Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modric - Will he stay or go ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭yidweiser

He is defo gone in my mind and good riddens!
    The chap hasn't put a shift in since February.
    Minding himself for the Euros shop window.
    Hope he has a great tournament and we get maximum money for him.
    He never turns up in the big games for us.
    One swallow doesn't make a summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,744 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

I never thought for a second that he would leaver (i.e. would be allowed to leave) last summer but I think its best for all parties that he moves on this summer.

Harry's made plenty of noises about only having players who want to be at the club etc etc so I think he's okay with it. It depends on Levy I suppose.

I dont agree with the various comments (not just yours yidweiser) about Modric not putting in the effort in since Feb. I think he did as well (or as bad in this case) as the rest of our players. The whole team suffered a dip in form and thats bound to have effected his form. Also, he wasn't the only player in the PL to be careful about staying injury free for the euro's in fairness. I think he, like several other players suffered from fatigue due to the lack of rest/rotation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Who is a viable replacement if he does go?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

flyswatter wrote: »
    That's what has me worried most, whoever we get in will be a step down, even if we somehow land Hazard, Ganso or Lucas. There are very few players that do what Modric do. We should look to the Iberian peninsula imo, Moutinho would be a fantastic replacement, as would Munain at Bilbao. With Villareal relegated a lot of their players will come cheap, Valero could be a decent shout. Christian Eriksen at Ajax would be a fantastic signing, but he, along with Moutinho and Munain, would cost >£20 million. Whoever we get in has to be able to come straight into the first team, we need someone to link midfield with the attack. If no replacement is signed I think we could struggle big time next year.

Thats the concern alright.

Players like Modric dont come along very often and when they do, they sure as hell dont sign for spurs.

I think getting a like-for-like replacement is near on impossible. We may get used to the idea that the CM midfield next year will be some combination of Parker/Sandro/hudd/VDV/Livermore and possibly Pienarr. Which on the face if it still I pretty damn good MF when you add lennon and Bale.

I'm much rather we concentrated on signing 2 strikers and a CB before getting a modric replacement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

flyswatter wrote: »

As has been said already, we won't be able to attract a player to the club who is of the same class as Luka. Maybe we shouldn't try? Maybe we should go with a midfield of Sandro and Parker. It would be more defensive than last season of course, but fairly normal compared to how teams usually line up.

We would still have Lennon, Bale, VdV and Adebayor to take care of the attacking side of things, and Parker and Sandro could take turns to make forward runs.

Use the money from selling Luka to buy another striker and a back up winger.

Exactly. Parker and Sandro should probably play together in away games anyway - especially against the tougher teams.

I think there is a lot more to come from Sandro. I think he could become a more box to box player, like Petite was for arsenal.

Exactly. Parker and Sandro should probably play together in away games anyway - especially against the tougher teams.

I think there is a lot more to come from Sandro. I think he could become a more box to box player, like Petite was for arsenal.

Yeah I think Sandro is obviously not as good a passer as Luka but he is faster and stronger and better in the air. Neither of them are great finishers but I'd fancy Sandro to get a couple more goals.

Thats if Luka goes. I'm still not sure where the bids are gonna come from.

A midfield of Sandro and Parker next season and we'll struggle. There will be no fluidity to our play, the possesion game that we excelled at last/this season from September to February will be rendered useless with that CM partnership. If Modric goes we need to get in someone to replace him, even if it is a big step down. Look at Arsenal, Arteta was a massive step-down from Fabs, but he was still excellent for Arsenal all season, and they even lost their way when he got injured. If they had played Song and Diaby in the middle all season they wouldn't have done half as well, and that's with RvP. We need someone like an Arteta, that's a very capable passer of the ball and won't break the bank, unfortunately, these players are as rare as they come. To repeat, he needs to be replaced, even if it's with someone like Stu Holden, Cabaye from Newcastle would be an excellent signing.

Valero is apparently on his way to Malaga, we can't compete with their money. I really think he would have been a good signing for us.

• Advertisement

THFC wrote: »
    A midfield of Sandro and Parker next season and we'll struggle. There will be no fluidity to our play, the possesion game that we excelled at last/this season from September to February will be rendered useless with that CM partnership. If Modric goes we need to get in someone to replace him, even if it is a big step down. Look at Arsenal, Arteta was a massive step-down from Fabs, but he was still excellent for Arsenal all season, and they even lost their way when he got injured. If they had played Song and Diaby in the middle all season they wouldn't have done half as well, and that's with RvP. We need someone like an Arteta, that's a very capable passer of the ball and won't break the bank, unfortunately, these players are as rare as they come. To repeat, he needs to be replaced, even if it's with someone like Stu Holden, Cabaye from Newcastle would be an excellent signing.

I'm not sure Luka is that amazing at the possession game really. I think we would miss his positivity and forward momentum and starting attacks. Stu Holden is more a Scott Parker type of player. Cabaye would be ideal, but Newcastle would demand a king's ransom for him.

Valero is apparently on his way to Malaga, we can't compete with their money. I really think he would have been a good signing for us.

in what craxy world can we not compete with Malaga? did they get taken over by a billionaire or something (dont really follow the Spainish footy)?

Ormus wrote: »
    I'm not sure Luka is that amazing at the possession game really. I think we would miss his positivity and forward momentum and starting attacks. Stu Holden is more a Scott Parker type of player. Cabaye would be ideal, but Newcastle would demand a king's ransom for him.

What about Yossi Benayoun, his loan is up at arsenal. Wouldnt cost all that much would he?

What about Yossi Benayoun, his loan is up at arsenal. Wouldnt cost all that much would he?

