Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to buy degree books from former students!

Options
  • 07-07-2011 12:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭

Ive gotten accepted in to the degree course (media production management) and Im looking to source some books from former students as Im broke and cant afford to pay the full whack for books on top of fees! anyone got any to sell or know any former degree students that would be selling?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hesho

Hey I completed the course this year but dont have any books to sell. What I will say though is that loads of people on the course got through the year with no books at all. Loads of the notes go up on moodle and any books you need can be sourced from the DCU library (you will be given a DCU student card at the start of the year). The resource room in the college also has pretty much all of the books you need.

I did however buy the cultural studies book and found that it was handy to have throughout the year.

http://www.amazon.com/Cultural-Theory-Popular-Culture-Reader/dp/0820328499

I'd sell you mine but I need it for my thesis! You can see from the link though that second hand copies can be got for next to nothing. That link is for the 2nd edition but it will still suffice for the year.

So I would not really recommend spending a fortune on buying books for every last module, maybe just get one or two and you can swap with people in your class as the year goes on.

Good luck with the course! It's tough but worth it. Quickest college year of my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

thanks for the great advice! really appreciate it! did you actually have to go out to dcu for any classes?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hesho

Nah we had to go out one day with the course co-ordinator to attend a class on how to use the library system but it was all pretty basic. The amount of time you spend in DCU varies from person to person really! Some people head out every week to use the library and work on assignments because all the books you will ever need are there and it's very quiet. I only went out a handfull of times myself but its a great resource to have. Especially when you have a thesis to do during the summer! Aside from that though all your time will be spent between the main building and the media building in Ballyer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 moonzeke

Hey, I saw your post about you getting into ballyfermot-Well done! I have an interview in August and just wondering what you did to prepare? I got an email saying a 300 word presentation-is this all you did and did you do a subject relating to what you want to do your thesis on?, Would really appreciate any info. Thanks a mill!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

Hesho wrote: »
    Nah we had to go out one day with the course co-ordinator to attend a class on how to use the library system but it was all pretty basic. The amount of time you spend in DCU varies from person to person really! Some people head out every week to use the library and work on assignments because all the books you will ever need are there and it's very quiet. I only went out a handfull of times myself but its a great resource to have. Especially when you have a thesis to do during the summer! Aside from that though all your time will be spent between the main building and the media building in Ballyer.

Thats great, I was worried about the trek out there as I live very far away, but Im relieved now that I know I dont have to trek out there for classes on a daily/weekly basis :) where you in college 5 days a week or did you get one day a week off like most of the other courses do?

moonzeke wrote: »
    Hey, I saw your post about you getting into ballyfermot-Well done! I have an interview in August and just wondering what you did to prepare? I got an email saying a 300 word presentation-is this all you did and did you do a subject relating to what you want to do your thesis on?, Would really appreciate any info. Thanks a mill!

Yeah I had a presentation for my media project as well as C.V with me, I was in a 2 year radio course before apply for the degree and so I talked about that quite a bit as well as about my media project

• Advertisement
Advertisement