Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most expensive pint in Dublin at the moment?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Read about this earlier, what a joke. I'm in lanzarote over looking the harbour, where a large draught san miguel costs €1.50, an Irish breakfast with orange juice or tea/ coffee, €2.50!!!
    You should be paid to drink San Miguel....

Canaries are tax free, you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

byrner88 wrote: »
    not me but i seen this on Facebook earlier

IPFowJR.jpg?1

Now how about the price of a Pint Bottle of Bulmers at the same time of night. Wonder would it pass the €8 mark.
    I really did not think many places went much higher than €6, which I think is pretty steep.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Read about this earlier, what a joke. I'm in lanzarote over looking the harbour, where a large draught san miguel costs €1.50, an Irish breakfast with orange juice or tea/ coffee, €2.50!!!

El Ancla or La Lonja i bet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

What's the Spanish minimum / average wage? Also, I bet the bar is not being fleeced with staff costs, water charges, VAT, licence fee for using pavement, etc. Not condoning the prices - they are crazy and I'd never pay them here - but anywhere in a tourist trap like Temple Bar you're going to get fleeced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

byrner88 wrote: »
    not me but i seen this on Facebook earlier

IPFowJR.jpg?1

The clue is in the bottom 2 lines of the receipt, there's live music with no cover charge. I know The Mezz had the same policy when I used to go there a few years ago. No cover charge equals more expensive booze. Can't see what all the fuss is about it's your choice to go in, and the prices, by law, have to be stated outside the bar. Forewarned is forearmed, as nobody says anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Next time I'm drinking in town I'm going to go to Gogartys and order a massive round of pints just so I can tell them to fu*k off when they tell me how much.

That should be illegal. Especially since it's clearly targeting tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The clue is in the bottom 2 lines of the receipt, there's live music with no cover charge. I know The Mezz had the same policy when I used to go there a few years ago. No cover charge equals more expensive booze. Can't see what all the fuss is about it's your choice to go in, and the prices, by law, have to be stated outside the bar. Forewarned is forearmed, as nobody says anymore.

Thats complete bollix im afraid.

There are bars within its radius of 50 meters that have no cover charge and dont charge those sort of prices. Complete horsecrap, these operators are literally doing irreparable damage to tourist perception. And no i dont buy the line 'sure if tourists pay it let them go there'.

Its money grabbing greed and sure fire reasons for people not to come back to dublin again.

Which is why you hear "it was good but very expensive i dont think il be back"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Anyone who walks through the door at Gogartys or The Temple Bar knows what to expect. Tourists research these things. They still go there for the music and the craic. This is nowhere near the issue that some of you are making it.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Anyone who walks through the door at Gogartys or The Temple Bar knows what to expect. Tourists research these things. They still go there for the music and the craic. This is nowhere near the issue that some of you are making it.

I wasnt aware you spoke for all visitors to our shores.

And it is the issue, this story has made international news.

listermint wrote: »
    Thats complete bollix im afraid.

There are bars within its radius of 50 meters that have no cover charge and dont charge those sort of prices. Complete horsecrap, these operators are literally doing irreparable damage to tourist perception. And no i dont buy the line 'sure if tourists pay it let them go there'.

Its money grabbing greed and sure fire reasons for people not to come back to dublin again.

This just isn't true though. By the looks of things most tourists in there are loving every second of it and I'm sure they're all well aware that they can save a couple of quid by going somewhere less good.

It's the same everywhere. Leicester Square, New York, Las Vegas.... you could have the same cocktail in Harrah's for half the price of one a few yards away at Bellagio. But people go to Bellagio. And it is an informed choice.

• Advertisement

I wasnt aware you spoke for all visitors to our shores.

And it is the issue, this story has made international news.

So tourists don't research things? Ok....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Yeah I dont see the issue, its temple bar, it comes with its own issues, you're a fool to go in there for a night of drinking in the first place, if the high prices dont put you off, the roving herds of hen parties should

This just isn't true though. By the looks of things most tourists in there are loving every second of it and I'm sure they're all well aware that they can save a couple of quid by going somewhere less good.

