Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to ship books to USA from Ireland? :D advise appreciated :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Are you considering bringing anything else with you? If so, it might be worth looking into actually shipping them- ie hire part of a container from a freight shipper and send them via boat. We did this when we moved, but we also had clothes for 2 adults and 4 kids, toys, and some household items.

Do you need all 100 books right away, and are they heavy? If not, consider bringing some of them in your lugage, then asking friends and family to bring more, or get more when coming to Ireland for Christmas etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 noelh

Hi Silja,
    Thanks for this. No travelling fairly light, Books are only items that won't fit in luggage. I'm teaching in a university over there so would like to get them over soon(ish). I'll probably post NB one's with An Post and stagger the rest with family and friends visits. As of yet An Post seem to be cheapest option. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Your talking 3 months at least with An Post.

If shipping books i'd pack them seriously well and they packages get really battered or even lost once they get to the USPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mack1

You can do airport to airport shipping - it's a lot cheaper than DHL etc.

I did it about 3 yrs ago, packed up a 3 or 4 large boxes and brought them to Dublin airport myself and there is a freight company there that I used to ship them to the airport of the city I was going to. Wasnt very expensive and took about 2 weeks.

cannot remember the name of the company right now but try search for port-to-port freight or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

Just a thought in my head,
    Can you survive with electronic versions of the books while waiting for the rest of them to arrive?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 noelh

Thanks for your help guys. Checked with An Post and they take 12 weeks which is too long. However,I think I've a new plan of action. I have to come back to Ireland in Aug to get my working visa so I will bring a suit case full of books etc with me first time round, and the rest in Aug/ and Oct when have friends coming to visit. That way I can get most NB stuff over straight away..... thanks everyone :D

Advertisement