Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best time to visit Social Welfare Office?

Options
  • 06-07-2011 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the lines at the social welfare office on St. Augustine St?

My partner and I have recently moved to Ireland and need to apply for PPS numbers. We visited the office yesterday at 10:30am but the line extended 20 metres out the door.

Also wondering if they accept a landlord letter as proof of address or if we need an actual utility bill. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭ourtrail

I was there at ten last friday and was out with everything sorted within the hour which is pretty quick for in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Get there early most people start queuing from 8am, as queues are getting longer everyday sadly.

They may except the letter and ask you to provide utility bills later, e.g. Electricity bill, gas bill etc.

Best advice I can give is: keep copies of all your information to hand, and the name of the person looking after your claim...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

The lines stretching down the road are for people signing on. If you want a PPS no, I think I saw a sign in there saying something about times to do it. If you aren't signing on, just go past the queue and get a ticket for new claims (I think) and look for notices, or ask at reception.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

3:50pm.

They close at 4pm, but promise that they will deal with anyone who's in the office at that time.

Go in to the ticket machine, it will tell you which queue to take a ticket for ... don't think it's new claims, not sure what it is.

I seem to remember that a letter from the backpacker hostel worked, so your landlord letter may work too.

Good luck - and welcome to Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Yup, I agree with Just Mary..head in just before they close, and they'll have to see you before they finish up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

As has been said the que stretching out the door and down the street is for people signing on,so you can go in the door past the que to the ticket machine straight ahead on the left as you walk towards reception.Its a pity they dont have a seperate entrance because that que puts alot of people off going in there as they dont know its for something seperate.Of course its an even bigger pity the amount of people who need to use the social welfare office these days:(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

To the poster, "Signing on" means people having to go to the office to sign their file in order that they continue to receive payment. It doesn't mean applying for a PPS number. It's basically something that one must do that states that they still can't find work, and are still looking for work.

You don't need to queue for this. Go further into the office and take a ticket for Informtion. Wait your turn and talk to the person in the office.

To answer your question, Friday afternoon is the best time with the shortest waiting time. This is because people are in "weekend mode" and don't want to thinking of things that cause hassle i.e. beaurocracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭karen89

Hi,I dont think you even need to go in there for a pps number as far as i know you can do that by phone initally and then on the website if you are from anothe eu country not totally sure on this but check it on the departments website!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

karen89 wrote: »
    Hi,I dont think you even need to go in there for a pps number as far as i know you can do that by phone initally and then on the website if you are from anothe eu country not totally sure on this but check it on the departments website!

Unless the system has changed dramatically since 2007 (which I doubt), then I think you're mistaking this for another country with efficient administrative systems.

Happy to apologise if I'm wrong, but doubt I'll need to :D

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭karen89

LOL you are right!!!!! i just checked it on the citizens information site and there are a few things you need with you to apply so it might be worth checking that out before going down! sorry for the bum info earlier - yes i thought i was in a lovely little country all by myself:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭red_fox

Aiel wrote: »
    Its a pity they dont have a seperate entrance because that que puts alot of people off going in

True, I hate sharing an entrance with the 'unemployed'. Ugh.

On a serious note, I completely agree, back when I first applied for unemployment assistance I got there early and joined the queue, and only realised what it was for after I saw several people just show up and walk right in, so I then got a much later ticket than if I had known!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 EternalCowboy

Thanks for everyone's advice. We visited at about 3:45pm and there weren't many people in there at all.

We went to the information counter where they first checked that we had all the correct documents. They told us to take a ticket and gave us a form to fill out while we were waiting.

Also, they did accept the landlord letter as proof of address.

Thanks again :)

Advertisement