep Modric knowing he will not put in a wholehearted shift on the pitch when we have a multi million pound deal on the table.
    Lets not forget that the club is also trying to redevelop the stadium. If we sold Modric and get 40 million and the money was then given to HR to buy a top striker then i would not be too downbeat. But this is Tottenham and I can see the money from his sale going straight into the redevelopoment of WHL leaving us short of players again.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭sniffingchimp

The way I look it, it's as simple as this:

Modric wanted to leave but had the grace to sign a new 5 year contract under the condition that he would be sold if one of his favoured clubs comes in for him - allows Spurs to command greater fee etc and Modric gets his way.

Now Levy is reneging on that deal and I dont blame Modric for being upset.

Would hate to lose him, truly, but if he's not happy better to let him go and hopefully spend the money on players not improving the grounds :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Modric wanted to leave but had the grace to sign a new 5 year contract under the condition that he would be sold if one of his favoured clubs comes in for him - allows Spurs to command greater fee etc and Modric gets his way.

Maybe that is what we're doing. At the end of the day, he signed a 5 year contract, and he's got no way to force a move. Let him hand in a transfer request, and we can just reject it.

I've always liked Modric, but this has really turned me against him. He's gone about the move in completely the wrong way, and his constant moaning to the press is getting far too old. Gentleman's agreement to allow him to go to a bigger club? That doesn't mean we sell you for nothing. At this stage, if we get a 30+ million offer we should just ship him out. But if Chelsea think they can make a sub 30 million offer, they can **** right off.

If he does go, i'll be worried about the club as a whole. If we can't keep our best players every year, what's the point? Ohh, let's buy someone good....and sell him on once someone else wants him.

Kiith wrote: »
    Maybe that is what we're doing. At the end of the day, he signed a 5 year contract, and he's got no way to force a move. Let him hand in a transfer request, and we can just reject it.

I've always liked Modric, but this has really turned me against him. He's gone about the move in completely the wrong way, and his constant moaning to the press is getting far too old. Gentleman's agreement to allow him to go to a bigger club? That doesn't mean we sell you for nothing. At this stage, if we get a 30+ million offer we should just ship him out. But if Chelsea think they can make a sub 30 million offer, they can **** right off.

If he does go, i'll be worried about the club as a whole. If we can't keep our best players every year, what's the point? Ohh, let's buy someone good....and sell him on once someone else wants him.

Agree with all your points, obviously he is only to be sold at a fair price, and if Andy Carroll can go at that price, then we should be getting at least 35-40 million for Modric. But yeah, we're ****ed without him. Problem is once a player is openly unhappy, it's only a matter of time. The Premiership is getting worse year by year regards people jumping ship at the drop of a hat i.e We've got more money for your players than you can afford to pay them/We can sign anyone with our bags of money.

Money's killing this f*cking league.

Would hate to lose him, truly, but if he's not happy better to let him go and hopefully spend the money on players not improving the grounds :(

You also have to remember that we took a chance a few seasons back and paid 16m for the lightweight Croatian. It wasn't looking like a great deal under Ramos and the early part of Harrys reign but it has worked over the last 18 months. But Spurs played a huge part in the player getting plaudits from other teams and fans. We don't owe him anything. He was given a new long term deal in recognition of his outstanding play. I don't buy the "Modric had the grace to sign a 5 year contract". It was his decision and he should honour his contract.

• Advertisement

You also have to remember that we took a chance a few seasons back and paid 16m for the lightweight Croatian. It wasn't looking like a great deal under Ramos and the early part of Harrys reign but it has worked over the last 18 months. But Spurs played a huge part in the player getting plaudits from other teams and fans. We don't owe him anything. He was given a new long term deal in recognition of his outstanding play. I don't buy the "Modric had the grace to sign a 5 year contract". It was his decision and he should honour his contract.

Hmmm, I dont know whether I'd agree that we were taking a chance - he had already very much established himself as a player to watch, with numerous rewards and played in quite a physical league already. I agree he was a bit of a slow burn but there's always an adjustment period.

Anyway, I DO agree that he has signed a contract, but it's possible this was only signed as a favour to Spurs to get as high a transfer fee as possible should they come calling.

End of the day, I really think Modric is not a guy to complain without warrant, and we all know what a prick Levy can be (like most Chairmen).

I would hate to see him go, I think we'll be in big trouble without him, but I'm just not willing to square all the blame at Luka.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭golfball37

Who was that player that was sold to Coventry City for 2 days a few years ago 912-15 years ago) - it was just a scam so that the player could then move on to his original destination ????

Well remembered. Robert Jarni the Croatian left back, ironically a countryman of LM.

Dietmar Hamann was the same, Man City signed him from Bolton, not Liverpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭golfball37

To play Devils advocate for a second.

Daniel Levy is the man determined to move Spurs to the Olympic stadium against the wishes of the majority of the fans. He is doing this so he can make a quick sale and a massive buck. This i also the man who courted Ramos whilst Jol was still in the job and hadn’t the decency to tell MJ what the whole stadium know that night vs Getafe -that Jol was gone.
    Now this same shyster pays the best player we’ve had in a long time approximately half of what Robbie Keane gets paid over a 6 year period but assures that player any offer that comes in whereby this player can better himself will be discussed.
    Fast forward 1 year and he refuses to discuss the possibility of a transfer with Modric who now knows his wages are ridiculous, almost insulting in fact. Would you blame Modric for being upset??
    I don’t want to sell our best players but I know whose name I’ve cheered more in the last 2 years out of Levy & Modric and it ain’t Danny.
    For what its worth I believe Modric was tapped up by Chelsea and the money is what's seducing him. Football wise they are not much better than us, club wise and supporter wise they are not even better than us. Modric’s agent has obviously made it known to Chelsea about the gentleman’s agreement that's why they came in with such a derisory offer imo.

