Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transit question

• 06-07-2011 9:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭

A couple of questions,

Main question:
    What do the numbers with a transit mean? The T280/300/350 etc
    and the other number 75/85/115?

It's 2006, LWB, semi high roof, FWD, 85 T300 2L diesel that I'm looking at.

How does this suit for conversion. It would be for conversion as a surf/mountain biking/kayaking vehicle. Reasonably basic but a long term project.

Power, fuel efficiency?

What should I look out for on it, rust where, what parts tend to fail etc

Wasn't sure whether to post here or in motors section of Motoring so sorry if I'm in the wrong spot 'cos of the main question I'm asking.

At first look it seems in good nick, clean no dents (not even on the bulkhead), so I'm tempted. I haven't got a mechanic to look at it yet but I will.

thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

AFAIK the numbers are the wheelbase , and the horsepower . 3.50 metre w'base , 115 bhp.

wouldn't be over lively in a semi high roof with 85bhp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

They're not great on diesel tbh, especially if you've got a bit of weight on board.

Ask yourself if its high enough for a start.

Rust tends to be problematic at the bottom sills of the drivers and passenger doors. At the hinges of the doors and in front of the rear arches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

They're not great on diesel tbh, especially if you've got a bit of weight on board.

Nearing end of trip in France. Current fuel consumption is 11.9 lpm or 24 mpg in a transit T350 140

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

multisport wrote: »
    A couple of questions,

Main question:
    What do the numbers with a transit mean? The T280/300/350 etc
    and the other number 75/85/115?

It's 2006, LWB, semi high roof, FWD, 85 T300 2L diesel that I'm looking at.

How does this suit for conversion. It would be for conversion as a surf/mountain biking/kayaking vehicle. Reasonably basic but a long term project.

Power, fuel efficiency?

What should I look out for on it, rust where, what parts tend to fail etc

Wasn't sure whether to post here or in motors section of Motoring so sorry if I'm in the wrong spot 'cos of the main question I'm asking.

At first look it seems in good nick, clean no dents (not even on the bulkhead), so I'm tempted. I haven't got a mechanic to look at it yet but I will.

thanks,

Its the gross vehicle weight, t350 = 3.5 ton, t280 =2.8 ton

I wouldn't touch anything with delphi common rail in it unless it had low miles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭T650

paddyp wrote: »

I wouldn't touch anything with delphi common rail in it unless it had low miles.

Paddy,

what is "delphi common rail"

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Just a variant of Common Rail technology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

paddyp wrote: »

Paddy , I think you were just really unlucky with your Common Rail , and whoever you tried for parts/service . There's a helluva lot of Delphi powered yokes out there , merrily humming away .

Re the fuel Consumption , the older ones (2.5 engine) while a great aul slogger , were sore enough on diesel . The newer ones are a lot better , so much so that the Fiat Ducato/Pug Boxer actually use the Ford engine in the 2.2 engined vans , and it's a dinger . Plenty pokey and very easy on fuel .

I'm pretty down on common rail alright, they are great when they are going well which you can really appreciate it at the diesel pump but I still think its risky buying one with any kind of high miles. The delphi pump and injectors seem to go regularly between 80k and 120k as does the DMF.

I guess I'm used to expecting things to go for at least 250k miles without major trouble. If it wasn't for the rust I'd probably be driving a datsun :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭multisport

Thanks for the help lads, we bought this van.
    We know it's not perfect but it ticks a lot of boxes for us.
    We're unlikely to get time to do any work this season but there's a long winter ahead to fix it up.

The first test for it will be before we do any conversion, there's a roadtrip to Madrid coming up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭multisport

Thanks for the help lads, we bought this van.
    We know it's not perfect but it ticks a lot of boxes for us.
    We're unlikely to get time to do any work this season but there's a long winter ahead to fix it up.

The first test for it will be before we do any conversion, there's a roadtrip to Madrid coming up.

• Advertisement

multisport wrote: »

Nice :) you might even be able to pick up conversion parts on your way there are huge places in the uk if you're going that way.

From memory the semi high roof transit is 176cm in the center from bare floor to bare ceiling so when you're planning your floor and ceiling lining I'd advise you keep the thickness to a minimum so as to avoid quadsimodo style stooping. Unless your kylie-esque of course :p

Throw us up a photo or two of it there.

Advertisement