Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dawkins sounds off. Lots of atheists upset.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭virmilitaris

Oh ok. Have we all finally decided what the guy in the elevator did wrong? So what watson was saying was that men should not approach women in an elevator alone at night and proposition her too quickly because that's creepy.

Is that finally sorted? Can we all agree that's what she was saying? Or are the RW supporters going to change their story yet again?

A really ridiculous incident to be whining about. A complete non-event. Watsons on some mighty big ego trip here.

Am I going to indulge the straw-peopling and desperate attempts to make out that elevatorman's actions are being the same as a heap of other patently different scenarios thatnothing like that which RW made comment on? That would be a no

So it wasn't the same situation - and you didn't do the same thing -

I and others have asked very similar questions which the RW gang have just dismissed without any attempt to answer them. It seems RW and her supporters think women should have a priviliged position above men and other minorities.

My situation was very similar. RW supporters started ranting about being alone at night in an enclosed space with the potential for rape as the cause of the whole discomfort. When I confronted you with a similar situation which ticked all the boxes you refused to comment. Now you are claiming its the speed at which this man made the proposition that was the problem which is different from my situation.

Its very clear that neither RW nor any of her supporters have any concrete idea of 'why' it was wrong.

What if the man had been smaller than her?
    What if he was handsome?
    What if she fancied him?
    What if the woman in question was flattered?
    What if she was horney?

Is it creepy in all those situations?

Women either want equality or they don't. This whole situation reeks of sexism. RW acting the delicate little woman who needs protection from the big bad polite guy in the elevator.

If the worlds such a dangerous place that women have to worry about been attacked anytime they r alone with strange men then you should be wearing burkas accompanied by your husbands.

Thankfully I have more respect for my wife and treat her with the same respect she gives me.

Who wpuld have thought that the feminists in the atheist movement would be scoring points for the muslim treatment of women. Congratulations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I and others have asked very similar questions which the RW gang have just dismissed without any attempt to answer them. It seems RW and her supporters think women should have a priviliged position above men and other minorities.

The RW gang - lol, what are we, 12?

There is no hive-mind...I don't agree that's the basis of the majority of those who see merit in RW initial summation. What I see is a disagreement that men should have a privileged position and that a man's right to accost a women with one-liners supersedes the right of women not to be accosted by strangers dishing out sexually motivated one-liners.
    My situation was very similar.

Yet like most RW rebuttals - and ironically just as she points out - fails to understand what the plea was actually referring to in favour of various colourful and patently different scenarios that are easier to ridicule and rubbish.
    RW supporters started ranting about being alone at night in an enclosed space with the potential for rape as the cause of the whole discomfort. When I confronted you with a similar situation which ticked all the boxes you refused to comment. Now you are claiming its the speed at which this man made the proposition that was the problem which is different from my situation.

Except it didn't tick all the boxes - if you'd had the opportunity to discuss matters elsewhere and instead chose to corner a women in a very small enclosed area in order to make a sexual proposition then you would have ticked all the boxes that "creepy" and "discomfort" are referring to - and who knows what ending to the story would have been.

Some of the later comments were completely OTT - my issue is with the complete and utter failure of some to understand what RW's initial point was - and that for many women it was a good point, well made. The vast majority of women would have turned down elevator-man and gone on their merry way thinking "Euugh, give it up, creep". Given that fact; "Don't do that guys" is a perfectly reasonable and warranted request that many women would be very grateful if all men would pay heed to.
    Its very clear that neither RW nor any of her supporters have any concrete idea of 'why' it was wrong.

What if the man had been smaller than her?
    What if he was handsome?
    What if she fancied him?
    What if the woman in question was flattered?
    What if she was horney?

Is it creepy in all those situations?

The good old what if my auntie had balls, argument eh?

And it's good to see you clearly haven't read any of the points made or the links I provided. The only thing more surprising than a group of supposedly enlightened men thinking their right to accost a woman they fancy the look of, supersedes her right to ask to be left alone is the absolute refusal to accept she may just have a point.
    Women either want equality or they don't. This whole situation reeks of sexism. RW acting the delicate little woman who needs protection from the big bad polite guy in the elevator.

It does reek of sexism, you betcha, it reeks of sexism that some men view their right to accost a woman with a request for sex (despite the desperate protestations to the contrary, I think that's what it was) alone in a lift, supersedes her right to go about her daily business without having to deal with guys "chancing their arm" that she is one of the handful of women who would jump at such an invitation.

