Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most expensive pint in Dublin at the moment?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Lucena wrote: »
    What's a jambon?
    Mush of cheese-sauce type stuff and some bacon bits inside a pastry. Fits in nicely with the sausage roll in so much that I typically wouldn't touch either, but they and a bottle of orange juice or Lucozade work magical wonders when you're slightly hanging and on a rush to work:

http://www.cuisinedefrance.ie/res/?s=amFtLnBuZ3xncmlkM3gyLm5vcm1hbHxpbWFnZXxpbWFnZQ%3D%3D&ext=.png

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

In Germany you'd be charged with inefficient use of data and regurgitation of fact. And sentenced to 4 years of hard grammar and prose until you learned your lesson.

In germany, they allow free discussion void of derision for other peoples opinions.

Discussions boards ftw

Back on topic..

Thanks to all the contributors to the thread. Im sure it has helped at least 1 other person make an informed decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

listermint wrote: »

Thanks to all the contributors to the thread. Im sure it has helped at least 1 other person make an informed decision.

Yup, I know that I'll never pay 3.50 (:eek:) for a jambon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I cant see why the prices are not on top of the tap so then everybody can see what they are paying and then have a big price list on the fridge for bottles. Perhaps a menu at the bar with all the prices. It all seems so sneaky and underhand, especially raising prices after certain times. Vintners association are trying to get people to go to pubs but the crux of the problem is that people feel the are being rode in some places, an rightly so.

Its easy to say just don't drink there or walk out but if you are with a group or the quiet type, you generally just have to suck it up and pay. There is no point in getting annoyed with the bar staff or door staff as this is a management issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

The title breathes pretentiousness, and our incessant Irish attitude to bemoan everything. Why not spin a positive and post bargains?

What on Earth is pretentious about the thread title?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Dufflecoatsunri

€7.15 a pint in The Temple Bar compared with €3.40 in O'Reilly's @ Tara Street......pretty remarkable difference for a pub thats only 5 mins down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

€7.15 a pint in The Temple Bar compared with €3.40 in O'Reilly's @ Tara Street......pretty remarkable difference for a pub thats only 5 mins down the road.

I suppose it's a matter of advertising and local knowledge. I don't drink in town very often but I know if I'm looking for a pub midweek with a bit of atmosphere and craic that you'll get that in the pubs around Temple Bar even if the prices are a bit steep. I've never heard of O'Reillys on Tara Street and don't drink around there often enough to find out where the good pubs are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

I suppose it's a matter of advertising and local knowledge. I don't drink in town very often but I know if I'm looking for a pub midweek with a bit of atmosphere and craic that you'll get that in the pubs around Temple Bar even if the prices are a bit steep. I've never heard of O'Reillys on Tara Street and don't drink around there often enough to find out where the good pubs are.
    It's usually fairly busy, good craic like, decent music, and pints have gone up only 10c to €3.50.
    Wherever I go for a midweek drink, that's my spot.

I dont think anyone in the country though would have expected to pay 7:15 for a pint of lager, local knowledge or otherwise.

Seems some temple bar outlets have complete run a muck since the budget game out.

I mean 7:15! where are we hong kong ? Was there anywhere charging that for lager slop during the boomery times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

That receipt made the independent. What's great job read boards and then pass it off as investigative journalism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

That's like Zurich prices.

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    That receipt made the independent. What's great job read boards and then pass it off as investigative journalism.

It was actually posted on twitter and picked up my numerous news websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I dont think anyone in the country though would have expected to pay 7:15 for a pint of lager, local knowledge or otherwise.

Seems some temple bar outlets have complete run a muck since the budget game out.

I mean 7:15! where are we hong kong ? Was there anywhere charging that for lager slop during the boomery times.

I was in The Temple Bar late on Saturday night and it wasn't anything like that much for a pint. We did get charged €30 for a double vodka, a double rum and a coke but that's par for the course sadly and I knew it wouldn't be cheap when I ordered.

EDIT - unless that €7.15 is on the receipt that was put on here. I can't view that currently. But again, it wasn't even close to that price on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Dufflecoatsunri

It wasnt my receipt that made the Independent but funny, someone had the same idea as me on the night taking a photo. Attached for anyone who is finding it hard to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

More than double the price of a pint in O'Reilly's under Tara St. Mental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Uaru

O'Rreilly's might be cheap but they also have the worst pint of guinness I've ever had in Dublin. They also have a shocking selection if you want to drink ale. You couldn't pay me to drink there.

It's cheap but it's a hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭cson

Again, why are we surprised at the prices in Temple Bar?

Equivalent areas in London/Paris/New York would be more.

