Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What country could Ireland beat in a all-out War

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Iceland. No army. The FCA could beat them.
    The problem is to get there.

They won the Cod War against the worlds second largest navy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

paky wrote: »
    any african country for sure. they wouldnt be able to do much with bows and arrows if even that. the last i heard they still use javellins in war
    Niemba Ambush

Nine peacekeepers died. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭sparks24

france!! weak chin always folds early

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

The problem is to get there.

They won the Cod War against the worlds second largest navy.

Only because Iceland threatened to close the NATO base based on the island.

"Iceland threatened closure of the NATO base at Keflavík, which would, in the military perception of the time, have severely impaired NATO's ability to defend the Atlantic Ocean from the Soviet Union"

Britain would of kicked their ass's but they weren't really allowed because of talk's going on between both of the goverment's, and the threats about the NATO base, these days it wouldn't matter.

if another conflict came along, it would be more easy to actually "win"

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Owldshtok

RobitTV wrote: »
    Only because Iceland threatened to close the NATO base based on the island.

"Iceland threatened closure of the NATO base at Keflavík, which would, in the military perception of the time, have severely impaired NATO's ability to defend the Atlantic Ocean from the Soviet Union"

Britain would of kicked their ass's but they weren't really allowed because of talk's going on between both of the goverment's, and the threats about the NATO base, these days it wouldn't matter.

if another conflict came along, it would be more easy to actually "win"

There must be something that this country could do/have done to use it's strategic position to such good effect as Iceland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

The Holy Empire of Deananity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

foxinsox wrote: »
    Republic of Nauru,formerly known as Pleasant Island, is an island nation in Micronesia in the South Pacific. Nauru is the world's smallest island nation, covering just 21 square kilometres (8.1 sq mi). With just over 9,265 residents.

Easy peasy :p

Oh.. How would we all get there in our eight Navy boats?

Ryanair!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

The French obviously. They're great at surrendering.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Owldshtok wrote: »
    There must be something that this country could do/have done to use it's strategic position to such good effect as Iceland

Well i think Britain had bigger things to worry about then, i dont think they were going to do anything big to stop them.

The NATO base was very important then, without it alot of the North Sea and above that would of been unprotected, Britain weren't going to risk the closure of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Inishvickillane. Build a pigsty there and send the Healey-Rae family into exile. A kind of Elba with a bad stink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

azerbaijan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Saila wrote: »
    azerbaijan

You been at the cooking sherry again Saila? :) They've got over 100k in the forces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Sweden as they dont even have an army

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

lads lads, hold on a minute

have the army put the firing pins back in the guns yet....

you need a job done
    called the ira

at lease they dont take the firing pins out of there guns:L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Japan !

get em while they are weak for the irish empire ! huzzah ... hmm to soon maybe il get my coat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

jjbrien wrote: »

Eh?

I hope to feck they do, the Defence Forces train with them at times!

And the Swedes make some great weapons.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭srfc19

We could beat Switzerland. Sure their army only has them tiny little knives!!:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Democratic Republic of Rockall???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

santa clause land

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

The Holy Empire of Deanianity for sure...

... they're all weak feckers anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭IRISH VEGAS

how about ireland its self;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

The country that that Dean dude from After Hours is setting up on Rockall.

Well... I think his name is Dean.

*ah already mentioned by Killer Pigeon*.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Sefirah

any african country for sure. they wouldnt be able to do much with bows and arrows if even that. the last i heard they still use javellins in war
    Don't underestimate the machete :O
    Superbus wrote: »
    The United States of America.
    I second that- America can't win wars. Blast the sh!t out of them, sure, but winning is a different story altogether

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    Democratic Republic of Rockall???

Beat me to it.

Eh?

I hope to feck they do, the Defence Forces train with them at times!

And the Swedes make some great weapons.
    It's very intresting to compare the Saab Draken with the English Electric Lightening. Especially when you consider they both used the same engine type, except the Swedes only needed one Avon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Paupa New Guinea... for the only reason that i've never, until now, found a question where I could use Paupa New Guinea as an answer:D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Ireland_%28island%29

these little bastards declared war on us for name rights a few years ago:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Ernst Thälmann Island

It was reportedly "gifted" by Cuba to the German Democratic Republic in the 1970's but is not mentioned as a German territory in the 1990 reunification treaty leading some creative interpretations as to its current legal status.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

FUNDERLAND

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

With a properly resourced Army and enough soldiers, then id imagine alot of smaller countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

Maybe Monaco if the French would turn a blind eye. Though with all their luxury yachts with fat guys and high tech navigation they would have a much larger Navy than Ireland.