It's not about protection for weak women - it's about manners. It's about treating women you haven't met with the same respect you afford your boss, or your colleagues or your friends and family.
    If the worlds such a dangerous place that women have to worry about been attacked anytime they r alone with strange men then you should be wearing burkas accompanied by your husbands.

More if's, more hyperbole, more ignoring the points that have actually been made.

Fabulous.

Some women do worry about being attacked when a man they've never met before accosts them in an enclosed area, some women wonder why, if he's prepared to ignore the social norms and cues that exist in every other walk of life in favour of chancing his arm, what else is he liable to ignore - and unfortunately because such men exist, that's the reality of the situation.

Stating that the majority of women don't appreciate being approached under those circumstances with a one-liner is not equating to islamic burka territory in any language and I hope you can see just how ridiculous peddling that line looks now. If anything demanding a man's right to look for sex, any place, any time, in any manner, is the restrictive and misogynistic view point.
    Thankfully I have more respect for my wife and treat her with the same respect she gives me.

You mean you didn't follow her into an empty lift and throw a one-liner? Ironically - and despite your refusal to see it, I think you and RW are on the same hymn sheet.
    Who wpuld have thought that the feminists in the atheist movement would be scoring points for the muslim treatment of women. Congratulations.

As opposed to some men in the atheist movement - up to and including Dicky who are currently an absolute laughing stock with many for their out-moded and blatantly sexist hypocrisy? And worse - when given very clear and honest reasons for women not wanting to be sexually propositioned off a one-liner in an enclosed area they pooh-pooh the notion and insist that equal rights and basic manners don't exist when it gets in the way of a man's right to proposition. How chest-thumpingly lovely.

Yah, both have much to be proud of...not.

And on that note, I have to be over and out because if you don't get it - not even a little bit after that - then I can't spell it out in any simpler terms for you.

I had written a lengthy reply but my browser crashed. I'm just going to make what I see as my main point.
    The vast majority of women would have turned down elevator-man and gone on their merry way thinking "Euugh, give it up, creep".

Absolutely and I agree. Man chances his arm, man gets rejected, man takes it on the chin and goes his merry way. Welcome to planet Earth.
    Given that fact; "Don't do that guys" is a perfectly reasonable and warranted request that many women would be very grateful if all men would pay heed to.

No it is not. You have shown why it's not on this very thread.

There are two points here.

1. What is 'that' in 'don't do that' guys ? You have consistently failed to define it. 'that' seems to be whatever each particular woman feels it is. Go to RW's blog yourself and see how many different definitions of 'that' there are.

The whole issue with this is that no one seems to be able to define what men shouldn't do in what situations with what women.

Men chase women. Male animals chase female animals (mostly). That is biologically how life works.

Go to after hours or personal issues and you'll see umpteen threads by women complaining how they don't get chatted up. You'll then see umpteen threads by men complaining how they are continually rejected.

This is life.

We are not mind readers. We don't know when a woman is receptive or not until we *shock horror* try our luck.

2. You keep talking about protecting womens rights. What about mens rights ? You are talking about limiting our freedom of speech.

Do you believe that some people (men) shouldn't be allowed to say somethings (make a pass) in certain circumstances (elevator, 4am etc) ?

Where do you stop when you start limiting what one group can or cannot say ?

That is where you make the privileged position. When you limit one group in favour of another.

Just one thing in this seemingly endless struggle to point out what should be blindingly obvious - can you show me any post by a woman complaining strangers don't accost her in a very enclosed area and sexually proposition her, straight off the bat? Even if you did find such a thread - how many women do you think that applies to? Enough to render RW's plea as having no merit for the majority? I don't think so.

If you are looking for some kind of concrete rule book that applies to all women, it doesn't exist - in the same way that we are not robots with our friends and colleagues and every other human interaction cannot be mapped out...and yet we still have no issue applying the basic manners and social codes of conduct in those situations in order to ensure we don't deliberately step all over the feelings, wishes and rights of other people and get labelled creepy and oafish.

