Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most expensive pint in Dublin at the moment?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

A lot of tourists aren't going to drink eight pints. They'll drink four at the most (English/Scots/Welsh stags and hens aside), it's not a huge amount of money if people are drinking two or three pints of Guinness. A lot of these places have live music too, these musicians need to be payed, late licenses are expensive along with overtime for staff including extra security (bouncers). I'd imagine some are paying stupid upward only rents.

Like anything, buyer beware, they should all have prices on the door, but, if you're single and chasing tourist fella's or girls you're going to have to pay the ferryman! (or drink less) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Uaru

It's amazing that people from Dublin are surprised by the price of drink in Temple Bar. It's been that way since the 90's. Drink elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

John_Rambo wrote: »
    A lot of these places have live music too, these musicians need to be payed, late licenses are expensive along with overtime for staff including extra security (bouncers). I'd imagine some are paying stupid upward only rents.

My local does all of the above and doesnt charge 6.60€ and 3.20€ for the drinks.Pure greed and the chance to rip off tourists.

returnNull wrote: »
    My local does all of the above and doesnt charge 6.60€ and 3.20€ for the drinks.

Fair play, upward only rent, late license, licensed bouncers, overtime... and keeping the prices down. What pub is it? Does it have the type of rent you'd expect to be paying in Temple Bar?
    Pure greed and the chance to rip off tourists.

These establishments are businesses, in the business of making profits by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

My local does all of the above and doesnt charge 6.60€ and 3.20€ for the drinks.Pure greed and the chance to rip off tourists.

The place is wedged all the time. It would be as full if they charged €3 a pint. If people are stupid enough to pay almost €7 a pint, it would be crazy to charge less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 d4head77

Thought Gogartys was the dearest about Temple Bar, but the Temple Bar pub itself is an outrageous €6.25. I won't be back. Vote with our feet, folks!

Down the country there are still places where it's €3.90.

d4head77 wrote: »
    Vote with our feet, folks!

Down the country there are still places where it's €3.90.

Dead right, don't go if you don't want to pay! But, the last few times I have been in these places with clients (can I have a receipt please) they were full of people from "down the country"!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Cienciano wrote: »
    If people are stupid enough to pay almost €7 a pint, it would be crazy to charge less.
    +1

As my mother would say "It's not half dear enough".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

Cienciano wrote: »
    The place is wedged all the time. It would be as full if they charged €3 a pint. If people are stupid enough to pay almost €7 a pint, it would be crazy to charge less.

And there are plenty of stupid people out there to pay it.

I sometimes think some folk deliberately go to these rip-off kips just to be able to boast that they can afford it afterwards. Fools and their money.

Plenty of decent, reasonably-priced pubs in the city, if you can be arsed to look. It's not hard, even for someone like me who has never lived in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

Fair play, upward only rent, late license, licensed bouncers, overtime... and keeping the prices down. What pub is it?
    Its in ranelagh so wouldnt expect the rent/rates to be that cheap.
    Does it have the type of rent you'd expect to be paying in Temple Bar?
    probably not,but the road your going down doesnt make sense.The price of pints on dame street and in pubs on/off grafton street would make me think templebar is a ****ing rip off and that a good few cents that are added on to the pints would indicate greed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

probably not,but the road your going down doesnt make sense.The price of pints on dame street and in pubs on/off grafton street would make me think templebar is a ****ing rip off and that a good few cents that are added on to the pints would indicate greed.

Well said, McDaid's, The Duke, Keogh's and Neary's are all proper authentic Dublin boozers and all have reasonably priced pints and are all less than a minutes walk from Grafton Steeet. In Temple Bar itself you have Bowes, The Palace and Brogan's that all offer pints of stout and lager for well south of €6.

ranelagh

Right so, I'm guessing the musicians are in for a session, not paid, maybe with a couple of pints, your local is way off the tourist route, rent is cheaper, they don't have to pay for much security etc...

Tourist areas are expensive everywhere. If you don't want to pay, don't go. If you have people over visiting them, direct them or bring them where Dubliners go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

A lot of tourists aren't going to drink eight pints. They'll drink four at the most (English/Scots/Welsh stags and hens aside), it's not a huge amount of money if people are drinking two or three pints of Guinness. A lot of these places have live music too, these musicians need to be payed, late licenses are expensive along with overtime for staff including extra security (bouncers). I'd imagine some are paying stupid upward only rents.

I work a door not one minute from Gogartys and we're €4 for all drinks before ten and €5 after until closing, we've got live music, DJ and security ~ as for overtime, lol. I'd be surprised if there's any bars in Templebar paying overtime or holiday rates to anyone.

