Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modric - Will he stay or go ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Lukker- wrote: »
    :pac:

Happy we didn't get him for £40m, too much to be giving to Levy!

dont be telling porkies , yere all crying over in the SF due to the fact chelski have no creative midfielder now.

personally i would have sold modric to QPR for 40 quid than give him to you guys. So much for Modric being tapped up eh?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Not a Levy fan but fairplay to him for keeping his word and holding onto Modric.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Not sure keeping Modric has done Spurs or Chelsea any favours. Keeping unhappy players doesn't always end well. Spurs could have got far more than the player is worth by selling, and Chelsea would have got the supposed key to making Torres a good player.

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Not sure keeping Modric has done Spurs or Chelsea any favours. Keeping unhappy players doesn't always end well. Spurs could have got far more than the player is worth by selling, and Chelsea would have got the supposed key to making Torres a good player.

It's not Levy job to do Chelsea favours. ;) If Modric really wanted to go he could have handed in a transfer request!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

yiddo59 wrote: »
    Not a Levy fan but fairplay to him for keeping his word and holding onto Modric.

+1, didn't think he'd still be here, so fair play Mr Levy..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Hatch99 wrote: »
    +1, didn't think he'd still be here, so fair play Mr Levy..

Agree aswell, he stuck to his guns and did not let another Berbatov situation happen.

Haha, think its great. Shows the Russians billions cant buy him everything he wants. COYS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

KingdomYid wrote: »

Haha, think its great. Shows the Russians billions cant buy him everything he wants. COYS

Playground cutting off your nose to spite your face imo

Playground cutting off your nose to spite your face imo

I tend to disagree, Levy has done what any good chairman would have done in the circumstances. He has not sold his star player to strengthen one of his rivals. Also Modric has not got his own way after signing a 6 year contract last season. If anything this is a good day for football, as the player has not won the day. He will just have to knuckle down and earn his wages now. As was previously stated on here, it is not Levy's job to improve Chelsea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

yiddo59 wrote: »
    It's not Levy job to do Chelsea favours. ;) If Modric really wanted to go he could have handed in a transfer request!

im fairly sure he did hand in a request

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Bodie Doyle

So Levy has stuck to his guns and turned down Chelsea. In the modern game its good to see someone taking a firm stance against the mega rich clubs. But 40m is a lot of money lads and IMO Modric is not worth it. He refused to play against Man u and did not want to play against City. What makes you think he is going to bust his guts out playing for Spurs now they have refused to let him earn triple his wages elsewhere. You can be sure that by the time the next transfer window is open we would be lucky to get anywhere near that amount.
    Just think what we could have done with the 40m. The offer was made on Tuesday evening so we still had plenty of time to buy a few players. Cahill would now be a Spurs player and we could have bought another decent centre forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

So Levy has stuck to his guns and turned down Chelsea. In the modern game its good to see someone taking a firm stance against the mega rich clubs. But 40m is a lot of money lads and IMO Modric is not worth it. He refused to play against Man u and did not want to play against City. What makes you think he is going to bust his guts out playing for Spurs now they have refused to let him earn triple his wages elsewhere. You can be sure that by the time the next transfer window is open we would be lucky to get anywhere near that amount.
    Just think what we could have done with the 40m. The offer was made on Tuesday evening so we still had plenty of time to buy a few players. Cahill would now be a Spurs player and we could have bought another decent centre forward.

40m is a lot, but that was offered too late to make any reasonable purchases. Plus, what makes you think Levy would have allowed that money to be spent? To my mind, Levy is keeping Modric until next summer. He'll sell him off for at least 30m (let's face it - his value is not going to drop off) and give that money to whoever the new manager is going to be.

I think Modric will get into the swing of things to be honest, now that a move away from the club is, for the moment at least, gone.

SuprSi wrote: »
    40m is a lot, but that was offered too late to make any reasonable purchases. Plus, what makes you think Levy would have allowed that money to be spent? To my mind, Levy is keeping Modric until next summer. He'll sell him off for at least 30m (let's face it - his value is not going to drop off) and give that money to whoever the new manager is going to be.

I think Modric will get into the swing of things to be honest, now that a move away from the club is, for the moment at least, gone.

Levy just got 20m from Stoke, 4m from Villa (i think for Hutton), 3m for Robbie Keane, and got rid of Woodgate, Bentley and Jenas from the wages bill. With 40m on top of that I am sure we could have made a purchase or two.
    Why do u assume his value will not drop? 40m is the second highest offer ever between two Premier league clubs. Unless he plays out of his skin for the next few months i cannot see us getting near a 40m offer again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Levy just got 20m from Stoke, 4m from Villa (i think for Hutton), 3m for Robbie Keane, and got rid of Woodgate, Bentley and Jenas from the wages bill. With 40m on top of that I am sure we could have made a purchase or two.
    Why do u assume his value will not drop? 40m is the second highest offer ever between two Premier league clubs. Unless he plays out of his skin for the next few months i cannot see us getting near a 40m offer again.

