Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boardsville Volunteer Firefighters

• 06-07-2011 10:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking about setting up a Boardsville Volunteer Firefighting Crew. Its main aim will be to provide a more rapid and effective response to fires that occasionally occur in the town and its surrounds.

The plan is build a fire station close to the centre of town that's stocked with axes, water buckets, food and other materials that will help tackle the blaze.
    Also, beside the station there'll be a couple of fake houses for practicing different scenarios and training new members in different firefighting techniques such as best placement of water source blocks and fire isolation.

Obviously, charging into a burning building can be quite traumatic so the station will need to include a rec room and maybe include a small oratory and firefighters will have access to a free counselling service.

To be honest, I'm not sure how effective the crew will be! Fire spreads fast and the odds are stacked against us (plus it'll take time for us to log out, change into our firefighting skins and log back in again) but I think it's definitely worth giving it a go for no other reason than having an excuse to slide down a fire pole.

Anyone interested in helping out?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

LOL im in, rescued 2 houses at the very beginning of the new server with 1 bucket

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

It was vinliger who rescued my gaff at the start :)

Anyways, count me in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Sounds like a larf

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭killerhitman

count me in:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Niallwithaz

I'd love to join. Sounds like a bit of craic. I'm Bradles49 on the server. I'd say the station needs a dalmation/tame wolf as its mascot. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Now that there is stackable fences you could have a fireman pole as well.:D Sounds like a fun idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Teg Veece

Okay so I've just laid out a few blocks at the site for the station (x=540, z=50) but the construction is the firecrew's first task.

I think in terms of the structure's appearance, it should be a mix of bricks and cobblestone (with windows too obviously).
    Also, I was thinking of having planks for the floor and a sprinkler system in the ceiling that can be activated by a lever in the event of a fire (using pistons for flow control).

For now, I think a ground floor and a first floor should be enough. Fire truck, equipment cache, dalmatian (nice idea), reception and stairs on the ground floor.
    Upstairs (locked doors) we'd have the rec room, oratory, fire pole leading to ground floor.

Anything else ye can think of adding?

Lets get building!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Sounds like fun, I'd be happy to help

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Sounds like fun, I'd be happy to help

Welcome aboard ScienceNerd.
    Feel free to start adding on to the station. Same goes for everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Xenon560

Count me in, sounds like fun :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

I'm up for it...can't wait for the first fire:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Tankran

Blay wrote: »
    I'm up for it...can't wait for the first fire:pac:

Wait till star visits town again :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Cpt. GavMcG reporting for duty!

Here's an image that I thought we could base the station on.

Fire_Station.gif

And here's the blocky version of it:
    www.brickshelf.com_gallery_panjob_City_Firestation_0firestation.jpg_SPLASH.jpg

We should have at least 3 bays for fire trucks. Each truck will have a couple of locked chest containing equipment.

I also like the idea of a tower to look out at the town from.

We'll have to source some stacks of bricks (we've already been given 2 stacks from one anonymous donor).

There are some blocks already laid from an earlier design but they can be destroyed and relocated to suit this new layout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Niallwithaz

Hey sorry haven't been on in a while as I was away for a few days. I hope to get on minecraft later so I'll help with any building that needs to be done and maybe recruit that dalmation. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

Teg Veece wrote: »
    I think in terms of the structure's appearance, it should be a mix of bricks and cobblestone (with windows too obviously).
    Also, I was thinking of having planks for the floor and a sprinkler system in the ceiling that can be activated by a lever in the event of a fire (using pistons for flow control).

Genius idea, should be a system built into everyone's home.

So the fire truck is slowly coming together:
    214xbnm.jpg
    but it's still not quite done:

14y6bgk.png

I need a fair bit of iron ingots to finish it (and a bit of wool but I can buy that quite cheaply).

If anyone wants to contribute/donate some materials, just leave a chest by the truck with your name and my name (Teg_Veece) on the lock.
    I put about 110 iron ingots into it so far but I need about 200 more to finish it.
    Maybe I should change the design but I'll aim high first and compromise later!

If ye see me online and want to help out, just give me a shout. I've plenty of work that needs doing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Loving the sprinkler idea!

Right well the fire station is finally finished pretty much. Big thanks to everyone who donated iron, bricks etc. You know who you are..

Anyway, here are some pics
    15d7uj6.png

ig9m2u.png

Every self-respecting fire station needs a pole:
    ayvubk.png

Equipment Storage. Each crew member gets a chest that'll be stocked with axes, water buckets, food, sand and ladders:
    wgxjqg.png

Rec Room with bar:
    1178adz.png

Oratory (fire fighters are a religious lot):
    5dmlx3.png

Here's the sprinkler system. It's also available for installation in houses across Minecraftia (for a small fee):
    24pao9d.jpg

2rfy7hc.png

23lxq3s.png

I thought a notice board might come in handy for passing messages and planning training days:
    65sxl5.png

Every room has a fire escape too with a ladder that drops you down safely to street level
    15rnkv5.png

Okay, one of the last things left to build is the training yard. At the moment, it's a blank canvas.
    2doo4n.png
    I was thinking about setting up a purpose-built house towards the back that we could test ourselves in various scenarios. We could build an obstacle course in the foreground.
    As usual, any ideas or help is welcome on this one!

Also, fire spread seems to be disabled outside of towns. Quite a few people have mentioned that they'd prefer to have this enabled (makes things more interesting and it's easier to burn the canopies of trees that people leave floating there) so hopefully Cherry will be able to assist us here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

That is brilliant, I had a look at it a few days ago and even went down the fire pole:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Yeah well done Teg looks awesome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

This Thread is F*'n awesome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭DevilsBreath

Ah lads ye should have used TNT for the red part of the walls.

Advertisement