It would be 100% worth it for that glorious race track *drools*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

I met a Swede once that said, although they don't have an "army" almost every male over 21 in the country spent X amounts of weeks training in the army. If ye know what I mean. Everyone in the fupping place is a soldier :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Superbus wrote: »
    The United States of America.

Well, traditionally the Armed Forces of the United States have failed to get the job done against enemies whom they outnumber and outgun.

So yeah, i reckon i'm with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

foxinsox wrote: »
    Republic of Nauru,formerly known as Pleasant Island, is an island nation in Micronesia in the South Pacific. Nauru is the world's smallest island nation, covering just 21 square kilometres (8.1 sq mi). With just over 9,265 residents.

Easy peasy :p

Oh.. How would we all get there in our eight Navy boats?

9,266?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭IRISH VEGAS

Kess73 wrote: »
    last time the irish army got in the **** in africa was the congo they were some shot dead and few were BBq after the fire fight:eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

Kess73 wrote: »

ah the good old days of colonization. i often wondered had ireland ever got independence would it of colonised any part of africa

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭dpe

Costa Rica. No army, no navy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

dpe wrote: »
    Costa Rica. No army, no navy.

Are you kidding me ? The beautiful scenery, beautiful weather and beautiful women would entice our army into laying down arms and settling down instead:D

Are you kidding me ? The beautiful scenery, beautiful weather and beautiful women would entice our army into laying down arms and settling down instead:D

All the more reason to invade then. I'm sure the local lovelies are just dying to be liberated by a bunch of ginger blokes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

last time the irish army got in the **** in africa was the congo they were some shot dead and few were BBq after the fire fight:eek:

That skirmish gave us the word 'baloobas'. Baloobas were the tribe that attacked the UN soldiers.

Nowadays it is used to refer to a high state of inebriation. I was baloobas last night!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The Swedish military could take on pretty much any country in Europe and win. Like Switzerland, they take the concept of neutrality seriously. With no allies obligated to help them, they understand that they are on their own for their own security.
    Then again their plan to receive massive reconstruction aid from the US did backfire.

Only because they won.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

RobitTV wrote: »
    Ireland's weapons of mass destruction -

We have 8 navy boats
    7 Spitfire's
    around 8,000 troops to 9,000

Our soldiers are of high quality Example:
    http://www.independent.ie/multimedia/archive/00160/bigwill_160602b.jpg

:D:pac:

Wanna give us a proper defence budget for buying kit?

The Swedish military could take on pretty much any country in Europe and win. Like Switzerland, they take the concept of neutrality seriously. With no allies obligated to help them, they understand that they are on their own for their own security.

Except the UK. Or France. Who have nukes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Whatever about a war we'd be like Afghanistan for any miltary invader imo i.e. impossible to hold in the long term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭sagat2

80,000,000 people of Irish descent in the world probably more if we factor in the illegitimate children inhabiting every town with an Irish pub. If we could somehow draft the useful ones we would be a force to be reckoned with (in terms of numbers, it's not like we've any cash to buy them guns and ammo).

• Advertisement

<Delete>

Whatever about a war we'd be like Afghanistan for any miltary invader imo i.e. impossible to hold in the long term.

So as evidenced by past experience, 'long term' means something greater than, oh, 700 years, then?

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

So as evidenced by past experience, 'long term' means something greater than, oh, 700 years, then?

NTM

It's bit more complicated than just '700' years. Like most places in Europe we were invaded by the Vikings, Normans (as was England IIRC) and then the English.

England really didn't tighten it's grip on the 'Country' (if we thought of ourselves as a country at all) until the plantation of Uslter.

There were significant rebellions and counter insurgencies against England ever since they tightened their grip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Malta - 122 square miles - This island is just south of the Italian island of Sicily. It became independent from the United Kingdom in 1964 and the British military were completely gone by 1979. The population is 400,000.

Having been to Malta and it's red British post boxes and its "royal" this and "royal" that in the past couple of weeks, I'd rather Nigeria - at least the Nigerians changed the side of road that they drive upon after the British were thrown out!

Oh wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Burky126

• Advertisement
Advertisement