It's the same everywhere. Leicester Square, New York, Las Vegas.... you could have the same cocktail in Harrah's for half the price of one a few yards away at Bellagio. But people go to Bellagio. And it is an informed choice.

Looks of what,

Go through Trip advisor, all you see is complaints about prices on it from everyone. (prior to this ridiculous +7 Euro pint issue)

That is the image this venue is giving of our city, and that is the image that sticks. Im not sure how anyone could thing this is actually a good thing. Do you work / own it ?

Looks of what,

Go through Trip advisor, all you see is complaints about prices on it from everyone. (prior to this ridiculous +7 Euro pint issue)

That is the image this venue is giving of our city, and that is the image that sticks. Im not sure how anyone could thing this is actually a good thing. Do you work / own it ?

Again, if there needs to be pressure applied to get the 'expensive' label removed from Dublin's name as far as tourists are concerned then that pressure should be at the bottom end of the price bracket and not the top. There's are so, so many places in Europe where a drink can cost more than it does in Temple Bar but there are practically no places in Dublin where you can get a genuinely cheap pint.

No I don't work in it. I do choose to drink in it though and bring my friends there when I visit. Far better to have a night there than save €2 and take them somewhere worse.

Again, if there needs to be pressure applied to get the 'expensive' label removed from Dublin's name as far as tourists are concerned then that pressure should be at the bottom end of the price bracket and not the top. There's are so, so many places in Europe where a drink can cost more than it does in Temple Bar but there are practically no places in Dublin where you can get a genuinely cheap pint.

That is a complete untruth as this thread has demonstrated

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

You can get a cheap pint in o'reillys down by the financial centre. 3.20 last time I was there. Not sure what it is now.

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    You can get a cheap pint in o'reillys down by the financial centre. 3.20 last time I was there. Not sure what it is now.

3.20 is NOT a cheap pint.

3:20 is not a cheap pint in a pub?

Im sorry but yes it is, in a capitol city.

3:20 is not a cheap pint in a pub?

Im sorry but yes it is, in a capitol city.

Wait until Wetherspoons are here.

And you are privy to their pricing model in Ireland are you ?

Im genuinely intrigued as to your insight on this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

If you think Wetherspoons are going to charge sub 3 euro you are mad. 4 euro is a cheap pint in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'd a feeling you were on a wind up earlier in the thread.. This confirms it.

drumswan wrote: »
    If you think Wetherspoons are going to charge sub 3 euro you are mad. 4 euro is a cheap pint in Dublin.

They will obviously have to come in with competitive prices, but yeah I would imagine you're right. As long as they stay below 5 I'll be happy. Will force the rest of them to lower theirs.

<snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Uaru

If Wetherspoons can give me a decent pint of ale for less than €4 I will be a happy man.

Nowhere is getting anywhere near that price apart from the pitcher deal in the Living Room and the odd pub that have deals midweek.

Uaru wrote: »
    If Wetherspoons can give me a decent pint of ale for less than €4 I will be a happy man.

Nowhere is getting anywhere near that price apart from the pitcher deal in the Living Room and the odd pub that have deals midweek.

JW Sweetmans is. Once again.

Havent been here since it was messer's maybe plus 4 years back.

Whats it like now ?

Havent been here since it was messer's maybe plus 4 years back.

Whats it like now ?

Great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

When I go out in Dublin, I usually go to Dicey's. I was there on Paddy's day this year and it was 3.50 all day for Paulaner. Wasn't bad a bad pint either. Temple Bar is a known as a rip off , I don't know how ye haven't figured this out yet or why ye still go there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Uaru

I haven't been in there since it was Messers and I can't say I was impressed back then. I'll give it a another go though. Is it just their own beers that are cheep?

Advertisement