Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HELP..Injection to abort calf

• 06-07-2011 10:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭

Lad saw one of my calves today up close they have been on the hill for a month and havent been that close to them, she seems heavy down low and the fear of god is in me that she got served by a neighbours bull sturk or something, August calf and if it was served when they were an outfarm she could be 3 maybe 4 months gone, what are my options in your opinion ??
    Any help appreciated lads

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

First things first:
    Scan her or get her handled tomorrow to confirm her status.
    You may get lucky!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭Ford4000

Going to get er dipped tomoro ....
    Never happened me before talk about the nightmare scenario

What stage in pregnancy can they get an injection to abort?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Up to, not including, 5 months.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

greysides wrote: »
    Up to, not including, 5 months.

Are you sure? The last time that i got an abort injection from the vet, he said that it works best at under 6 weeks and is often unsuccessful at over 8 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

whelan1 wrote: »
    isnt greysides a vet ?

I don't know. He's not my vet anyway ;).

I'm just passing on what my vet told me. I'm sure we'll have another "medicinal professional" come along soon and tell us that we are all wrong anyway!! :eek:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

From the datasheet on the UK medicines site (I presume it works the same in Ireland ;) )-

Termination of normal pregnancy

Normal pregnancy can be terminated in cattle from one week after conception until the 150th day of gestation. Best results are obtained during the first 100 days. Treated animals should be kept under observation until expulsion of the foetus and placenta is complete.

Occcassionally it works later in pregnancy when it's not supposed to i.e. before the time when it can be used to induce. In this case the birth is more like a ewe that's ringed............ slow and messy. Mostly, it just doesn't work.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

isnt greysides a vet ?

Not here.

Adam Grant

Got er dipped today , not in calf, thank christ, my bad she must be bad with worms i dosed all cattle today with clasamectin pour on !!

Good stuff.
    No need to panic about most things in life 'till ya have to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Ford4000 wrote: »
    Got er dipped today , not in calf, thank christ, my bad she must be bad with worms i dosed all cattle today with clasamectin pour on !!

Closamectin? Do you treat all the cattle with it? I've never used it on cattle below 2 years (Noromectin instead) as it's a waste of money due to younger cattle not having much, if any, fluke build up.:confused:

(depending on the land of course)

Karen112 wrote: »
    ......I've never used it on cattle below 2 years..... younger cattle not having much, if any, fluke build up.:confused:

Why ?

Adam Grant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

Closamectin? Do you treat all the cattle with it? I've never used it on cattle below 2 years (Noromectin instead) as it's a waste of money due to younger cattle not having much, if any, fluke build up.:confused:

Karen112,

Go on, tell us why young stock don't get fluke?

LostCovey

LostCovey wrote: »
    Karen112,

Go on, tell us why young stock don't get fluke?

LostCovey

They do get fluke, but not fluke build up that is seen in older cattle.
    If weanlings are correctly housed, fed and are on good ground with no past history of fluke, I see no need to fluke them. You will see an animal with a 'fluke chin' as they say around here, and by that stage it is bad. But when you worm and growvite animals every 8 weeks, on dry land, there is only a slight chance of fluke. Bad land & bad management causes it. Prevention is the only way to keep it off land for life. Maybe you have let it build up on your land, but I have not, I have never, ever, heard anything back from a customer to my animals about them having fluke.
    Good treatment makes an animal, bad treatment ruins them.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

I kill alot of young heifers and i can tell u we skip alot of there livers with fluke.Most are bought in . fluke is a big problem in young stock it always was.

They do get fluke, but not fluke build up that is seen in older cattle.

If weanlings are correctly housed, fed and are on good ground with no past history of fluke, I see no need to fluke them.

If older cattle are treated the same as weanlings, why would they suffer fluke build up?

Prevention is the only way to keep it off land for life. Maybe you have let it build up on your land, but I have not, I have never, ever, heard anything back from a customer to my animals about them having fluke.

Prevention has nothing to do with it. I thought something similar for years...............i.e. if you had fluke habits but no fluke in your cattle due to worming and you treated any bought in animals that you should escape fluke as the snails would never get infected themselves.........

Doesn't work like that. Rabbits and hares are affected by fluke and it cycles between them and the snails. So if you have the appropriate habitat then you will have fluke present to some degree.

On the other hand, if your land doesn't suit the intermediate snail host you won't have fluke .................... in either weanlings or adults.

Adam Grant

If older cattle are treated the same as weanlings, why would they suffer fluke build up?

Prevention has nothing to do with it. I thought something similar for years...............i.e. if you had fluke habits but no fluke in your cattle due to worming and you treated any bought in animals that you should escape fluke as the snails would never get infected themselves.........

Doesn't work like that. Rabbits and hares are affected by fluke and it cycles between them and the snails. So if you have the appropriate habitat then you will have fluke present to some degree.

On the other hand, if your land doesn't suit the intermediate snail host you won't have fluke .................... in either weanlings or adults.

I don't want this thread to turn into everyone VS Karen. I simply have not seen bad fluke in cattle that were dosed well as youngsters and have been kept on non fluke land. It's not the easiest to achieve on Leitrim land, but I've done it, is it that difficult to do with better land???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

some people dont do for fluke at all!!!! different folks different strokes, doctors differ and patients die:cool:

I don't want this thread to turn into everyone VS Karen.

Sorry if it seems like that. I wanted to understand why you said what you said or if you had a breech in your parasite control to point it out to you.
    I simply have not seen bad fluke in cattle that were dosed well as youngsters and have been kept on non fluke land. It's not the easiest to achieve on Leitrim land, but I've done it, is it that difficult to do with better land???

There has been attempts to produce a vaccine for fluke in the past which have failed. Conclusion, there is no development of protective immunity in cattle (or, at least no development of an immunity that can be tapped to make a vaccine). This differs to stomach worms where adults have a strong protective immunity and Hoose where there is a vaccine, Dictol.

I think the explanation in your case may be keeping them on non-fluke land.
    Unless of course, you haven't mentioned you've the biggest free-range goose production unit in Ireland.:D

Adam Grant

Sorry if it seems like that. I wanted to understand why you said what you said or if you had a breech in your parasite control to point it out to you.

There has been attempts to produce a vaccine for fluke in the past which have failed. Conclusion, there is no development of protective immunity in cattle (or, at least no development of an immunity that can be tapped to make a vaccine). This differs to stomach worms where adults have a strong protective immunity and Hoose where there is a vaccine, Dictol.

I think the explanation in your case may be keeping them on non-fluke land.
    Unless of course, you haven't mentioned you've the biggest free-range goose production unit in Ireland.:D

It's probably a simple case of ignorance to a parasite I've never had to deal much with, on my part. Prevention is better than cure in EVERY case. So I've attempted to keep it out and I think I've succeeded. When you see dealers in the mart judging the cattle by the soft hair that's a sign of good thrive, you know you're doing something right. What you speak of, with the immunity, it bears one question, would it be like Redwater and only be specific to the land, or would it be a generalisation? I know the vaccine does not exist but it does pose an interesting question.:rolleyes:

P.S......Try a Ghicken, a chicken cooked inside a goose. Yum.

• Advertisement

but sure look at rumen fluke no one knew it exsisted til a few years ago:o we do all cows at drying off with a fluke and worm dose , a neighbour thinks i'm mad- i probably am- he never does his cows, although i used to do them with eprinex pour on(very dear) and flukiver but since flukiver is no longer allowed in milking animals i use endospec oral drench that does both fluke and worms , so i am saving money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

It's probably a simple case of ignorance to a parasite I've never had to deal much with, on my part. Prevention is better than cure in EVERY case. So I've attempted to keep it out and I think I've succeeded. When you see dealers in the mart judging the cattle by the soft hair that's a sign of good thrive, you know you're doing something right. What you speak of, with the immunity, it bears one question, would it be like Redwater and only be specific to the land, or would it be a generalisation? I know the vaccine does not exist but it does pose an interesting question.:rolleyes:

P.S......Try a Ghicken, a chicken cooked inside a goose. Yum.
    Go all the way and try a ten bird roast even tastier:D

but sure look at rumen fluke no one knew it exsisted til a few years ago:o we do all cows at drying off with a fluke and worm dose , a neighbour thinks i'm mad- i probably am- he never does his cows, although i used to do them with eprinex pour on(very dear) and flukiver but since flukiver is no longer allowed in milking animals i use endospec oral drench that does both fluke and worms , so i am saving money

I never use drenches since my dad nearly had his thumb bitten off. Noromectin is the usual for us (the pour on) but we change it every 2-3 years to avoid resistance. Trodax is an absolute hell to use in my opinion, it can stick to the muscle inside the skin if it's incorrectly given and leaves a very unsightly lump. As some farmer would say..."There's no fluke on my land" but you dose for it anyway. Better safe than sorry.

moy83 wrote: »
    Go all the way and try a ten bird roast even tastier:D

NOM! With the woodcock in the middle!:D

I never use drenches since my dad nearly had his thumb bitten off. Noromectin is the usual for us (the pour on) but we change it every 2-3 years to avoid resistance. Trodax is an absolute hell to use in my opinion, it can stick to the muscle inside the skin if it's incorrectly given and leaves a very unsightly lump. As some farmer would say..."There's no fluke on my land" but you dose for it anyway. Better safe than sorry.
    dont think there is any injectable flukicide that can be given to dairy cows anymore... i have de knuckled myself many times at this stage

dont think there is any injectable flukicide that can be given to dairy cows anymore... i have de knuckled myself many times at this stage

Well I'm not dairy, currently training in my blue for the fatstock in Carrick!
    But I remember being in dairy, I nearly feckin' passed out looking at the Baysodil or whatever it's called, the tick & lice pour on. 250+ days before slaughter???!! Surely that has to be fecked with dry cows going straight to slaughter from marts.:confused:

NOM! With the woodcock in the middle!:D
    Snipe in the very middle . I cant remember all the birds in a ten bird but we did five last year and there was some eating in that

moy83 wrote: »
    Snipe in the very middle . I cant remember all the birds in a ten bird but we did five last year and there was some eating in that

Ah, you have me. It is indeed snipe. Is it snipe inside woodcock, then partridge and quail???:confused:

It's probably a simple case of ignorance to a parasite I've never had to deal much with, on my part. Prevention is better than cure in EVERY case. So I've attempted to keep it out and I think I've succeeded.

Indeed. This is a route I'm thinking of going down. I'm going to erect a suitable fence and put up signs! :D

• Advertisement

Ah, you have me. It is indeed snipe. Is it snipe inside woodcock, then partridge and quail???:confused:
    we did goose ,chicken, duck, woodcock and snipe . I think the ten bird is goose turkey chicken duck pheasant partridge pigeon quail woodcock snipe

...... would it be like Redwater and only be specific to the land, or would it be a generalisation?

Both Redwater and Fluke involve another animal, a tick or a mudsnail. Without either of these the associated disease wouldn't exist.

So like all animals their existance depends on the presence of their habitat. The habitat may be widespread or very localised.

For ticks it's old pasture. For mudsnails it's mud, not water (as many may think).

Water is for water-snails, the intermediate host of ruminal fluke. :)

As fluke will utilise rabbits and hares where cattle don't exist, one side effect of one drugs companies experiements to eliminate fluke was some very healthy and fast wildlife.

Strategic dosing to break the fluke lifecycle will eventually reduce infection levels in the wild hosts and thus protect the cattle indirectly. You may have achieved this. :)

Adam Grant

Bizzum wrote: »
    Indeed. This is a route I'm thinking of going down. I'm going to erect a suitable fence and put up signs! :D

Hahahaha, my first LOL of the day goes to you!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭flatout11

can be done successfully up to 3 months in calf (estrumate, prosolvin lutase etc..) not so successful after that

Advertisement