Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching 18 girls how to dance...but I can't dance.

Options
  • 06-07-2011 8:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone,

Just posting here to see if anyone can help me. I've recently started teaching in a Summer camp here in Spain for the month in quite a well-off area with a lot of rich kids and they originally needed a dance teacher so the kids could do dance but as they couldn't find an English speaking dance teacher in short notice, they asked me if I'd be a dance assistant as in just help them out and keep an eye on them. A lot of the students got into it but a fair few didn't because of differing ages within the group and different tastes in music. One of the students complained to her parents that I didn't teach them anything and she was bored...and the mother complained to the school.

Basically I've got 18 girls from the ages of 7 to 14 who want to dance but I can't dance, not properly anyway (I can dance in a club and I dance around my house sometimes when no one is home) and am not a dance teacher. I need ideas on how to get them all involved. They want to do street dancing (is that what it's called? Dancing to Rhianna, Black Eyed Peas etc). Any ideas would be most welcome. I just need to get them all up and making up their own routines but because the group is of such varied ages and many of them are strangers, it's difficult.

Thanks guys.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

get a few vodka and red bull into you before you start, throw on the tunes, bust a few moves,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

get a few vodka and red bull into you before you start, throw on the tunes, bust a few moves,

Did that on Tuesday. They weren't impressed (had three cups of coffee instead).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Dancer x

Hey there,

You could try split them into groups (mix the older students with younger ones so the younger ones aren't overwhelmed) and get them to make up 8 or 16 counts each, so have a different movement for each of the 8 counts. Then get each group to teach their 8 counts to the others and put them all together to the music. Most songs have a steady 4/4 beat so it should work!

Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Paul.M92

find out what music they are interested in and look it up. There are a lot of great videos out there that teach you routines that you could then teach them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Look up hip hop and street dance videos on youtube, music videos as well. Take move, copy and simplify. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement