Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Place names from Ron Kavana's "Summer Soldiers"?

Options
  • 06-07-2011 8:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I'm transcribing a song called "Summer Soliders" by Ron Kavana, but have not heard of some of the places, and have no idea how to spell them- here's what it sounds like- do any of <these> ring a bell?

"From the shores of <Clan Akilte> to the slopes of <Shleev Leman>
    With a grim determination the united men came on
    From the little towns near Dublin and the fields of <Bal Na Mook>
    And in Antrim, Down, and Wexford and their deeds would fill a book"

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Got a link to the YouTube or song online (legally)?

Shleev = sliabh (irish for mountain)
    Bal = Baile (irish for town)

Cant guess at the other words I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Clonaklity Town in West Cork
    Sliabh na mban (Slievenaman) mountain in Tipperary
    Balinamuck Co Longford

at a guess but can't find a link to the tune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 fletchd

Most excellent- thanks! Balinamuck looks like it was a battle in the uprising that the song is about, so that fits perfectly-

I couldn't find a legal, online recording either- there's just a snippet here, but it doesn't contain the verse in question:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Summer-Soldiers-Album-Version/dp/B0015M4ZM6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1310146453&sr=8-1

Advertisement