Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most expensive pint in Dublin at the moment?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

+ 1

Their own range is great. They have a pale ale, a red ale, a porter, a lager and a weiss beer.
    The pale ale is especially good.

And €4 any time of day or night all week.
    I was in there before it closed and was drinking their red ale for €4 a pint. Some guy comes in beside me at the bar and orders 3 pints of coors light at something like €5.50 each.
    It's weird, but it's like a person that goes to a fancy restaurant and orders egg and chips that are more expensive than the monkfish. Suppose some people just want what they're used to and don't want to try anything new.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Lux23 wrote: »
    I mean they give you feck all support, so what can they threaten a pub with?

Ever wonder why the Guinness tap is always at the end of the row?
    The rep comes in and demands things like having their beers moved to more prominent positions, having their advertising stuck up and having fridges rearranged. They may not bother with your boyfriend's pub (I dunno what size it is) but they definitely come round the bigger pubs and have a checklist of things they want to see. They then threaten to stop giving freebies e.g. free keg of Heino for the rugby final or free bands on Diageo Day. Have even heard of free kegs being offered if a publican gets rid of craft taps as well.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

If all you go to a pub to do is drink, then why not buy the nice beers you want from an off license and drink them at home? Why bother with a pub?
    Personally speaking, pretty much every beer I drink in the pub is one that isn't sold in the off licence.

To turn that question around: what logic is there in a pub selling beers that customers can buy cheaper at the off licence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

That must lower your possible drinking venues by a lot! What pubs do drinks that you can't get in the likes of The Beer Store or Redmonds?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Now how about the price of a Pint Bottle of Bulmers at the same time of night. Wonder would it pass the €8 mark.
    I have seen bulmers going for €8.60 in another thread.

A corona longneck was 6.70 (which works out at €11.53 a pint.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

reprazant wrote: »
    That must lower your possible drinking venues by a lot! What pubs do drinks that you can't get in the likes of The Beer Store or Redmonds?

There are plenty of seasonals, specials, cask beers, imports and other beers that are draught only in Dublins craft beer pubs. I dont order beers that are available by the bottle cheaper elsewhere either.

Really? The vast majority of beers in any of the craft pubs can be gotten in those two off licences I mentioned. From my experience, the winter specials are generally the only ones you can't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Really? The vast majority of beers in any of the craft pubs can be gotten in those two off licences I mentioned. From my experience, the winter specials are generally the only ones you can't.

Certainly the vast majority can be gotten in Redmonds etc, though there are usually several you cant. Those are the ones I drink and most of the reason I go to a given pub in the first place. I'll look to see whats pouring and head along.

The vast majority of beers in any of the craft pubs can be gotten in those two off licences I mentioned. From my experience, the winter specials are generally the only ones you can't.
    My normal pint is Metalman Pale Ale. I've been drinking a bit of Brú Rua too. I called in to Against the Grain on Saturday and had an Imperial Brown Ale. My missus had a taste of both the Galway Bay and Trouble pumpkin beers and opted for the Galway Bay one. The weekend before, I was drinking in JW Sweetmans, alternating between the Porter and Pale Ale.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

irish_goat wrote: »
    Ever wonder why the Guinness tap is always at the end of the row?
    The rep comes in and demands things like having their beers moved to more prominent positions, having their advertising stuck up and having fridges rearranged. They may not bother with your boyfriend's pub (I dunno what size it is) but they definitely come round the bigger pubs and have a checklist of things they want to see. They then threaten to stop giving freebies e.g. free keg of Heino for the rugby final or free bands on Diageo Day. Have even heard of free kegs being offered if a publican gets rid of craft taps as well.

Oh we definitely are too small for them to be bothered, they have the opposite attitude to us. I doubt they give anyone a free keg of Heino by the way.

• Advertisement

Oh we definitely are too small for them to be bothered, they have the opposite attitude to us. I doubt they give anyone a free keg of Heino by the way.

We got a free keg every Heineken cup final day and the odd free one here and there depending on how many we'd sold.

One week we hadn't ordered any at all and they showed up to take the empties and gave us a free one. I think they might have been worried we would stop selling it and get in more craft (which we did :P ).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

We got a free keg every Heineken cup final day and the odd free one here and there depending on how many we'd sold.

One week we hadn't ordered any at all and they showed up to take the empties and gave us a free one. I think they might have been worried we would stop selling it and get in more craft (which we did :P ).

I think she meant that she doubts Diageo will be giving you free kegs of Heiniken ;)

Oh right. :pac:

My point was that all big breweries give out freebies if the pub is willing to play ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭cson

I know quite a bit about running a pub, as my partner owns one. I have heard that whispered before, but there's only one way they could interfere with a pubs taps - they may well have supplied the multi that cools the beer. I mean they give you feck all support, so what can they threaten a pub with?

Vested interest in Wetherspoons not coming to town then.
    listermint wrote: »
    Thats total amaze balls because manchester has a population of 2.5 million or so. That really doesnt sound like Ireland.

And yes for Tesco Ireland is a very significant part of their revenue stream (very significant) They roll their figures into the UK ones to cost cut from an audit and financial perspective not to mention HR. Its all part of cost cutting.

If you think Ireland is a drop in the ocean to tesco it shows your naivety.

