Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graduate Entry Requirements

Options
  • 06-07-2011 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭

Does it have to be a four year undergraduate degree?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 kapow

Does it have to be a four year undergraduate degree?

No.

It has to be at least a 2.1 overall grade in a level 8 degree, the vast majority of which are 4 year degrees. There are exceptions, e.g. some level 8 Arts degrees and Law degrees are only 3 years long. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭KizzyMonster

What about those on-line courses where you can get a B.A quicker than that.
    Could I do one of those?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 kapow

What about those on-line courses where you can get a B.A quicker than that.
    Could I do one of those?

All courses for applying to GradMed have to be NFQ level 8 registered. I wouldn't be surprised if many of these 'online colleges' did not meet the standards for a full NFQ level 8 bachelors degree. In addition, the majority of online courses are based in the US, which may not have meet Irish academic criteria, but may still be called a Bachelors Degree.

You mentioned that you did a 4 year natural science course in Trinity which, you say, is a perfect companion to ace GAMSAT Section III. Having not sat the GAMSAT yourself, how can you make such a statement?
    The best course to do if you are definitely planning on sitting the GAMSAT is Natural Science as in this way you will learn bio, chem and phys all to a university standard and you'll ace the science part III

kapow wrote: »
    You mentioned that you did a 4 year natural science course in Trinity which, you say, is a perfect companion to ace GAMSAT Section III. Having not sat the GAMSAT yourself, how can you make such a statement?

I have sat the GAMSAT :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

It has to be a 2.1 in the FIRST Level 8 degree you do. You can't do a second degree and use that (in case that is what you are thinking).

MicraBoy wrote: »
    It has to be a 2.1 in the FIRST Level 8 degree you do. You can't do a second degree and use that (in case that is what you are thinking).

:O For Real???

But how will they know????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

how can they distinguish if its their first or second undergraduate degree?, say if someone has a degree in engineering from UK or elsewhere in europe and they were never registered with the CAO, and got like a "pass" degree or a 2.2, but then they went on and did another degree in ireland and got a 1st, mind = obliterated, i'm pretty sure they'll still let em in

The CAO know all......

The CAO know all......
    see above.

• Advertisement

how can they distinguish if its their first or second undergraduate degree?, say if someone has a degree in engineering from UK or elsewhere in europe and they were never registered with the CAO, and got like a "pass" degree or a 2.2, but then they went on and did another degree in ireland and got a 1st, mind = obliterated, i'm pretty sure they'll still let em in

Yeah I have no idea how they actually enforce that rule. Would you run the risk though of doing a 4 year degree only to have your GEM application rejected? Expensive and risky, but may be that's what they are relying on.

Yeah I have no idea how they actually enforce that rule. Would you run the risk though of doing a 4 year degree only to have your GEM application rejected? Expensive and risky, but may be that's what they are relying on.
    to be honest i've never actually read it as the "first" degree i've always seen it as "an undergraduate degree", i always think people say "first degree" since the "second degree" is usually a masters or PHD, and that obviously doesnt count.

Those persons interested in applying to a Graduate Entry Programme in Medicine for entry in September
    2011 should note the following:
    (a) Entry Requirements:
    • Candidates must hold, or expect to hold by 1 July 2011, a minimum 2H1 (second class honours, grade one,
    or equivalent) result in their first honours bachelor degree (NFQ Level 8) awarded. Please contact the
    Admissions Office of the institution concerned if you have any questions about eligibility.

• For candidates who meet the above requirement, the GAMSAT (Graduate Medical Schools Admissions
    Test) will then be used as the sole instrument to select students for the programme.

The above is formatted as presented in the CAO GEM requirements document, so they are very much emphasizing this point.

Of course they'll know. You got in to study Natural Science in TCD through the CAO based on your leaving cert, you'll be on record as having registered for that course after accepting your CAO offer, which was made based on your points, linked to your leaving cert number. TCD have records of every exam you ever sat for them, and will be the bearer of your academic transcript and confer you with your 2.2 degree which all traces back to that CAO number....you apply for GEM through the CAO, it would be impossible to hide if you were to do another degree I would say. If there happened to be some loophole, gaining another Bachelor degree hoping to get 2.1 or better would seem like a very labour intensive not to mention expensive way of persuing medicine. You have a number or options a)apply to UK b)apply for medicine as a mature student c) sit your leaving Cert again (making sure you have the required subjects) and sit the HPAT and hope you get the points. You've probably looked into these already. Option c) is probably your safest bet - get the points, do well in your HPAT and there's nothing to stand in your way. Lots of people do it. options a) and b) involve interviews and evaluation of your suitablility for the course by the powers that be, which you'll have to be prepared to do, but there's no guarantee of getting accepted. Best of luck.

Advertisement