It's not about "being allowed to" do anything - that's still missing the point. This isn't parents and children. It's one group of adults trying to explain to another why the sensibilities they use every other minute of the day shouldn't go flying out the window just because they see an attractive woman or feel horny - and that's the expected right to privilege argued by some. Why bother pointing this out? Because the numbers of women put off by such an approach vastly outweigh any that are going to show interest...whether that be because of past experiences, fear, discomfort, annoyance, does the reason [all understandable, imo] even really matter? The fact is, it completely negates any chance they would have had in any further relations with that women in the vast majority of cases. Instead the woman may leave the encounter with a worse overall opinion of men and even thinking that particular man is just a creep. Is that what all these men arguing that the plea shouldn't have been made want?

The overall point, I think, was not trying to make ALL men out to be anything or prevent hook ups or suggest men cannot approach women - it's giving what should be considered a helpful hint that should really be fairly obvious and which would vastly improve the chances for any man who thinks following a woman into an empty lift at 4am to make an offer of an invite to his room is worth chancing your arm over. If men wish to argue for the right to turn off women in their droves and creep them out then be my guest - but you can't then complain that many others find that stance ridiculous.

O&O

Ickle. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

can you show me any post by a woman complaining strangers don't accost her in a very enclosed area and sexually proposition her, straight off the bat?
    I think this sums up the problem and why some women just don't get it.

Yeah - that negates the point being made...duh.

Yeah - that negates the point being made...duh.
    unfortunately it does since it shows how this whole thing is ridiculus which is the point that Dawkins made. Nobody accosted this woman and it is very debatable whether she was even propositioned either.

If someone had accosted this woman I would be the first to step up and say it was bang out of order. That is the only point being made by me and the likes of Dawkins from what I can see.

This whole affair is a nothing being blown out of proportions to seem like something.

It's amazing how many people would consider staring at a person they'd never met/spoken to/even exchanged glances at, at 4am alone in a lift as being creepy and rude - but throwing an invite to their hotel room is perfectly innocent and wouldn't/shouldn't ever be judged as creepy and rude - still missing the point. Social cues, norms and acceptabilities...basic stuff.

It's amazing how many people would consider staring at a person they'd never met/spoken to/even exchanged glances at, at 4am alone in a lift as being creepy and rude - but throwing an invite to their hotel room is perfectly innocent and wouldn't/shouldn't ever be judged as creepy and rude - still missing the point. Social cues, norms and acceptabilities...basic stuff.
    It is very very far from an accostation or any other exaggerated language that has been thrown around in this thread and elsewhere on the net regarding this incident. If there was any hint of not being polite I might agree with you but according to RW the guy was nothing but polite and accepted no instantly without question. Its nowhere close to being on any scale - a non-event imo which is the point Dawkins was also making.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

But it wasn't someone she'd never met! They'd been at a conference together, she recognised him from the bar where they'd been drinking and chatting as a group until 4am in the morning. He was part of her group, not some sinister stranger. Possibly RW is socially inept here, possibly they had exchanged glances, she certainly recognised him, perhaps they'd spoken - I presume he'd opened his mouth as part of the group chat that evening.

And by RW's own admission, the first words out of his mouth were "Don't take this the wrong way" - and she (and you) are going on about people not listening to what she's saying? That's a 2 way street I'm afraid.

It's certainly possible he misjudged the connection between them, it was 4am in the morning and they'd been in a bar, it's not rude, it's not creepy and it's a million miles from rape or sexual assault.

Just one thing in this seemingly endless struggle to point out what should be blindingly obvious - can you show me any post by a woman complaining strangers don't accost her in a very enclosed area and sexually proposition her, straight off the bat?

What this man did was accosting RW ?

I think, Ickle, that you know my opinions on womens rights, especially regarding religion, quite well from my postings here and over the fence in the other forums.

The treatment of women by Muslims for example, is one of, if not the main reasons why I despise Islam above the other religions. You know this as I'm sure we've battled side by side on this very issue before.

If she was in any way harmed I would be firmly on her side. But she was not harmed, there wasn't even the threat of being harmed. An ill-timed and very questionably ill-mannered pass was made at her. She rejected it. The guy took it on the chin and life went on.

This was a non-issue. A non-event. It is beyond ridiculous that she brought it up.

I can think of dozens of situations where I felt 'uncomfortable' but I don't go whining on youtube about it telling half the human race 'not to do it' when I can't even define what 'it' was. Especially when 'it' was such a trivial matter.

I'm not straw manning but here's a question for you. I'm not saying the situations are the same.

My brother was out with me last Saturday night, finally took up the courage to go talk to a woman in a group of women and was shot down very rudely.

Has he the right to tell women not to do that ? Is this an issue ? Should this be taken seriously ?
    Even if you did find such a thread - how many women do you think that applies to? Enough to render RW's plea as having no merit for the majority?

You know that wasn't my point. I never suggested women wanted to be 'accosted'. Don't you see this is the problem ?
    RW doesn't want to be chatted up, fair enough. How are men supposed to know this until we ask ? Some women want to be chatted up.
    If you are looking for some kind of concrete rule book that applies to all women, it doesn't exist

Are we finally making progress ? ;)
    Because the numbers of women put off by such an approach vastly outweigh any that are going to show interest...whether that be because of past experiences, fear, discomfort, annoyance, does the reason [all understandable, imo] even really matter?

So ? If elevator guy tried the same tactic 100 times and he succeeded once then should he not have tried that 1 time he succeeded or the 99 times he failed ? Or all ?
    The fact is, it completely negates any chance they would have had in any further relations with that women in the vast majority of cases.

Ickle, the vast majority of women that men make passes at in their life are not going to have further relations with them regardless of the tactics employed.

Can we just take a breath here and look at this situation objectively.

A man made a creepy / awkward / ill-timed etc pass at a woman. She rejected it. Man goes away.

Why is this an issue ?

Men and women are equal, but we are not the same.

If men acted like women regarding dating then Durex would be out of business in a month. That is not a sexist remark, it's a simple fact of biology.

If women acted like men regarding dating then there'd be a baby boom and rise in STD's like the world has never seen before. This is not a sexist remark, its a simple fact of biology.

Just because I make a pass at a woman, however awkward it is, doesn't mean I only think of her as a receptacle for my man juice.

Here we find a huge gulf in the sexes way of thinking.

To a man a desperate pass in an elevator late at night is a perfectly reasonable thing to do. And a woman rejecting it is a perfectly reasonable thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Mallei

This whole debate is ridiculous. There is a very simple point here.

A man approached Rebecca Watson late at night, in a confined space, after she has asked not to be approached. She then says afterwards - whilst keeping the man anonymous, which she didn't have to do - that it made her uncomfortable, and could guys not do that.

It is basic human decency; that if something makes someone feel uncomfortable then you don't do it. Men don't have to take a woman's feelings into account if they don't want to, but then where do we stand? Society revolves around making exceptions for people that you might not fully understand, but can appreciate that they do. So, guys, just because you don't get why it makes us uncomfortable, that doesn't mean you should ignore that it does. We're not calling you monsters or saying you're rapists - as Count Duckula has so disingenuously claimed - but that something you do makes us uncomfortable and it would be nice if we weren't made to feel that way.

To put it another way - a guy approaches a girl because he wants to get to know her better. Why on earth would he do it in such a way or time that makes her feel uncomfortable? That way leads to immediate and obvious rejection. Choose your moments, men, and you might actually meet with better success :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Mallei wrote: »
    A man approached Rebecca Watson late at night, in a confined space, after she has asked not to be approached.
    Well, as pH says, perhaps he misinterpreted something that took place earlier on in the evening. Or perhaps he was trolleyed, mildly or otherwise, and was missing cues. Or perhaps he'd dropped out for a leak/was chatting with somebody else/not paying attention/whatever when RW mentioned about being made feel uncomfortable by guys hitting on her, or appearing to. Or as I said somewhere much earlier on in this thread, perhaps he was interested just in a cup of coffee with an interesting person -- he did apparently say "Don't take this the wrong way".

While there are plenty of possible interpretations of the events as we're aware of them in which elevatorguy was guilty of overstepping limits, in each of the situation above, talk of overstepping them, intentionally or otherwise, lies somewhere on a spectrum that goes from "misplaced" to "plain out of order".

And that's quite a separate argument from a wider discussion about how guys are supposed to strike up friendships with women without men feeling that their motives might be misinterpreted, and women feeling they're being hit upon. It certainly bugs the hell out of me that I can't suggest a coffee to 50% of the human race without a fair proportion of them thinking that a bleary-eyed coffee the following morning is what I'm really after.

pH wrote: »
    But it wasn't someone she'd never met! They'd been at a conference together, she recognised him from the bar where they'd been drinking and chatting as a group until 4am in the morning.

