Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arranmore - family friendly?

Options
  • 06-07-2011 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭

I read somewhere that Arranmore is a popular destination with stags and hens these days - is this right? We were planning on heading up there for a weekend soon, and we're not sure what to expect. We'll have 2 couples, with 6 kids between us aged 4-10.

Also, any tips on accommodation, etc? We wouldn't mind having a couple of pints in the evening, but we'd naturally want to avoid too much 'rowdyness' if it's a stag/hen hotspot!

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Needler

Maybe head over to Tory then. Things are more quiet there I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Tory has a lot of events for the over the next few weeks for all the family
    the 22nd to 24th has sports day curraigh races and the cabaret craiceailte.

I'll have more info on the events when the GF comes back (shes from there and away home for a week) Have you decided on a date yet though? Cause not sure if hotel will be open and the B&Bs and hostels may fill up quick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Stags and hens are always concentrated between the two main pubs in Leabgarrow so even if there are some about theyre easy enough to avoid.

Depends what you're looking for in a holiday really, lots of nice beaches, scenery etc which would easily keep you busy for a weekend.

Killeens Hotel recently opened and is supposedly very nice. Theres also a holiday village which might be a better option with all the kids.

Plenty of pubs, Killeens has a nice pub with some great views from the outdoor area. Phils is another nice pub right located on a beach

http://tiger-fruit.com/linked%20websites/ARRANMORE%20WEBSITE/index.html

http://www.arranmoreholidayvillage.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭seven stars

Harps wrote: »
    Stags and hens are always concentrated between the two main pubs in Leabgarrow so even if there are some about theyre easy enough to avoid.

Depends what you're looking for in a holiday really, lots of nice beaches, scenery etc which would easily keep you busy for a weekend.

Killeens Hotel recently opened and is supposedly very nice. Theres also a holiday village which might be a better option with all the kids.

Plenty of pubs, Killeens has a nice pub with some great views from the outdoor area. Phils is another nice pub right located on a beach

http://tiger-fruit.com/linked%20websites/ARRANMORE%20WEBSITE/index.html

http://www.arranmoreholidayvillage.ie/

Thanks for the help lads. We're booked into the Glen Hotel on Arranmore next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Hope you have a great time and the weather is kind.

Post back and let us know how you get on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Rumple Fugly

Just a heads up, don't know if the Glen hotel has been done up in a while, might be a bit dated inside, good location though.
    Have a great stay, you might even see the dolphins on your way over on the ferry if they're still hanging around then.

The Glen wasn't too expensive and we're not madly picky or anything, so I'm sure it'll be fine. It'll make the kids' year if they set eyes on a dolphin, no question about that.

Thanks a mill to everyone for the help with this. I'll let you know how we got on.

Yep the Glen isnt the best place around from what I've heard but fine if you're not fussy I guess

Plenty of dolphins around, saw a group of them yesterday and they frequently swim with the ferries at this time of year so hopefully you get lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

I've never seen the dolphins while on the ferry. Sounds cool though. Must keep my eyes open next time I go out.

Hope you enjoy your stay stars. Don't think Arran is as bad for stags it used to be.

We were really unlucky with our trip to Arranmore. It was raining constantly from the time we arrived, so there wasn't much we could do. I think we made a mistake with the accommodation as well. I couldn't recommend the Glen to anyone unfortunately - it's in a nice location, and the people seemed nice enough, but other than that it's really not such a nice place. I think we noticed it more because the weather was bad so we couldn't be out more.

Maybe we'll go back to Arranmore some day when the weather's better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

That's a real pity about the weather. Arran has some lovely scenery if you can get out and about.
    I would recommend staying in the holiday village if you ever decide to go back. Nice self-catering cottages which would probably suit you better if you're going with a family.
    Hope this experience hasn't put you off returning. You were just unfortunate with the weather.

Yep probably the single worst weekend weather wise we've had all year, including the winter. The holiday village or Killeens would be you're best bet if you're thinking of trying it again.

Advertisement