Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remmington UMC Vs American Eagle

Options
  • 06-07-2011 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭

Hey!

Just wondering what the major difference with Remmington UMC .223 50gr Hollow Point and American Eagle Rem 55gr FMJ is for shooting <200 meters?

There's a hell of a price difference and I am hesitant to purchase expensive ammo until I am actually able to hit what I am at...well, at least 80%+ of the time.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

Well there is one major difference and that is that the American Eagle is Full Metal Jacket and is not ethical for hunting as the bullet will pass straight through for example a fox and will wound him but not kill instantly. The fox will now alot of suffering and pain which no hunter wants to inflict on any animal.

The FMJ is only for target work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Irishwolf81

Arcto wrote: »
    Hey!

Just wondering what the major difference with Remmington UMC .223 50gr Hollow Point and American Eagle Rem 55gr FMJ is for shooting <200 meters?

There's a hell of a price difference and I am hesitant to purchase expensive ammo until I am actually able to hit what I am at...well, at least 80%+ of the time.

Thanks!

I get the exact same grouping with both from my remmington 700, I've seen no difference between the two but thats my gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

So FMJ for target shooting on a range and the UMC for hunting? Would the FMJ be Ok for rabbits or would it not cause enough initial impact to kill them?

Sorry for asking all these questions but it's better to get them out of the way now rather than 6 months down the line when someone says "YOU SHOOT WHAT WITH WHAT!!!!!????".

So FMJ for target shooting on a range and the UMC for hunting? Would the FMJ be Ok for rabbits or would it not cause enough initial impact to kill them?

Sorry for asking all these questions but it's better to get them out of the way now rather than 6 months down the line when someone says "YOU SHOOT WHAT WITH WHAT!!!!!????".

Yes FMJ is for range work.
    UMC is only a brand name that Remington use. You want HP (Hollow Point) or BT (Ballistic Tips) like what Hornady have for good clean kills.

I wouldn't use FMJ on any animal even a rabbit.

True you won't learn if you don't ask. This is a great forum to ask any question and you will get the right answer along with some banter ;)

Thanks.

Was wondering why there was an €8 difference in the two types. I'm using UMC HP at the moment. Still figuring out how to range targets. I am determined not to buy a range finder :D

Better go check out Fermoy Rifle Club. Hopefully it isn't to expensive :)

Thanks again.

• Advertisement

Still figuring out how to range targets. I am determined not to buy a range finder :D
    Thanks again.

Range finding is probably the hardest part about taking a shot. It will only improve with practice.

When I used to be out shooting I would stop pick a point ahead let it be a ditch, bush, etc and try guess the range and then step it out and see how close I was or not.
    After a while it will just be natural to you.
    I still find it hard to range over 200 yards as different landscape and that will make distances look different

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

One of the best ways is to use the reticle of your scope. If you have dots or hashmarks you can take an object of known size (give or take - at hunting ranges you'll be plenty accurate whether it's a big or a normal sized rabbit or deer of known species and sex), see the amount of the reticle it subtends, and quickly work out the rough distance that way.

Yes I must get around to reading the documentation on a mil dot site. Just been busy at work recently as we have a lot of new bodies on board than need TLC!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Shane.sf

I use both those rounds and there perfect in my gun!!

But that's not my point. My point is the AE are a max 11 euro and the umc are max 16 but I've paid 14 for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

you can get american eagle hollowpoints for hunting aswell as the target fmjs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

The American eagle hollow point shoot well in my 223 cz varmint, and they will take down the foxes as good as any will I've never tried the umc.

The new hornaday training softpoint are also very accurate as well at 39 euro for a box of 50 which is about the same price as the AE hollow points

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

clivej wrote: »
    The American eagle hollow point shoot well in my 223 cz varmint, and they will take down the foxes as good as any will I've never tried the umc.

The new hornaday training softpoint are also very accurate as well at 39 euro for a box of 50 which is about the same price as the AE hollow points

Any Data on these Hornady trainer's?
    BC, drop etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

I have a box of them at home tack, i'll take a pic of the info on the side of it and post it up later for you, havent used them yet though

ormondprop wrote: »
    I have a box of them at home tack, i'll take a pic of the info on the side of it and post it up later for you, havent used them yet though

Since I have never seen, or heard of them in any dealer near me I am curious.
    They have no data on their website either.

52299b43.jpg
    ebdcbb2b.jpg
    892a9748.jpg
    Havent used them yet and dont know exactly what i paid for them as i bought them along with a good few other things off paul o halloran lately, should be good for foxes though,

I had some 50gr federal soft points and 50gr fiocchi soft points that i tested aswell, the federals were crap and fiocchis were ok, i fired them at a steel target i made up, the soft points cut straight through ir at 150m the hp and ballistic tips i fired didnt pass through, here are some of the remains of the soft points after impact
    3f95b9f2.jpg
    ab359530.jpg

Shane.sf wrote: »
    I use both those rounds and there perfect in my gun!!

But that's not my point. My point is the AE are a max 11 euro and the umc are max 16 but I've paid 14 for them.

Where are you buying your ammo? UMC are €17.25 down my way. Might be worth while buying in bulk and save a few yoyo's.

Thanks Ormandprop

I see they are a little slower than the Vmax in the same grain.
    Like to see there BC as it's generally a good indication of how they go down range.
    Wonder why they are called trainers, and why they are not listed on their website:confused:

I used Lapua trainers before that were dreadful

It would be nice to have a hard hitting cheap .223 for hard times though when funds are low, spend over €150 on ammo this week :eek:

how many rounds did you get for that tack?what type of ammo was it?i tend to be a bit like a squirrel i pick up extra when i ever i have the cash and build up a little reserve as a safety net for lean times!but i dont shoot the 223 every week,you use it all time even for rabbits

bazza888 wrote: »
    how many rounds did you get for that tack?what type of ammo was it?i tend to be a bit like a squirrel i pick up extra when i ever i have the cash and build up a little reserve as a safety net for lean times!but i dont shoot the 223 every week,you use it all time even for rabbits

.223 .308 12g Ammo as I was low on all three in specific rounds.
    I have lots of 1/4 & 1/2 boxes of ammo, but I like to have a few boxes of same for whatever.

I've been doing quite a bit of deer stalking in the past few weeks on a couple of sections I have.
    I'm waiting for a hornady Shipment on August 3rd to stock up for teh winter :D

yeah i let my hornady stock go down,but wont be able to buy bulk for awhile:( so ill have to get 1or 2 boxes every know and then,but since im only shooting foxes 3 boxes might last a good while as i may only fire 1or 2 rounds each time i go out or like last night none!

• Advertisement

From what i gather i think its called training as it comes in bulk boxes of 50, and the hornady 55gr sp have a bc of 0.235 so fits in the middle of the 40 gr vmax at .200 and 55gr vmax at 0.255 but what seems to be one of the best varmint rounds is the 53gr vmax at .290, i cant wait to finally get my hands on some 53gr super performance

ormondprop wrote: »
    From what i gather i think its called training as it comes in bulk boxes of 50, and the hornady 55gr sp have a bc of 0.235 so fits in the middle of the 40 gr vmax at .200 and 55gr vmax at 0.255 but what seems to be one of the best varmint rounds is the 53gr vmax at .290, i cant wait to finally get my hands on some 53gr super performance

Me Either! Ordered ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Hondata92

Me Either! Ordered ;)

So finally the .223 after a few decades might have a round that is close to the modern .204 :p

Advertisement