I agree that 40m won't be offered again, but Levy's pride was obviously worth it. That and the fact that we wouldn't have been able to recruit suitable replacements within 24 hours and the teams performances would likely have suffered (though I'm not sure whether Levy really cares too much about that)

I also agree that we could have made a purchase or two and as I said in the Transfer Gossip thread, I'm very disappointed that we didn't as everyone else did. It was clear as day that we needed reinforcements.

To be honest it's only a matter of time until all of our key players are gone anyway. Money talks, and wages unbelievably are still going up. With us unlikely to make the CL this year, and not paying the sort of wages Chelsea/City/Utd/etc offer, I wouldn't be surprised to see quite a few players 'doing a Modric' next summer and Levy will have no choice but to buckle.

SuprSi wrote: »
    I agree that 40m won't be offered again, but Levy's pride was obviously worth it. That and the fact that we wouldn't have been able to recruit suitable replacements within 24 hours and the teams performances would likely have suffered (though I'm not sure whether Levy really cares too much about that)

I also agree that we could have made a purchase or two and as I said in the Transfer Gossip thread, I'm very disappointed that we didn't as everyone else did. It was clear as day that we needed reinforcements.

To be honest it's only a matter of time until all of our key players are gone anyway. Money talks, and wages unbelievably are still going up. With us unlikely to make the CL this year, and not paying the sort of wages Chelsea/City/Utd/etc offer, I wouldn't be surprised to see quite a few players 'doing a Modric' next summer and Levy will have no choice but to buckle.

I wouldn't be that pessimistic to say all our best players are gone but we may have to change our wage structure to keep a hold of them in the future. I just think this transfer window was an opportunity missed for us. We could/should have bought Cahill. Adebayor, Parker and Cahill would have been made this transfer winfow a huge success now its not so much. If we missed out on Cahill due to Levy not willing to pay an extra million or two, we should be furious. The sale of Modric could have financed that deal and a few more.
    We also didn't have to replace Modric with a similar player. Hudd, Sandro, Parker, Niko and IMO VDV can all play CM. We only need 2 of them.

Really Levy cant win, if he sold Modric we would be considered as a selling club once again, and now that he has stood firm against the blue scum people are saying he should have been sold. Lets just all get behind the team now and support them as the window is shut and there is no point saying what might have been. COYS!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

40 million would have been my sale point, but not the DAY before the transfer dealine. Levy was right to reject it so late.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

BERBA wrote: »
    dont be telling porkies , yere all crying over in the SF due to the fact chelski have no creative midfielder now.

personally i would have sold modric to QPR for 40 quid than give him to you guys. So much for Modric being tapped up eh?;)

You'll find that I wasn't one of them :)

We'll see who it worked out better for come January :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Looks like Luka's bought new shooting boots..?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Modric's doubt was one of the major reasons behind his desire to join Chelsea last summer and why negotiations to improve his £45,000-a-year contract at Spurs are dragging on.

I knew we were getting a bargain but that's taking the piss!:pac:

Would not believe much of what that particular source says to be honest. That paper has been on a crusade to make his transfer happen since the beginning of the summer. Since the rumours had quitened down i think they just want to stoke the flames again and print rubbish because we are nearing November and the window only opens in two months, I personally will not read anything from this particular paper again :mad:

Would not believe much of what that particular source says to be honest. That paper has been on a crusade to make his transfer happen since the beginning of the summer. Since the rumours had quitened down i think they just want to stoke the flames again and print rubbish because we are nearing November and the window only opens in two months, I personally will not read anything from this particular paper again :mad:

:D your probably right mate.

Great news if true. It looks like we might finally be becoming the club that we all dreamt would happen. Still I guess this all hinges on us keeping up this great form and getting back into the champions league. If we can beat them on December 22 it will be so sweet in so many ways :D

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Mullo76

Great news if true. It looks like we might finally be becoming the club that we all dreamt would happen. Still I guess this all hinges on us keeping up this great form and getting back into the champions league. If we can beat them on December 22 it will be so sweet in so many ways :D
    great as it is I hope we don't go nuts like other clubs have an become financially unviable. Northumberland redevelopment is a must if we want to
    Pay wages like this. Spoil sport I know.

Mullo76 wrote: »
    great as it is I hope we don't go nuts like other clubs have an become financially unviable. Northumberland redevelopment is a must if we want to
    Pay wages like this. Spoil sport I know.

Yes Mark, I know exactly what you mean but Mr. Levy is a pretty shrewd man so I am sure he will have it all under control.

It's that time of year again :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

He'll go when Levy says he can go.

In Levy we Trust

• Advertisement

BERBA wrote: »
    He'll go when Levy says he can go.

In Levy we Trust

true though I wouldn't trust Levy as far as I'd throw him :D

Advertisement