Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First time Picture Poster, would love c+c

• 06-07-2011 11:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, first time posting some proper pics in the forum. Have seen some fantastci pictures in here and thought I'd throw some from last nights wander through town up. Would love some feedback :)

269944_176172349113103_174993115897693_473640_3099156_n.jpg

268819_176172519113086_174993115897693_473643_6712615_n.jpg

This one has to be my favourite!!!
    268774_176175182446153_174993115897693_473656_2660998_n.jpg

261764_176173109113027_174993115897693_473652_4224662_n.jpg

262089_176172885779716_174993115897693_473649_1398480_n.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Antomus Prime

Oh and PS, I know these shots have been done to death but I just wanted some of my own :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

1st off lose the watermark its doing you no favours!

Your favourite is definitely the best of the lot. I find the rest dark and lacking contrast.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Composition is very good, but, as dazftw has said, they seem pretty dull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I really like the 3rd one, the water mark is very distracting though.

Cheers for the feedback guys, what would you reckon I could do to improve them?

That watermark is only somethin i rushed after reading a big article about people having their photos robbed from sites such as facebook, flickr and so on..... when my website goes live I will have a much more subtle and less distracting one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I wouldn't worry to much about others using your picture without permission, depending on the use you'll either get a settlement out of it or at the very least have some viral spreading of your work which could lead to more work down the line.

As far as I know a watermark can be hidden in a jpeg anyway should you need to prove it's yours down the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

What post-processing did you do?

You could potentially make them pop a bit better with post processing.

Cheers for the feedback guys, what would you reckon I could do to improve them?

That watermark is only somethin i rushed after reading a big article about people having their photos robbed from sites such as facebook, flickr and so on..... when my website goes live I will have a much more subtle and less distracting one

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭shemwhistler

What everyone else says;

I enjoy #3 the most and the watermark really intrudes on the pics.

Matt

PS Really love #3 :)

bullpost wrote: »
    What post-processing did you do?

You could potentially make them pop a bit better with post processing.

I didnt do any PP on them.... the way they are now is straight from the camera

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

They are very dark, maybe try lightening them somehow. If you look at the last one, where there are cars coming across the bridge, usually if the scene is that dark you'll need to have a longer shutter speed to allow enough light into the camera and so you wouldn't see the cars as such, you'd see the light streaks.

Ok, this isn't a great shot but you can see what I mean about it- there is a lot of light coming into the sensor, which keeps it bright, and lets you make out the detail, which is what you need with night shots.

FCE65B038C5D493799FA125292E4E423-500.jpg

• Advertisement

They are very dark, maybe try lightening them somehow. If you look at the last one, where there are cars coming across the bridge, usually if the scene is that dark you'll need to have a longer shutter speed to allow enough light into the camera and so you wouldn't see the cars as such, you'd see the light streaks.

Ok, this isn't a great shot but you can see what I mean about it- there is a lot of light coming into the sensor, which keeps it bright, and lets you make out the detail, which is what you need with night shots.

FCE65B038C5D493799FA125292E4E423-500.jpg

So basically i should try a longer shutter speed should sort them out? Will give it a go.

Your pic looks awesome, i done something similar to that myself on the m50 bridge at ballymount with my old sony alpha a100. But all the lights around the road helped out the photo a good bit i'd say, here's one example from that night...

229149_10150203133048395_507978394_7147120_1410953_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Well just experiment, you need to find a way to get more light into your sensor. You can do that by widening the aperture or keeping the shutter open longer. You can also bump up the ISO, but I leave that as a last resort because I hate the noise that you get from high ISO levels, especially in night shots.

I would advise, for night shots, putting it on 'shutter priority' or whatever, and playing with times to see what gets the best results. I'm in no way an expert, but I've found it the best way to learn. take the same shot off your tripod at 4 or 5 different shutter speeds, and then you can check them out when you get home.

I would advise, for night shots, putting it on 'shutter priority' or whatever, and playing with times to see what gets the best results. I'm in no way an expert, but I've found it the best way to learn. take the same shot off your tripod at 4 or 5 different shutter speeds, and then you can check them out when you get home.

Thats what i was doing but obviously not for long enough. Will keep at it though and see how the results work out. Thanks for your advice :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

Had a quick play with one image - they can be definitely improved by post-processing.

Try basic things like curves, levels, saturation and contrast adjustments.
    I didnt do any PP on them.... the way they are now is straight from the camera

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

too dark for me.

Advertisement