He said he'd heard her speak earlier - I missed the part where they'd met each other...if they'd been drinking and chatting as a group then I presume he deliberately ignored her saying she didn't like being hit on? Or was he in the loo or some other excuse for following her out of a social situation and into a confined area for an invite to, what was for the night, his bedroom.
    My brother was out with me last Saturday night, finally took up the courage to go talk to a woman in a group of women and was shot down very rudely.

Has he the right to tell women not to do that ? Is this an issue ? Should this be taken seriously ?

Well this is it isn't it - if he had posted about his experiences on a blog and asked "Ladies, don't do that", I wouldn't be here arguing for the right to be rude, make men feel uncomfortable and completely ignore how they feel as another human being given certain circumstances that are, let's face it, easily avoided...I'd be the first in the queue to agree with him.

I guess that's what's really so disappointing about this - the argument that women have no right to even ask men to desist from putting women in a situation than common sense should dictate she would feel uneasy, for the sake of satisfying his own wants and needs - a scenario that results in women declining and feeling creeped out the majority of the time. How can that possibly be deemed a celebrated technique to approach women under that's worth fighting for? :confused:

Ultimately it comes down to the right not to have to field such approaches Vs the right to make such approaches - and I think all RW was doing was asking for guys to exercise a bit of common sense and common courtesy when guys make approaches.

I'm not sure there is. There is an alternative way of looking at it.

At the Dublin convention there was a panel entitled "Women Atheist Activists", here it is:

Now Watson wasn't on that panel, maybe she felt she should have been, who knows, however on her panel "Communicating Atheism" she uses her portion for a speech on sexism in the atheist movement, and very rudely calls out Paula Kirby by name, mocking some of the things she said in a very un-convention like way.

Then she goes on to talk about her stance on abortion, and various moves by the religious right in the US to curtail its availability. What happens next is strange, some atheists as we all know also oppose abortion, and it's an emotive issue, but she definitely equates opposing her stance on abortion to "sexism in the atheist movement".

She then goes on to mention sexually explicit fan mail, which propositions her, says she doesn't like it, says we all need to feel creeped out by it and asks everyone not to do send it. (I'm hazarding a guess that Dawkins reading out his his hate mail is no longer Watson's ring tone).

So then there's Watson's podcast

Where now magically she's right, she's creeped out and propositioned at an atheist conference.

The next step is when Watson used another speaking engagement to publicly criticise a female student who disagreed with her podcast, recounted by Stef McGraw here:

http://www.unifreethought.com/2011/06/fursdays-wif-stef-33.html

This caused a kerfluffle for a different reason, should Watson have singled out a student and named her and publicly had a go at her? She'd been asked to give a keynote at the CFI Student Leadership Conference on the religious right's war on women, she used a portion of this time to respond to a student blog post.

So now we get to PZ Myers post, defending the "naming of names" (and other parts of Watson's position)
    http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2011/07/always_name_names.php

On which Dawkins commented:
    Dear Muslima
    Stop whining, will you. Yes, yes, I know you had your genitals mutilated with a razor blade, and . . . yawn . . . don't tell me yet again, I know you aren't allowed to drive a car, and you can't leave the house without a male relative, and your husband is allowed to beat you, and you'll be stoned to death if you commit adultery. But stop whining, will you. Think of the suffering your poor American sisters have to put up with.
    Only this week I heard of one, she calls herself Skep"chick", and do you know what happened to her? A man in a hotel elevator invited her back to his room for coffee. I am not exaggerating. He really did. He invited her back to his room for coffee. Of course she said no, and of course he didn't lay a finger on her, but even so . . .
    And you, Muslima, think you have misogyny to complain about! For goodness sake grow up, or at least grow a thicker skin.
    Richard

Which to understand you must realise that today (July 11th) is International Day against Stoning. All Dawkins seems to be saying (and yes this is a blog comment - so it may not be written perfectly) that when as a movement there is something important to be concentrating on (Muslim women's rights and stoning), it makes a mockery of it and lessens it to be ignoring it and concentrating on how one woman was uncomfortable in a lift in Dublin.

Watson then (as pointed out in the OP) went nuclear:

The Privelege Delusion

Simple?

Well this is it isn't it - if he had posted about his experiences on a blog and asked "Ladies, don't do that", I wouldn't be here arguing for the right to be rude, make men feel uncomfortable and completely ignore how they feel as another human being given certain circumstances that are, let's face it, easily avoided...I'd be the first in the queue to agree with him.