I've been working in Templebar since the mid 90's and can find no justification for the prices charged in the likes of Gogarty's, Fitzsimmons etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

The justification for their prices is that people are willing to pay.

I work a door not one minute from Gogartys and we're €4 for all drinks before ten and €5 after until closing, we've got live music, DJ and security ~ as for overtime, lol. I'd be surprised if there's any bars in Templebar paying overtime or holiday rates to anyone.

I've been working in Templebar since the mid 90's and can find no justification for the prices charged in the likes of Gogarty's, Fitzsimmons etc.

The place you're in (if I'm assuming correctly) is catering to a niche market and has never been that busy when I've been in. Fitzsimons and Gogarty's are rammed all the time and know they can charge what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

chopper6 wrote: »
    Beware The Pint on Eden Quay...5.40 for a pint of heniken.

Gypsy Rose on Aston Quay has all drinks for 4 quid before 11..the doorman is an awfull bollix though.
    January wrote: »
    Seriously? Read the warning up above, lets leave doormen's attitudes out of this.

The doorman in question is a former mod of this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Uaru wrote: »
    The place you're in (if I'm assuming correctly) is catering to a niche market and has never been that busy when I've been in. Fitzsimons and Gogarty's are rammed all the time and know they can charge what they want.

The pub he works in is a fairly niche market, but it's always packed when I'm in there. Plenty of tourists in the early evening, too.

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    The pub he works in is a fairly niche market, but it's always packed when I'm in there. Plenty of tourists in the early evening, too.

It was dead the 4 or 5 times I was in. That was well over a year ago though in fairness. My point being that if they tried to charge what their neighbours are charging it would be completely empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

Gogarty’s probably have other expenses such as advertising in the Aer Lingus in-flight magazine and stuff like that, seeing as they’re concentrating on the tourist market.

However, regardless of whether it’s “justified” or not, they can charge what they like. Customers can choose whether to pay or not, it’s not like they’re selling basic foodstuffs like bread or milk that people have no choice but to buy.

A night out in a Dublin pub is a luxury. People who say “yeah but 6.60 a pint, it’s a disgrace” have no idea how a business works. If you have a product that’s selling as well as possible (apparently the pub is jammers every night of the week), would you honestly drop your prices?

I’ve seen this tons of times in Ireland, people p1ss and moan about the prices, but buy anyway. The only thing the seller looks at is whether the product is selling, not whether people think the price is ‘fair’.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

anyone know where the weatherspoons in temple bar is opening?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,141 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Paid the equivalent of €14.30 for a half litre Guinness in Singapore last month, I nearly fainted. And it wasnt that I was being stupid wanting to drink imported Guinness when I could have had local brew, any and all beer was between €12 and €20 per half litre in City bars.

I thought itd make me never complain about Dublin prices again, yet there I was giving out stink about it in Doheny and Nesbitts on Saturday night!

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

I wonder what would happen if any of the popular tourist pubs ran a pricing experiment. Charge 6 EUR for a week and then 5 EUR the following week. Count up their profits and see which is a better economic model. It is not just about charging what people would pay as stated above. It is also about maximizing profit.

I wonder if many of the Temple Bar and vicinity pubs would make more money charging a less-than-rip-off price. While you might not get more total customers, the ones you get might stay for another pint or two if they feel the price is fair. My two cents :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Whats the Bar PM please

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Tbh I'd rather pay an extra €20 and have a Saturday night in Gogartys than have that cash in my pocket and be in most other pubs in the City.

I'm far from loaded but as a one off it's not that outrageous compared to tourist areas in other parts of the World. At 6pm on a Tuesday not so much but then the cost would be a lot less at that time. This €6.60 being quoted is late night weekend price.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

buckfast has gone from i think 12e a few years ago up to 18 in the bernard shaw... the lens nearly fell out of my hipster wayfares...til i realised they were lensless to begin with.

but seriously, thats some hike, lovely pub and other beers are ok price

Pro€it. :)

buckfast has gone from i think 12e a few years ago up to 18 in the bernard shaw... the lens nearly fell out of my hipster wayfares...til i realised they were lensless to begin with.

but seriously, thats some hike, lovely pub and other beers are ok price

That's because it's wine. It got all the same tax hikes as proper wine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

Hootanany wrote: »
    Whats the Bar PM please

Gypsy Rose on Aston Quay.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Uaru wrote: »
    That's because it's wine. It got all the same tax hikes as proper wine.

... I'm assuming you are joking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

... I'm assuming you are joking

No he's not...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckfast_Tonic_Wine

Its at the sewage end of the wine ladder, but wine it is. Perhaps its where bad grapes go when they die.

Advertisement