Part exchange maybe! :(

in what craxy world can we not compete with Malaga? did they get taken over by a billionaire or something (dont really follow the Spainish footy)?
    :D Yes they did, and they're buying like crazy. They've recently (last summer) bought the like of Demichellis, Toulalan, Santi Cazorla, Mathijsen, Baptista, Jaoquin and Julio Baptista. Van Nistelrooy also just played a season there but has retired as I'm sure you've heard. They'll be the next European superpower, well, themselves or PSG. Both teams now have CL to offer too, and for going to Malaga, that and competing with Barca and Real will be a major pull factor. I can see Malaga being more dominant than PSG on account of the fact they're in La Liga. They'll be challenging Real and Barca by the 14/15 season at the latest.

I'm not going to bother argue this, but the €40 million offered for him last season wasn't for his 'positivity' and 'forward momentum'. Watch him play this summer in the Euro's and count how many times he gives the ball away, you'll only need the one hand.

I'm not going to bother argue this, but the €40 million offered for him last season wasn't for his 'positivity' and 'forward momentum'. Watch him play this summer in the Euro's and count how many times he gives the ball away, you'll only need the one hand.

Kinda looks like you are arguing with it. The £40 million offer was because he is a bloody good player who gives a team good forward momentum with his darting runs and incisive passes. He isn't a possession footballer, he is much more direct than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Funny you say that. I used to shout this from the rooftops to anyone who would listen. But, since Feb/March, I've quietened down somewhat. I hate to say it, as I love Modric as a player, but he gave the ball away a lot - relatively!

Kinda looks like you are arguing with it. The £40 million offer was because he is a bloody good player who gives a team good forward momentum with his darting runs and incisive passes. He isn't a possession footballer, he is much more direct than that.
    If he was more direct he'd have more goals and assists, by and large he plays quite deep, he does join the attack as much as he can but more often than not he's the one linking the play from defence to attack, you rarely see him in the box. Of the goals he's scored this year, I can only remember them being shots outside the box.

Funny you say that. I used to shout this from the rooftops to anyone who would listen. But, since Feb/March, I've quietened down somewhat. I hate to say it, as I love Modric as a player, but he gave the ball away a lot - relatively!
    This surprises me a lot, I've no figures to back myself up here but he always seems to be the fulcrum of our play, he's the man the players all look to, i'd be genuinely surprised if his pass completion percentage wasn't above 70/80%.

• Advertisement

This surprises me a lot, I've no figures to back myself up here but he always seems to be the fulcrum of our play, he's the man the players all look to, i'd be genuinely surprised if his pass completion percentage wasn't above 70/80%.

He is the fulcrum of our play, he runs all over the pitch and is always available to take a pass. But he doesn't go in for too many short sideways passes, a la Carrick or Mikel. He turns and presses forward at every opportunity. The fact that he is willing to take a chance means that his possession stats will never be that impressive. Doesn't mean he wastes possession. Stats don't tell the whole story.

If he was more direct he'd have more goals and assists, by and large he plays quite deep, he does join the attack as much as he can but more often than not he's the one linking the play from defence to attack, you rarely see him in the box. Of the goals he's scored this year, I can only remember them being shots outside the box.

He does play quite deep, he is almost always at the start of the attack and if we press higher up, he will wait about 15-25 yards outside the box. What I'm saying is that he isn't a conservative passer. He is a starter of attacks, not a finisher.

IMO, he isn't the player who is constantly probing for a defense spilting pass to a CF or down the channels for a winger to run on it. Yes, he can do this from time to time for sure. But last season specfically he was was more a 'go to' man that defense looked for to set up the next attack - sometimes with a simple pass forward or side ways. He always looks like he has time on the ball and is never rushed into making a pass. I cant think of another spurs player in the recent passt (<10 years) so could do this.

Oh well, looks we all see Luka in different ways. For me, The Hud or Carrick are far better at keeping possession, but far inferior players to Luka.

He does play quite deep, he is almost always at the start of the attack and if we press higher up, he will wait about 15-25 yards outside the box. What I'm saying is that he isn't a conservative passer. He is a starter of attacks, not a finisher.
    But you said he was more direct up above:confused:
    He's well able to retain possesion when the sitaution calls for it. How many times this season have we seen Spurs push opponents all the way back into their box, and more often than not Modric would be the man 25 yards from goal just keeping the ball moving, he's not a Lampard or a Gerrard type player, more of a Xavi.

But you said he was more direct up above:confused:
    He's well able to retain possesion when the sitaution calls for it. How many times this season have we seen Spurs push opponents all the way back into their box, and more often than not Modric would be the man 25 yards from goal just keeping the ball moving, he's not a Lampard or a Gerrard type player, more of a Xavi.

He is direct! That doesn't mean he is a goalscorer. He tends to pass it forward rather than get into the box himself or shoot.

Ah, we'll have to agree to disagree so. I don't want to argue it any further.

By 'direct' you mean that he's a more attacking, offensive player rather a player you players who plays in a 'direct style' (i.e. longer but more inaccurate passes etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭gar

from sky sports:
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11662_2705370,00.html

Passers Team Passes Accuracy
    Williams Swansea 2474 85%
    Modric Tottenham 2394 88%
    Arteta Everton/Arsenal 2303 91%
    Yaya Touré Man City 2288 90%
    Rangel Swansea 2162 84%

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/players/profile.statistics.html/luka-modric#clubsTabsAttacking

http://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/2/Seasons/2935/Stages/5476/PlayerStatistics/England-Premier-League-2011-2012

In all of those links he is pretty much top 5 in the league...

not such a bad player

• Advertisement

3rd in PL regarding pass completion, glad to see the stats reinforce my point.

Advertisement