I would be.

It's every person's right to have freedom of speech.

If women want to be rude to men who approach them then fair enough, that's their right.

It is never alright to demand a limitation on what some group can say under any circumstances.
    I guess that's what's really so disappointing about this - the argument that women have no right to even ask men to desist from putting women in a situation ....

She has every right to ask men. She has no right to tell men. And men have every right to ignore her.

Men make passes at women. Women are rude to men who make passes at them. This is how grown-ups act. If Watson doesn't like it then that's her problem.
    How can that possibly be deemed a celebrated technique to approach women under that's worth fighting for?

I don't agree with holocaust deniers but I will never accept any kind of censorship of them.

All Dawkins seems to be saying (and yes this is a blog comment - so it may not be written perfectly) that when as a movement there is something important to be concentrating on (Muslim women's rights and stoning), it makes a mockery of it and lessens it to be ignoring it and concentrating on how one woman was uncomfortable in a lift in Dublin.

Exactly - the hypocrisy comes in when you accept that stoning, FGM and so on are more worthy of comment than any action in the west that doesn't involve endangerment of life and limb - which also neatly highlights there are far more worthy issues to concentrate on than secularism, certainly more than removing religious statues and priests from school boards - not to mention that one woman's blog nor any number of women agreeing with her sentiments somehow magically meaning less time, effort and thought is going into supporting and fighting for women's rights elsewhere.

I can only presume RD means for women to stop lending their support to his pet cause and concentrate fully on women's rights? They certainly shouldn't be complaining about their privileged position in the west? I presume all those that agree with his sentiments are going to immediately stop complaining about the lack of secular schooling in Ireland and instead throw their weight behind the various groups fighting just to get schools and teachers into other countries? No, not a misogynistic hypocrite at all. :mad:

Exactly

Not sure I understand anything in your post.

Yes some causes are more important than others. In this case Dawkins is arguing that promoting women's rights in societies where they can suffer FGM, be stoned, must wear burkas, cannot drive etc. IS more important that steering the movement into a debate about what can and cannot be asked politely of privileged university educated white women at conferences.

If you don't like that position then fair enough, what would happen if Dawkins (or myself) said it makes us uncomfortable for you not to support that position? Would you immediately respect my comfort and desist?

She has every right to ask men. She has no right to tell men. And men have every right to ignore her.

Seriously? That's the level of semantics it's got to? Blatantly ignoring the message and instead complaining it wasn't preceded by a please?

You are right, men do - men have every right to be complete oafs - they can fight for the right to be rude, bad mannered and anything else they wish - WHY they want to fight so vociferously for the right to ignore all common social courtesies and make someone else feel scared or uneasy or creeped out is what beggars belief.
    pH wrote:
    If you don't like that position then fair enough, what would happen if Dawkins (or myself) said it makes us uncomfortable for you not to support that position? Would you immediately respect my comfort and desist?

Is there any chance of having a discussion without the disingenuous strawmen? Never mind putting off prospective mates, you want to attract females to join atheist-interest groups - common courtesy and lack of respect seems to be a prevailing issue, doesn't it? Another point RW made which many agree with...perhaps, just perhaps, she had a good point to make initially and perhaps, just perhaps, the prevailing sh!tstorm also tells it's own story. Not least because of the sheer volume of male participants who refuse to see that RD's thoughts on the matter are are no different to the arguments those fighting secularism use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,249 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Not sure I understand anything in your post.

Yes some causes are more important than others. In this case Dawkins is arguing that promoting women's rights in societies where they can suffer FGM, be stoned, must wear burkas, cannot drive etc.
    And there is way more important issues that having to listen to the angelus every night at 6 or us not having secular schools or a blasphemy law that can't actually be used to prosecute anyone.
    So if you are holding that Dawkins isn't being a hypocrite then you must agree that us and Dawkins should simply grow thicker skin, ignore that stuff and focus on the actual important stuff like what Ickle suggested. Right?

Exactly - the hypocrisy comes in when you accept that stoning, FGM and so on are more worthy of comment than any action in the west that doesn't involve endangerment of life and limb -

Wow.

Nevermind women are being stoned to death in parts the world. Rebecca Watson got subjected to the horror of a polite proposition at 4am in a hotel elevator. Priceless.

