Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What country could Ireland beat in a all-out War

• 06-07-2011 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

What country could ireland beat in a war?

The faroe island's maybe :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Sealand ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

RobitTV wrote: »
    What country could ireland beat in a war?

The faroe island's maybe :D

Bhutan, for sure. They're all pacifists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 barr32

northern ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

The Vatican. Our priests > their priests in the willysize department.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Isle of Man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

If it was a war that involved drinking, we'd probably beat the best of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Malta - 122 square miles - This island is just south of the Italian island of Sicily. It became independent from the United Kingdom in 1964 and the British military were completely gone by 1979. The population is 400,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭stevejr

What's the reason for being reasonable?

Is that an unreasonable question?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

barr32 wrote: »
    northern ireland

That'd be fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    I don't see that happening. Both have too much to lose in that relationship.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Luxemburg?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

The United States of America.

What about the Cheese-eating Surrender Monkeys?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

Legoland!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Ireland's weapons of mass destruction -

We have 8 navy boats
    7 Spitfire's
    around 8,000 troops to 9,000

Our soldiers are of high quality Example:
    http://www.independent.ie/multimedia/archive/00160/bigwill_160602b.jpg

:D:pac:

Superbus wrote: »
    The United States of America.

In Stick-war, probably....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The People's Republic of Cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Republic of Nauru,formerly known as Pleasant Island, is an island nation in Micronesia in the South Pacific. Nauru is the world's smallest island nation, covering just 21 square kilometres (8.1 sq mi). With just over 9,265 residents.

Easy peasy :p

Oh.. How would we all get there in our eight Navy boats?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

A draw I'd say;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Free cork.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭cesc77

WallyGUFC wrote: »

Its a state,not a country,hence the Vatican State.

Im afraid to ask how you have intimate knowledge of priests member size.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Iceland has no army

Although its poorer than us now so whats the point...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Needler

France

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

Iceland, I don't know why we haven't done it yet. Would anyone really notice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

They're all pacifists.
    thats a long way to go for a war...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Malta - 122 square miles - This island is just south of the Italian island of Sicily. It became independent from the United Kingdom in 1964 and the British military were completely gone by 1979. The population is 400,000.

The Maltese are a resilient race though. The island as a whole were awarded the George cross for repelling the Axis powers during WW2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HerrScheisse

Maybe Monaco if the French would turn a blind eye. Though with all their luxury yachts with fat guys and high tech navigation they would have a much larger Navy than Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Micronesia, Vanuatu, Christmas Island and Easter Island but not both at the same time obviously.

I forgot about Freedonia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HerrScheisse

RobitTV wrote: »
    Ireland's weapons of mass destruction -

We have 8 navy boats
    7 Spitfire's
    around 8,000 troops to 9,000

Our soldiers are of high quality Example:
    http://www.independent.ie/multimedia/archive/00160/bigwill_160602b.jpg

:D:pac:

Those spitfires would be worth more to the country at auction than they would in the air.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Those spitfires would be worth more to the country at auction than they would in the air.

I Have to agree

They are useless aircraft, they can only be used for training purposes.

I Dont know why they bother keep them they cant be used as a fighter, and the air corps has no other aircraft to use, so training is just useless.

Sell them now, and they might be able to increase the defence budget and buy other useful weapons, or hire more soldiers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

We could beat the Maldives i reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

:pac: (oh wait I thought you said Malvinas)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

imaginationland

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

mike65 wrote: »
    I forgot about Freedonia.
    IIRC Freedonia didn't loose that war.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

Paupa New Guinea... for the only reason that i've never, until now, found a question where I could use Paupa New Guinea as an answer:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

We could beat the USSR for sure. Where are those guys these days? Used to think they were so great with their sputniks and stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Tallaght Saint

Blisstonia.

Nanananananana leader, leader. I mean, Batman!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

They managed to get rid of the brits altogether so I wouldn't take them on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

They managed to get rid of the brits altogether so I wouldn't take them on.
    peacfully, it wasnt a rebellion

Piazza dei Cavalieri di Malta, 4
    Via dei Condotti, 68
    Rome,
    Lazio,
    Italy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

The U.S

I reckon we'd take them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 anawfulbogey

Well we bate the Brits out of the place and they had to admit stalemate at best in the last 'campaign' here so we could aim a small bit higher than the likes of Luxembourg me thinks. I'd say we could take Scotland or Wales handy if their masters kept out of it. Definitelty Wales anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

The Duchy Of Grand Fenwick

Berwick-upon-Tweed is probably one we should avoid though.
    Undefeated in a 113 year war with Russia from 1853 to 1966
    The declaration of the Crimean War against Russia in 1853, which Queen Victoria signed as "Victoria, Queen of Great Britain, Ireland, Berwick-upon-Tweed and all British Dominions". However, when the Treaty of Paris (1856) was signed to conclude the war, "Berwick-upon-Tweed" was left out.

According to George Hawthorne in The Guardian of December 28, 1966, the London correspondent of Pravda visited the Mayor of Berwick, Councillor Robert Knox, and the two made a mutual declaration of peace. Knox said "Please tell the Russian people through your newspaper that they can sleep peacefully in their beds."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

Mousey- wrote: »
    peacfully, it wasnt a rebellion
    So they're even better than I thought!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Iceland. No army. The FCA could beat them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

any african country for sure. they wouldnt be able to do much with bows and arrows if even that. the last i heard they still use javellins in war

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 anawfulbogey

paky wrote: »
    any african country for sure. they wouldnt be able to do much with bows and arrows if even that. the last i heard they still use javellins in war
    Sure you could probably have most of them kill one another for sport in no time with a few well placed euros. No war required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Now that the USA has stopped building space shuttles and given up on space altogether, we should take our chance and claim Planet Mars as "New Ireland".

I suggest we send Ming Flanagan to discuss surrender with the Martians... that way he would not be all over the radio here for a few weeks at least.

The Duchy Of Grand Fenwick
    Prime Minster Count Rupert Mountjoy: We must declare war on the United States.
    Benter: But we can never win such a war!
    Prime Minster Count Rupert Mountjoy: Of course not, but we could win the peace. I've given this a lot of thought gentlemen and I'm perfectly positive that I am right. You must remember, the Americans are a very strange people. Whereas other countries rarely forgive anything, the Americans forgive anything. There isn't a more profitable undertaking for any country than to declare war on the United States and to be defeated.

Then again their plan to receive massive reconstruction aid from the US did backfire.

• Advertisement
Advertisement