Never said that; but rightly or wrongly we're seen as an extension of the UK by the major retailers from there. we're about 8% of the total GB/ROI population and are viewed accordingly. We're not as significant as people think. We are however quite a profitable region, Tesco in particular know this well.

cson wrote: »

Other than thinking that they may not be selling pints for under 3 and that they need their pubs to be vaguely comfortable, what Lux23 said for you to make that snide remark?

Mr.S wrote: »
    The only reasons these chancers are charging 5/6/7 for a pint is because people are lazy and willing to pay!
    They also take advantage of the weird tradition that goes on in pubs, i.e. the refusal to ask the price of a pint before paying. In many threads you will see people moaning about paying over the odds for a pint, if you ask them if they asked the price beforehand they invariably say no, and make out like you would be a weirdo for asking -while these same people probably would find out the price of any other purchase they are making for €5-€8 price range. With the pint its even worse, as it is poured, so not as easily returned to the seller to be "put back on the shelf", some feel obliged to take it, like if you ordered a specific sandwich in a deli.

That price list law was a joke, they only have to list 1 stout and 1 lager on it.

The other thing they take advantage of is that for some reason people seem more concerned about appearing stingey/scabby/thrifty in a pub. I have always maintained that beamish would sell more if they upped the price, as there is definitely a stigma amongst people since its viewed as a "cheap drink". Some people might have a lower opinion of a person buying a cheap drink of similar quality, than an overpriced drink of similar quality. Some refuse to even try the cheaper tuborg/fosters/tennants options in pubs, but have no problem buying cheaper cans in an offie, or whatever is on offer, people seem more brand loyal in the pub for some reason.

Not from Diageo though. :)

cson wrote: »

l.

Not at all, they would make it difficult for the likes of the bigger chain pubs, but my partner's bar is a local pub and his positioning is more about getting to know his customers, more like a country pub. People come to it for different reasons and price is just a small part, we aren't as cheap as some of the oul lad pubs nearby.

I will definitely check out Wetherspoons when they open, but for me price isn't the deciding factor when it comes to pubs. Comfort, atmosphere and friendly staff would come before it and it's for that reason that I don't go to the likes of O'Reillys and Diceys all that often. Plus I hope they aren't full of poker machines and TV screens, that's horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

there is a pic floating around Facebook at the moment of a receipt for two pints of coors costing €14.30 from gogartys dated within the last couple of weeks that's 7.15 per feckin pint!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

there is a pic floating around Facebook at the moment of a receipt for two pints of coors costing €14.30 from gogartys dated within the last couple of weeks that's 7.15 per feckin pint!

Have you read this thread at all? Even the last 5 pages?

• Advertisement

This was after a certain hour, depending on how much you are going to drink this can be the cheaper option for a late night drink -i.e. one alternative is paying into a night club.

This is from last year they reckoned it costed €430 to get a 1 hour extension

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/cost-of-late-bar-licences-killing-city-at-night-193516.html

So do not just blame the pubs, blame the government for clinging to the idea that we should have limited opening times in pubs. The whole idea of opening hours dates back to world war 1, where they wanted employees to be fit & able to manufacture things for the war effort. Apparently the lads in the dail think the war is still on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

Not at all, they would make it difficult for the likes of the bigger chain pubs, but my partner's bar is a local pub and his positioning is more about getting to know his customers, more like a country pub. People come to it for different reasons and price is just a small part, we aren't as cheap as some of the oul lad pubs nearby.

I will definitely check out Wetherspoons when they open, but for me price isn't the deciding factor when it comes to pubs. Comfort, atmosphere and friendly staff would come before it and it's for that reason that I don't go to the likes of O'Reillys and Diceys all that often. Plus I hope they aren't full of poker machines and TV screens, that's horrible.

I agree, Wetherspoons tend to aim for the town/city centres, catering for young people that want cheap pints. I won't say it hasn't had an effect in England, but there are still tonnes of nice, intimate, quiet pubs over there for those that want them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Birneybau wrote: »
    Have you read this thread at all? Even the last 5 pages?

its quite obvious i didn't

rubadub wrote: »
    The whole idea of opening hours dates back to world war 1, where they wanted employees to be fit & able to manufacture things for the war effort.
    It's not often we catch you promulgating a barroom myth about drink, rubadub :DOpening hours: the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 ChuchuBear

gogartys must be right up there.

ChuchuBear wrote: »
    gogartys must be right up there.

I don't think even the Four Seasons charge that much for a pint of lager.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Not in the least bit surprised by those disgusting prices charged by Oliver St John Gogarty in Temple Bar - tourist trap fleecing its its most cynical.

There should be a law barring pubs from upping their drink prices after a certain hour.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    There should be a law barring pubs from upping their drink prices after a certain hour.
    Personally I'm quite happy to have the night people subsidise my afternoon pints. Thanks night people!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Around 4 years ago in my last job I used to go to the Beggars Bush every Friday for lunch. A pint of Guinness only cost €3.30. One night I had the misfortune to go to The Temple Bar Pub as I was meeting friends in there. I ordered a Guinness and when I went to pay was shocked to have to pay €5.50. I told the bar man why where they €2.20 more than a pub in Ballsbridge. He did not believe me and asked me which pub. I said The Beggars Bush AKA Ryans. I told him I will not be back if they continue ripping people off with their beer prices. I have not been back since.

Advertisement