Wow.

Nevermind women are being stoned to death in parts the world. Rebecca Watson got subjected to the horror of a polite proposition at 4am in a hotel elevator. Priceless.

Never mind that a few atheists had to listen to the angelus <insert human tragedy here>. Priceless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭smiles302

So the way she said it is what you take issue with?

I'll give you, "Don't do that guys" can come across as quite rude. "I wouldn't recommend doing that" or something to that effect would have been a bit nicer.
    If women want to be rude to men "...", that's their right.

So what is the problem?

Interesting enough it is how he propositioned her that I would find inappropriate and rude.
    Nobody is arguing that men can't be rude, just if they are they should realise they will be branded rude and inappropriate in that woman's mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭DexyDrain

A man approached Rebecca Watson late at night, in a confined space, after she has asked not to be approached. She then says afterwards - whilst keeping the man anonymous, which she didn't have to do - that it made her uncomfortable, and could guys not do that.

It is basic human decency; that if something makes someone feel uncomfortable then you don't do it. Men don't have to take a woman's feelings into account if they don't want to, but then where do we stand? Society revolves around making exceptions for people that you might not fully understand, but can appreciate that they do. So, guys, just because you don't get why it makes us uncomfortable, that doesn't mean you should ignore that it does. We're not calling you monsters or saying you're rapists - as Count Duckula has so disingenuously claimed - but that something you do makes us uncomfortable and it would be nice if we weren't made to feel that way.

To put it another way - a guy approaches a girl because he wants to get to know her better. Why on earth would he do it in such a way or time that makes her feel uncomfortable? That way leads to immediate and obvious rejection. Choose your moments, men, and you might actually meet with better success :)

Hold on a second. That is why he didn't throw his arms around her slurring 'jaysus babes, yer a fine lookin thing, fancy gettin it on in me room or wha..'.

The way he spoke to her was a text book way of testing the waters (if that was what he intended) while minimising the discomfort for both of them. Both were at liberty to take 'coffee' as 'coffee' out of innocence or courtesy, allowing her to reject his advances without making it clear 'I don't find you remotely attractive', and for him to judge her interest/disinterest without stating plainly 'I find you attractive and want to proposition you'.

A lift is not the perfect venue, but it is private allowing both to save face from public rejection or public knowledge of their hooking up. I don't think there are any hotels greater than six or seven floors in Dublin so it's not exactly a predators ideal stalking ground.

Seriously though, we're all going to encounter flirtatious or awkward propositions throughout life, but now men are supposed to act in accordance with the kind of girl he is propositioning as if he knows how every specific female will respond or feel in advance of actually reaching the stage when you could judge these things.

It's a bloody uncomfortable business for the majority of people, that is why people use indirect speech like this poor guy was using, to give each potential partner the respect and opportunity to reject you in a similarly indirect way.

Where will the next generation of feminists come from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Talk about making mountains out of molehills. Some guy hit on her on a night out....... big swinging mickeys. Jesus that kind of whingy, whiny, nonsense really pisses me off.
    He asked her, she said no, it's called a conversation. People have them all the time. Come on, if people didn't propositon each other at some stage wouldn't we become extinct?
    What a complete and total non-event. The girl is a complete muppet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Come on Ickle I'm sure you rudely shot down a few guys in your time :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭Emiko

Another point RW made which many agree with...perhaps, just perhaps, she had a good point to make initially and perhaps, just perhaps, the prevailing sh!tstorm also tells it's own story. Not least because of the sheer volume of male participants who refuse to see that RD's thoughts on the matter are are no different to the arguments those fighting secularism use.

I thought the ****storm was partially because she publicly named the guy, a student of hers, during a speech she made about the incident?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭smiles302

I thought the ****storm was partially because she publicly named the guy, a student of hers, during a speech she made about the incident?

Oh no no, the student was a female blogger who made a YouTube video saying she disagree with Watson.

Watson called the girl out during a talk she was giving at the student's University.
    (Which I thought was awfully childish)

She hasn't named elevator guy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭Emiko

smiles302 wrote: »
    Oh no no, the student was a female blogger who made a YouTube video saying she disagree with Watson.

Watson called the girl out during a talk she was giving at the student's University.
    (Which I thought was awfully childish)

She hasn't named elevator guy.

My misunderstanding.

Cheers.

Advertisement