Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's Loughrea like to live in?

Options
  • 06-07-2011 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

Hi there. I've got myself a new job and will be based in Loughrea, horray :) I'm based in Castlebar so plan to rent a room and base myself in Loughrea from Monday to Friday. So, what's Loughrea like? Any good gyms, exercise classes? Nice cafes or restaurants? Good pubs?:D Is daft the best place to look for house shares? I only know Loughrea to drive through in the bus years ago before it was bypassed so any input would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

Loughrea is a nice town, we moved there about 2 years ago.

There is a gym/exercise class place on the main street down towards Londis, there is also a gym out at the rugby club about a mile out of town.

There is a great new cafe called the Hungry Bookworm just beside the abbey, a few others like Hopes/the weavers rest/and one down by the west bridge that escapes my memory.

There are a few nice restraunts on the main street too, and the food in the Loughrea Hotel and spa is pretty good.
    Plenty of good pubs, check them out because what one person classes as a good pub, the other classes as a dump :)

I always fonud daft a bit behind when it came to checking on property, maybe try the Galway advertiser

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Loughrea is a nice little town, I moved here a year ago after living in doughiska/Oranmore for three years. We're also from Mayo :D

You could try daft or the Galway Advertiser for rentals. What kind of job did you get? I'd like to get a job nearer Loughrea, am robbed driving into the city everyday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

paulusdu wrote: »
    There is a great new cafe called the Hungry Bookworm just beside the abbey........... and one down by the west bridge that escapes my memory.

That Hungry Bookworm is a gem of a spot alright! Great food and very cool interior! That one down by the West Bridge is Taste Matters - Lovely too and reasonably priced. Maggie Mays is a pub with excellent food - they've have recently opened a restaurant upstairs too. There is an Italian place too called Il Porcetto (I think thats the name!) and the food is to die for in there! Always seems to be packed out any time we've gone...

Charlies Bar has reopened and seems to be a nice enough spot for a drink although we've only been in there a handful of times - you'll have to do a pub-crawl some night and see for yourself!!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

twirlagig wrote: »
    There is an Italian place too called Il Porcetto (I think thats the name!) and the food is to die for in there! Always seems to be packed out any time we've gone...
    Where's that Italian then?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭waitingforBB

There are 2 Italian restaurants in the town. Il Porceto (Da Gavino) is indeed top notch as the previous poster pointed out. Its up the town accross from weavers car park (beside the bus stop to Galway). We've eaten there many times and both food and service are excellent.
    The other Italian is also very good. In the middle of town (think its called Amigoes). The do great 4 course deals for about 15 quid and I often go there with the family. Very good food and kid friendly. Romantic meal would tend to Il Porcetto, value meal with the family then Amigoes.
    Both get thumbs up for food and service quality from my experience of several visits to each.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Loughrea is a nice little town, I moved here a year ago after living in doughiska/Oranmore for three years. We're also from Mayo :D

You could try daft or the Galway Advertiser for rentals. What kind of job did you get? I'd like to get a job nearer Loughrea, am robbed driving into the city everyday!

What's the commune like to Galway? Long term if the job works out we were hoping to live in the city and commute in and out to Loughrea...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

detoxkid wrote: »
    What's the commune like to Galway? Long term if the job works out we were hoping to live in the city and commute in and out to Loughrea...
    Costly!
    I've been doing it for a few years - via M6 and pre M6!

While the old N6 might cost a little less in petrol, there is nothing to compared to the hassle free drive home at 120kph on a motorway. It does hurt the pocket though. And I am lucky as I work on the east side of Galway city,

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Sofa King

Loughrea seems fine, i'm living in Gort myself. But i can imagine Loughrea would be the same as here. It's fine for the quiet life etc... But locals can be very clannish i find.

Not from Mayo myself like a few posters here,ha! - Corcaigh Abú!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

detoxkid wrote: »

It's a pain, very expensive and I have a diesel.

Advertisement