Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on if I should study Photography in college.

• 06-07-2011 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭

Hey Guys! I've always had a interest in photography but never took it too seriously but family and friends keep suggesting that I should study it in college but the only problem is I really don't believe I have the potential to be a photographer also this September I'll be going into 5th year so if I do decide to go into Photography I'd better start with my portfolio. I've attached a link with some recent photo's to this post instead of flooding you guys with photos. (I've only been learning bits and bobs online and teaching myself for about a year and a half now)

Also would you say Photography is a good career? The thought of being self employed intimidates me especially with the fact that there will always be better and also more well known photographers out there than you.

http://aislingchubb.tumblr.com/ Also I don't know why but the landscape photos are shown really small but if you'd prefer to see it bigger I can post it here for you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭Scamp-

Hey Guys! I've always had a interest in photography but never took it too seriously but family and friends keep suggesting that I should study it in college but the only problem is I really don't believe I have the potential to be a photographer also this September I'll be going into 5th year so if I do decide to go into Photography I'd better start with my portfolio. I've attached a link with some recent photo's to this post instead of flooding you guys with photos. (I've only been learning bits and bobs online and teaching myself for about a year and a half now)

Also would you say Photography is a good career? The thought of being self employed intimidates me especially with the fact that there will always be better and also more well known photographers out there than you.

http://aislingchubb.tumblr.com/ Also I don't know why but the landscape photos are shown really small but if you'd prefer to see it bigger I can post it here for you

Do you want to study it? Yes? Then do it.

I'm going back to college after 5 years to study this year, I'm not an idiot, I know it's a recession and I will not be the best photographer in Dublin, but if I don't do it now, I never will.

Do what you want, life is too short and if it doesn't work out, well then you'll (we'll) move on to something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

you do not need a qualification to become a photographer .... build a portfolio... show it off to people via a website and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭rubdub

I've just finished my first year of Photography in DIT, I agree with PCPhoto in that you don't need a degree in photography to become a photographer, but personally, the reason I took the course was that, I was out of education for a few years, living abroad and working in dead end retail jobs that sucked the life out of me. When I came back to Dublin there was no jobs, I had my camera equipment and a (somewhat) talent for photography, but the one thing I lacked was drive and motivation, and that's why I decided to go back to college. Since then it has completely reignited my love for photography and I never look back on going back to college.

You'll learn some really cool stuff, 35mm, medium format and large format, and all the history of photography/visual studies until you near hate it, but it will all stand to you, again all these things you could do yourself probably quicker than doing 4 years of a degree or whatever, but it definitely is worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

PCPhoto wrote: »
    you do not need a qualification to become a photographer .... build a portfolio... show it off to people via a website and stuff.

As true as that is, i went back into education (specifically photography) a couple of years ago, and am going into the final year of my BA this year.

While i have certain issues with it, i dont regret it one bit - as it gave me the opportunity to immerse myself in photography for a few years, rather than doing bits and bobs here and there.

It gave me a chance to learn studio skills without having to pay through the nose for hire, it gave me the opportunity to get to grips with equipment i would never have afforded/thought about too.

It's not for everyone, and it certainly doesnt make you a "photographer" but its worked for me so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

I couldn't agree more with what people have said above; no you don't need a degree, but having just finished a 4 year one I can say I loved every single moment of it, I learned things I probably never would have even known I *Needed* to learn, and I made contacts that I think I'll always use. Plus, having a degree gives me confidence to say "yes, actually, I *do* know what I'm talking about". Even if it's just to myself :).

The way things are, you're going to have to be a graduate to stand a good chance of getting a job (I tried without - most places wouldn't even look at me, even with 12 years experience), and having gone to college to study what I got the points for first time round and hating it, I can tell you that it makes all the difference in the world to how well you'll do academically if you have a genuine interest in the thing you're studying. So if you love photography, or even if you just really like it, then go for it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Aisling, you should try to attach yourself to a couple of photographers in here (cough, cough) and be there for a couple of photoshoots so you can see what goes on and get an idea of the pressures you might find yourself under. Of course maybe you've already done that last year in TY but no harm in broadening your horizons.

Since I became a pro shooter, I've realised that there's an awful lot of stuff that happens prior to and subsequent to shooting which I didn't really factor until I started. With the type of stuff I do (multiple models, fashion and beauty) there's a lot of paperwork and chasing people up which absorbs a lot of energy. There's also hours in front of Lightroom/photoshop which can become endless, and of course needs to be absorbed int your budgets somehow. This work is separate from the actual shoot itself.

Anyway, contact smelltheglove, Sinead and me (of course) :) off-list and hopefully you'll get a flavour.

H

• Registered Users Posts: 33 i5kra

Hi Aisling,

Only spotted this now. As somebody who went back to college after being stuck in an office job for 10 years I can tell you that it makes a big difference to do something you love. College courses can be tough even at the best of times so if you have a real passion and aptitude for the subject you're studying it will stand to you. A lot of the things you get taught in college will take you out of your comfort zone and make you see and approach all kinds of subject matter differently.

Confidence is the prime thing you need as a photographer.

Like everything we do there are going to be ups and downs in it - but if you have a passion for what you do then you can get through it. Certainly one thing you have to toughen up about is when you get a crit on your work and a tutor tears your stuff to shreds (it happens to everybody!!) But the idea is to get you to do something different and break free from what you've been doing before.

Definitely the theory/written side of things is something you have to endure as well. There will be essays and written stuff to do! There is no escape from it!!!! It can seem a bit intimidating also but it's not too bad once you figure it out. One really good book to have a look at that gives a fairly good overview of the current photography theory and uses words that we can all understand is: Photography: a critical introduction by Liz Wells. I'd say just dip into it at this stage and you'll get the gist of some of the stuff they'll be dealing with. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Photography-Critical-Introduction-Liz-Wells/dp/041530704X

As for courses you have BA degrees in IADT and DIT in Dublin as well as one in the University of Ulster in Belfast which I hear good things about (a new course, small class sizes so they can take their time with students as opposed to being a conveyor belt operation). You could also do a photography portfolio course in a PLC college after you finish the Leaving Cert.

In the meantime all I can suggest is take photos, take more photos and then take a lot more photos!!!! There is nothing like practice practice practice!! And try your hand at different styles as well: black and white documentary, urban stuff, artistic work etc etc. The more varied your portfolio is then it shows that you're serious and you are not just a one trick pony and not open to change.

This is just my tuppence worth anyhow! Feel free to give me a shout if I can be of any help.

Advertisement