Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creasote Prob;em.

• 07-07-2011 12:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hi, Can anyone offer an opinion as to how to limit the bleed of creasote from railway sleepers? They have been laid for about a year and there is still some creasote seeping out.It is staining clothes when people sit or lean against them.Any suggestions or do I just have to wait for natural drying?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭heinbloed

No way in-situ.

A warning sign ("due to bad material choice, incompetent specifiers, risk of poisoning and material damage etc. ...") is the next offer.

There should be no contact between living beings and creosote. Ask your local health and safety inspector.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭D.Craftsman

I know the wrong choice was made originally but it is beyond fixing now. I have heard some people had success with a barrier method.I just cannot see a varnish etc taking over the creosote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,714 ✭✭✭brian_t

I have successfully painted creosote treated fence posts using an Alluminium paint primer first but they were probably more weathered then your sleepers.

Apart from Alluminium paint I don't think anything else will work successfully.

However http://www.ehow.com/how_7149771_seal-creosote-treated-railroad-ties.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭heinbloed

Creosote itself (the destilled oil from coal or lignite) is a solvent. It will dissolve many things, even PU - see the link posted by brian_t.

The 'barrier solution' propably means to put something between skin/cloth and the creosote.
    If an installed product does not meet health and safety expectations get rid of it. And ask the specifier for compensation. If the product was not legally designed ( and sold!) for the purpose then contact a silicitor/lawyer.

There are EU consumer laws. If the national legislation has failed to protect the consumer despite the EU demands it then even the gouverment can be brought to court.

As far as I know only Ireland and the UK are used as creosote dumps, all other EU members protect their citicens by more efficient methods. But check that, the EU consumer organisations know how to tackle incompetent gouverments in cases like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Hi, Can anyone offer an opinion as to how to limit the bleed of creasote from railway sleepers? They have been laid for about a year and there is still some creasote seeping out.It is staining clothes when people sit or lean against them.Any suggestions or do I just have to wait for natural drying?

I'm aware of the dangers but in answer to your question.

Yacht Varnish. 2 - 3 coats will retain the look of them but will create a clear film over them. Its relatively cheap and easy to do. I have seen it done in a few places and it looks quite well. It may not protect against the danger of creosote, but it will stop the staining of clothes and skin.

• Advertisement
Advertisement