It's not as if we're stuck for choice in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Billy86 wrote: »
    Not a pint, but I was out on Thursday with a girl, and with the out-f***ing-rageous queues everywhere we settled on Fitzsimons because there was none (still packed though), we were right by it, and she was freezing. We were in that nasty/sleepy sobering-back-up phase so I figured I'd get us a double vodka & red bull each to save waiting at the bar again and to wake us back up (usually can't stand that combo mind).

Well.......

€37.60.

For two double vodka/red bulls. Almost €20 each. I nearly fell over when the barman said it

That's Temple Bar for yea as someone who is fond of a vodka and red bull myself after a few pints remember going into the VAT House one night asking for two vodka red bull and it came in at 17.50 I think and that's exactly why I hate Temple Bar and generally refuse to drink anywhere near there are much better places to be drinking either way.

For us locals that's fine but the government should be trying to do something about it most tourists end up there and get fleeced which is not exactly going to encourage them to come back and part with there money again.

cson wrote: »
    Again, why are we surprised at the prices in Temple Bar?

Equivalent areas in London/Paris/New York would be more.

It's not as if we're stuck for choice in Dublin.
    Times Square is so much cheaper it's not even funny, actually. It's one of the cheapest places to drink that I've ever been to in the 'western world'.

In Sydney, The Rocks, Opera House and Darling Harbour areas are also cheaper than here, at about $6-9 (keep in mind that min wage on a 'backpacker' visa is around $22) and a lot of nice places to $3 drink nights for certain beers, wines and spirits -- a good steak dinner for $10 is pretty standard there too.

In Alexanderplatz in Berlin which would strike me as their answer to Templebar, I don't recall ever paying over €5 for a pint, and have paid well under €3 in the general area too.

Can't speak of London or Paris off hand.

Added to that, all of those cities offer far more pull factors to potential tourists beyond "come here and get pissed". Not saying it's all we have, but I figure Dublin and booze is viewed kind of like Amsterdam and weed is by many.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Upper-prices in London are a lot more than Dublin. Dublin's problem isn't a tiny handful of pubs selling at high prices it's the complete absense of pubs selling at low prices.

• Advertisement

Roll on Wetherspoons.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

Uaru wrote: »
    O'Rreilly's might be cheap but they also have the worst pint of guinness I've ever had in Dublin. They also have a shocking selection if you want to drink ale. You couldn't pay me to drink there.

It's cheap but it's a hole.

Never found the Guinness there massively worse than other places. It's not really a hole, it's alright. Selection isn't great fair enough.

No-ones offering to pay you to drink there luckily.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Upper-prices in London are a lot more than Dublin. Dublin's problem isn't a tiny handful of pubs selling at high prices it's the complete absense of pubs selling at low prices.
    Well I haven't been drinking in any of the touristy spots there as best I remember, but I did take a quick look into Google.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/money/personal-finance/average-prices-pint-beer-across-2234409
    Average in London = 3.60 (or €4.25)

Now I am sure you could find places where you would spend more per drink, but those places tend to return that in terms of 'ambiance' (e.g. pretentious wan kiness that let's you know you will want to have a LOT of money with you before you step in the door). Outside of the Morgan (gick!) there's nowhere really like that in Templebar I can think of - they're just pubs. They market to your average joe, not your multi-millionaire (or wannabe multi-millionaire).

Also, those really pretentious places abroad tend to have websites with a full drinks list, prices included - more or less all the rip off places in Templebar avoid this, having run a quick check. Gogarty's website won't give me the price of a pint, the Morgan website won't give me the price of anything, the Temple Bar website will show me everything just not how much any of it costs, also nothing on show from Fitzsimons. They are all more than happy to provide their full food menus, prices included though.

It's just all very deceptive, really.

EDIT: Gogarty's is actually claiming €5-7 for cocktails, and a few whiskey brands for €6 and less. Given that they are charging well north of €7 for a pint, I have to consider myself more than a little sceptical about that...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

I think the living room has screens above and to the side of the bar with scrolling prices lists. Fair play, more places should be doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mickaa

Got a very small glass of Wine in Dublin Airport for 7.40 Beat that

Slunk wrote: »
    I think the living room has screens above and to the side of the bar with scrolling prices lists. Fair play, more places should be doing this.

It also does great deals on pitchers. You can drink certain craft beers there on tap cheaper than from off licences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭byrner88

not me but i seen this on Facebook earlier

IPFowJR.jpg?1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Scumbags have no idea the damage they're doing to our tourism industry...milk them like a bunch of sheep "ah sure they wont be back"....fukcin gombeeens,this isnt Las Vegas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

The receipt pic is going viral, facebook, thejournal.ie, dailyedge.ie etc

Did someone here actually take the pic?

I want a job where I just regurgitate boards threads and get paid for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Read about this earlier, what a joke. I'm in lanzarote over looking the harbour, where a large draught san miguel costs €1.50, an Irish breakfast with orange juice or tea/ coffee, €2.50!!!

Advertisement