Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most expensive pint in Dublin at the moment?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Not a pint, but I was out on Thursday with a girl, and with the out-f***ing-rageous queues everywhere we settled on Fitzsimons because there was none (still packed though), we were right by it, and she was freezing. We were in that nasty/sleepy sobering-back-up phase so I figured I'd get us a double vodka & red bull each to save waiting at the bar again and to wake us back up (usually can't stand that combo mind).

Well.......

€37.60.

For two double vodka/red bulls. Almost €20 each. I nearly fell over when the barman said it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

... I'm assuming you are joking

A fortified wine like port, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Is that with two red bulls? I used to drink that years ago and the most expensive would be £12, that's inflation for you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Billy86 wrote: »
    Not a pint, but I was out on Thursday with a girl, and with the out-f***ing-rageous queues everywhere we settled on Fitzsimons because there was none (still packed though), we were right by it, and she was freezing. We were in that nasty/sleepy sobering-back-up phase so I figured I'd get us a double vodka & red bull each to save waiting at the bar again and to wake us back up (usually can't stand that combo mind).

Well.......

€37.60.

For two double vodka/red bulls. Almost €20 each. I nearly fell over when the barman said it

Hope you said no thanks and walked out.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Hope you said no thanks and walked out.
    Couldn't,really - I only noticed in the change of a €50 note, having assumed it would be somewhere in the €20s. Sadly with how stupidly busy it was Thursday it would have been probably close to an hour before we could get in anywhere else and get to the bar.

So yeah, they got their extra few Euro off me that night. We didn't buy a single other drink but they can still be satisfied, and good for them. They'll also never see either of us ever again. So I hope they really do enjoy that extra few Euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Couldn't,really - I only noticed in the change of a €50 note, having assumed it would be somewhere in the €20s. Sadly with how stupidly busy it was Thursday it would have been probably close to an hour before we could get in anywhere else and get to the bar.

So yeah, they got their extra few Euro off me that night. We didn't buy a single other drink but they can still be satisfied, and good for them. They'll also never see either of us ever again. So I hope they really do enjoy that extra few Euro.

I was out on Thurday and went to Cassidys (Westmoreland St), Bowes, the Palace in Temple Bar and Ri-Ra - no queues and reasonable priced pints to boot. You didn't look hard enough I'm afraid

A Disgrace wrote: »
    I was out on Thurday and went to Cassidys (Westmoreland St), Bowes, the Palace in Temple Bar and Ri-Ra - no queues and reasonable priced pints to boot. You didn't look hard enough I'm afraid
    Hamstrung... she wanted to go somewhere more dance-floory which is why I cut a deal on Fitzsimons since I'm not exactly a fan of those to begin with (see the 'Irish people and escalators' thread in After Hours :D - and those dance-floory places would naturally have been more packed as it was a Thursday and thus mostly students, which stupidly only occurred to me the next day). Christ even the Turks Head (haven't been there since literally a decade ago for my predebs) was out the door, down the street and around the corner.

I'm not having too bothered over the price of the drinks. Badly planned out night on my end when I should have pulled her to the Shaw for a happy medium and gone there a bit earlier to avoid potential queues, but oh well... organisation never was a strong suit I guess :p . Just that I won't be there again, and would suggest the same to others. I also found it weird how the bar man didn't warn me - I was in an On the Run with a band hangover some months back, went for 1 sausage roll and 2 jambons and the guy warns me "you do know the jambons are €3.50 each?" - absolute star for doing so. Went with two rolls, but little things like that go a long way (and help him not get it in the ear off every person ordering a jambon, ha).

Shame too, because I like their 'live music pub / dancefloor crap / beer garden roof' filtering system, especially in the summer when the weather is good and even as an ex-smoker (2 months without as of Saturday!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I doubt they are trained to warn people how expensive their drinks are. Not in a busy place like that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

No he's not...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckfast_Tonic_Wine

Its at the sewage end of the wine ladder, but wine it is. Perhaps its where bad grapes go when they die.

i dont think it merits the price hike up to 18 e

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

That's the problem with places like Fitzsimon's (and several others in Temple Bar)... they don't care that you'll never come back.

That place is no-one's local, they're in the business of fleecing tourists and if you are a local you really should know better than to be going in there tbh! Porterhouse across the road or the Czech Inn or Turk's Head around the corner would have been a lot more reasonable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭AsianDub

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

Is there an opposite thread for this, dublins cheapest pint? decent location would also come into this equation though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

"you do know the jambons are €3.50 each?" - absolute star for doing so.

What's a jambon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Its almost like people are going out of their way to find expensive pints to be outraged about.

Heres a tip: drink somewhere cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

But if you don't know what the pub is like, you get the nasty surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭AsianDub

Is there an opposite thread for this, dublins cheapest pint? decent location would also come into this equation though.