We should sell but not to an English club imo.

Do we know that he's only on 35k? Or is this just a rumour? I can't see how any player of his quality would accept 35k a week. Sounds bull**** tbh.

35k a week is an awful wage for footballers...i ****ing hate footballers :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

modric had the grace to sign a contract ????

he signed the deal cos it was a pay rise for him and he was happy at the club at the time. if he saw himself leaving down the road then he shouldnt have signed such a long term contract.

spurs got a rubbish offer from chelsea (22 million) and it was rejected straight away, its as simple as that. if they came in with 40 then levy would probably talk

u hardly expect levy to say to luca and his agent that we will pretend to play hardball to boost up the price. levy will get the most for the player but id say he is gone and off with him now the little toad. he has lost all his fans at the lane and his situation is now untenable

mickman wrote: »
    modric had the grace to sign a contract ????

he signed the deal cos it was a pay rise for him and he was happy at the club at the time. if he saw himself leaving down the road then he shouldnt have signed such a long term contract.

spurs got a rubbish offer from chelsea (22 million) and it was rejected straight away, its as simple as that. if they came in with 40 then levy would probably talk

u hardly expect levy to say to luca and his agent that we will pretend to play hardball to boost up the price. levy will get the most for the player but id say he is gone and off with him now the little toad. he has lost all his fans at the lane and his situation is now untenable

Signing a long term contract is really just upping the bargaining chip for a club, they're not worth anything anymore regards a player's intentions. The way I look at it, Modric wanted out, agreed with Levy that if a big club (not that we're tiny!) came looking for him, Levy would be in a good position contractwise to sell for big money and all would be fine.

I've no doubt that Levy is holding out for big money and he should do - but right now Luka should go. Dont want it to happen but it's going to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Essien out for 6months now...

SSN outside the training ground with rumours of an improved bid this evening.
    Redknapp interview: £22m is a joke, they'll have to make an improved offer, Luka has had his head turned by the money, wages x 3.... http://bcove.me/v8v6soe7

I expect Luka thought a bid of £22m was enough for Spurs to let him go (honour the gentlemen's agreement), Levy must have told him he was worth £40m+...

Only a matter of time now....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Is levy just trying to paint the picture that Modric is the bad boy and is demanding a transfer, and is a negative influence etc... hence we have to negotiate a deal of some sort ?

just saw this

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,11668_7032502,00.html

in todays update on HR TV, he didn't say he's not for sale, he said it's down to the chairman :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭hotspur147

time to let him go i'm afraid,although the whole affair stinks of "tapping up" and greed.chelsea have told him how to get out of spurs....i.e. rock the boat till u get yer way..."gentlemans agreement" my b0ll1x,who signs a 5/6 year deal only for them to want out after 6 months?
    to be honest i don't even want him at spurs anymore,get 30 mill + sturridge for him and good riddance.
    1 thing i would like to see happen is.....press conference,just levy + modric and make the little ****e ask to go to chelsea.
    at least he'll be in good company,terry,lampard,cole,anelka...all fine upstanding gentlemen i'm sure u will all agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

hotspur147 wrote: »
    at least he'll be in good company,terry,lampard,cole,anelka...all fine upstanding gentlemen i'm sure u will all agree.

Of all the clubs to want to join...can't stand 'em.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

£27m bid, having a laugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

he's 100% gone, just like Berbatov

Chelsea are taking the piss with their offers. £27 million for one of the best midfielders of last year? **** right off. Regardless of what 'gentlemans agreement' Modric had with Levy, unless Chelsea make a realistic offer he's going no where.

At this stage though, i'd be fairly certain that he'll be gone within the month.

Quick question....Spurs have said he's not for sale, regardless of the offer. Yet Chelsea keep making offers/unsettling the player. Can't Spurs make a complaint to the FA about Chelsea? I thought unsettling players wasn't allowed anymore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Kiith wrote: »
    Quick question....Spurs have said he's not for sale, regardless of the offer. Yet Chelsea keep making offers/unsettling the player. Can't Spurs make a complaint to the FA about Chelsea? I thought unsettling players wasn't allowed anymore?

dont think that there is anything wrong with making public bids . if they were talking to him in the quiet then it would be different

27 million isnt enough and they know it .its a simple job of agreeing a price now id say

mickman wrote: »
    its a simple job of agreeing a price now id say

But Sir Daniel said he's not for sale :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Hatch99 wrote: »
    But Sir Daniel said he's not for sale :confused:

He's never lied before?

From the start it's just about getting maximum value from the sale.

Which is fair enough I suppose, does get cringeworthy though.

• Advertisement

hotspur147 wrote: »
    time to let him go i'm afraid,although the whole affair stinks of "tapping up" and greed.chelsea have told him how to get out of spurs....i.e. rock the boat till u get yer way..."gentlemans agreement" my b0ll1x,who signs a 5/6 year deal only for them to want out after 6 months?
    to be honest i don't even want him at spurs anymore,get 30 mill + sturridge for him and good riddance.
    1 thing i would like to see happen is.....press conference,just levy + modric and make the little ****e ask to go to chelsea.

What about Benayoun? Doesn't he still play for Chelsea? If i remember correctly he was a similar (not as good as but still not bad) type of player and as ugly as the little Croatian ****.
    Sturridge, Benayoun plus 30m and we have a deal.

Advertisement