Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The best bike for me (advice please)

• 06-07-2011 11:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,941 ✭✭✭

Hello. I am thinking of getting back in the saddle for commuting and was wondering if you could help me.

I used to courier when the money was good in the mid nineties, so that was a long time ago. My favourite bike was the most popular one at the time, the Specialized Rock Hopper with a pair of slicks, it was light, took loads of abuse, robust, reliable and didn't stand out too much (theft)...

I want another one, the bike seems to have evolved, disc brakes, weird bend on the frame and it's expensive.

I don't mind spending the few bob, from experience, the durability is excellent. I will be sharing this bike with my wife, she wants to go for a spin every now and then, she's not much smaller than me, so it will be a case of just lowering the saddle. I may put a kids seat on the back at some stage in the next few years.

My commute will be part park, part (shyte) roads and then mostly cycle path, I intend to ride it with a degree of energy as I get cyclefitter.

Am I a nostalgic moron? Or am I going for an old reliable that will last me for years (Volvo of bikes if you like)?

Thanks a million in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Vizzy

I'm the same as you- had a Rockhopper in the 90's-brilliant bike

Bought another last year-even better cos of the new gear system,brakes,suspension etc.
    The are others out there also,depending on your budget e.g Cube or Trek and there is a nice second hand Giant XTC carbon for sale in the adverts section of boards.I was torn between an XTC and the Rockhopper when I was buying this time around but I found the geometry of the Giant didn't suit me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Expensive mountain bikes are thief magnets. I wouldn't leave one locked on the street for any length of time, regardless of the quality of the lock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,941 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Great stuff lads, thanks a million for that info. Do you use yours for a commute Vizzy?

Yeah, the theft issue is an important one to bring up. I won't be bringing it in to the city centre for now anyway Lumen, I'm in Dublin here, are things that bad? Even in a heavily pedestrianised area (top of Grafton St.) Weirdly, I have never had a bike taken on me from home (dogs:D) or locked up all over Dublin! (fluke)

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I'm in Dublin here, are things that bad?

Depends on location and time of day. Aside from the theft risk, there are scumbag-infested areas where people will damage your bike (e.g. taco the wheels) just for the hell of it.

Just get a reasonable (but not fancy) hybrid. You're sharing with your wife so fitting a proper road bike (e.g. with drop bars) to suit both of you will be difficult.

You only need a proper mountain bike for proper mountain biking.

Lumen wrote: »
    ust get a reasonable (but not fancy) hybrid

Thanks for your input, I have had two hybrids and I just didn't like them. I didn't like they way they rode or felt to be honest, I'm quiet short and they never suited me for some reason... but, could you stick up a link of what you are thinking of if you have the time? Cheers!

• Advertisement

Thanks for your input, I have had two hybrids and I just didn't like them. I didn't like they way they rode or felt to be honest, I'm quiet short and they never suited me for some reason... but, could you stick up a link of what you are thinking of if you have the time? Cheers!

On a budget:

Carrera Subway
    http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_810737_langId_-1_categoryId_212377

Splashing out:

Cube Hyde Team Bike '11
    http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=0&idproduct=40347

Thanks for the effort Lumen, that's food for thought. I will reconsider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Great stuff lads, thanks a million for that info. Do you use yours for a commute Vizzy?

Yeah, the theft issue is an important one to bring up. I won't be bringing it in to the city centre for now anyway Lumen, I'm in Dublin here, are things that bad? Even in a heavily pedestrianised area (top of Grafton St.) Weirdly, I have never had a bike taken on me from home (dogs:D) or locked up all over Dublin! (fluke)

John, I do use mine on a short commute(about 3k each way to work and I am lucky enough to be able to get home at lunch) but the bike is generally used on mountain tracks/roads.
    I agree with all the rest of the lads say about theft and I am currently in the process of rebuilding a 90's Peugeot MTB( no suspension,slicks etc) to commute on,and then use the Rockhopper for mountain use only.

I hear what you are saying lads. I really appreciate the advice, again, thanks.

Advertisement