Dicey's Harcourt St. Specials on Sun, Tues, Wed, Thurs, Fri. €2 - €4 drinks.
    O' Reilly's & McTurcaills, Tara Street. €3.60 and €4
    JW Sweetman, €4 own craft beers.
    The Flowing Tide, Abbey St. €4 beers on a Friday.
    The 51 Bar, Haddington Road, €4 pints Sun - Wed

Barna77 wrote: »
    But if you don't know what the pub is like, you get the nasty surprise.

Look at the price list or ask the price before you buy. Its not rocket science.

AsianDub wrote: »
    Dicey's Harcourt St. Specials on Sun, Tues, Wed, Thurs, Fri. €2 - €4 drinks.
    O' Reilly's & McTurcaills, Tara Street. €3.60 and €4
    JW Sweetman, €4 own craft beers.
    The Flowing Tide, Abbey St. €4 beers on a Friday.
    The 51 Bar, Haddington Road, €4 pints Sun - Wed

Cheers, I know most of them, or reillys was at one stage €3.40 a couple of months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

drumswan wrote: »
    Its almost like people are going out of their way to find expensive pints to be outraged about.

Heres a tip: drink somewhere cheaper.

I think some posters (including you) have misread the point of the original thread...

tip : its in the title.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    I think some posters (including you) have misread the point of the original thread...

tip : its in the title.

The title breathes pretentiousness, and our incessant Irish attitude to bemoan everything. Why not spin a positive and post bargains?

The title breathes pretentiousness, and our incessant Irish attitude to bemoan everything. Why not spin a positive and post bargains?

Yes, because allowing people to make informed decisions based on other peoples experiences isnt a positive thing no ??

Yes, because allowing people to make informed decisions based on other peoples experiences isnt a positive thing no ??

Ah thats what you call it. Its just stating the obvious.

Avoid temple bar for the most part and the "swankier" south dublin joints and hotels if you're price sensitive.

You'd probably be better off drinking listermint anyway, it'd be cheaper.

Theres a cluster of pubs in Temple Bar charging high prices for drink. This is news to nobody, its in every guide book about Dublin going.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

The same way restaurants post the menu outside to have a look before deciding to enter, I wish pubs would do the same. Yes I realize they DO post drink prices but it is not always in a convenient spot and often hard to read.

At least if prices were posted like a formal Drinks Menu, some price competition may lead to lower cost pints. It is no fun to walk into a busy pub and yell at the bartender to ask about pricing before you order. That is what leads to surprises (good and bad) as to the price of your pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Theres a cluster of pubs in Temple Bar charging high prices for drink. This is news to nobody, its in every guide book about Dublin going.
    It may be common knowledge that Temple Bar is expensive, but I never knew it was €7.15 for a Coors kind of expensive. And not everybody is outraged - some, like myself, just find it amusing.

Ah thats what you call it. Its just stating the obvious.

Avoid temple bar for the most part and the "swankier" south dublin joints and hotels if you're price sensitive.

You'd probably be better off drinking listermint anyway, it'd be cheaper.

Sorry lads but not everyone in the world is as informed as you too.

If only they were, we would have no point in discussions boards would we.

"less discussion"

"more"

"em something else"

woooooo

Sorry lads but not everyone in the world is as informed as you too.

If only they were, we would have no point in discussions boards would we.

"less discussion"

"more"

"em something else"

woooooo

In Germany you'd be charged with inefficient use of data and regurgitation of fact. And sentenced to 4 years of hard grammar and prose until you learned your lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Half-Way House Navan Road

4.80 for Guninness
    5.30 for a bottle of Budweiser!:eek:

Robbing B*stards!

First and last time I'll be drinking there!

• Advertisement

2ndcoming wrote: »
    That's the problem with places like Fitzsimon's (and several others in Temple Bar)... they don't care that you'll never come back.

That place is no-one's local, they're in the business of fleecing tourists and if you are a local you really should know better than to be going in there tbh! Porterhouse across the road or the Czech Inn or Turk's Head around the corner would have been a lot more reasonable.
    We actually said "feck it, we'll just go here" as we were walking back from the Turks Head... who's queues went down the road and around the corner! I've never seen more than a 5 person queue outside there.

I hadn't been in Fitzsimon's for years before last night. Like I said, they just got me absolute wrong place, wrong time - girl freezing cold, in heels in Templebar (ask about heels and cobblestone, not fecked going back through it - basically snails start asking you to hurry up), and all eager about finding somewhere with a dancefloor. My patience was about as thin a tracing paper by the time we walked by their door and saw a queue of 3-4 people.

It is interesting though, because if the drinks had been just a little more reasonable priced we would have been back up another 2-3 times in the night and they would have got a lot more from us in total.

Advertisement