Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most expensive pint in Dublin at the moment?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

rubadub wrote: »
    I have seen bulmers going for €8.60 in another thread.

A corona longneck was 6.70 (which works out at €11.53 a pint.)

Baby Jesus wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

I pay 3.90 for Carlsberg in rural South Wexford and 3.75 for Tuborg in Tallaght not bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Rod Serling

Price of a pint in the 02 is sickening. Harrys Bar across from it is great, but you can't leave the 02 once you've been admitted so you'll have to go there before/after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Price of a pint in the 02 is sickening. Harrys Bar across from it is great, but you can't leave the 02 once you've been admitted so you'll have to go there before/after.

Prices at venues are always expensive, same with Croker and the Aviva

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Mr Simpson wrote: »
    Prices at venues are always expensive, same with Croker and the Aviva

And they serve a 400ml 'pint'. So a €5.50 Guinness (I paid this at the 02 on Saturday evening) works out at €7.81 a pint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    And they serve a 400ml 'pint'. So a €5.50 Guinness (I paid this at the 02 on Saturday evening) works out at €7.81 a pint.

Is this not illegal? Do people not tell them to go and shove their effin' "pint"?! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

its only illegal if they sell it as a pint. They prob dont do so I imagine

its only illegal if they sell it as a pint. They prob dont do so I imagine

So what happens when someone says 'Pint of Guinness, please'?

Lucena wrote: »
    So what happens when someone says 'Pint of Guinness, please'?

Presume they give you as 400ml plastic glass. I can't remember whether I asked for a 'pint of Guinness' or just "a Guinness". They don't do "1/2 pints" (or 200ml) draught drinks either, which is a pain. I'm not complaining about the price - you'll always get fleeced in these places - merely pointing out that a €5.50 "pint" works out closer to €8.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The price of pints is transparent enough, you can use your discretion about where you go, but the price of long-necks is scandalous. I know people buy them for convenience, safety, quality etc but that cant justify the cost. My OH is a Bulmers drinker, she asks me to buy long-necks for her so "she wont drink too much too fast." I say "you're having a pint bottle for the same price love, be an adult and restrain yourself".... ;)

• Advertisement

Presume they give you as 400ml plastic glass. I can't remember whether I asked for a 'pint of Guinness' or just "a Guinness". They don't do "1/2 pints" (or 200ml) draught drinks either, which is a pain. I'm not complaining about the price - you'll always get fleeced in these places - merely pointing out that a €5.50 "pint" works out closer to €8.

I was talking to a Hungarian guy recently, and he said that in Hungary, in a lot of places the 0.5 litres are being gradually replaced by 0.4 litres, and roughly at the same price!

I said to him that while Irish people tend to take a lot of stuff lying down, if any tried to reduce the size of drinks in Ireland, there’d be blood in the streets.
    Looks like I might be wrong. Hopefully this isn’t the thin end of the wedge.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I was talking to a Hungarian guy recently, and he said that in Hungary, in a lot of places the 0.5 litres are being gradually replaced by 0.4 litres, and roughly at the same price!

I said to him that while Irish people tend to take a lot of stuff lying down, if any tried to reduce the size of drinks in Ireland, there’d be blood in the streets.

It's increasingly common throughout the World. Irish people flock to Australia and America and neither of those places tend to do proper-sized pints. Stupid 16oz glasses!

Whatever else you might say about us Brits we make it illegal to sell a pint that isn't a pint.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pint_glass#United_Kingdom_law

Beefy78 wrote: »
    It's increasingly common throughout the World. Irish people flock to Australia and America and neither of those places tend to do proper-sized pints. Stupid 16oz glasses!

Whatever else you might say about us Brits we make it illegal to sell a pint that isn't a pint.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pint_glass#United_Kingdom_law

Nah, in spite of a lot of the boll0cks spouted in Ireland about 'The Brits', we love you guys.

Really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭rockbeast

Rockbeast recently moved onto Bolton Street for college (not bolton street). Found a great pub called the kings inn. a great mix of people from locals to college heads to kings inn heads. 5 drink in bottles of bavaria for a €10...great buzz if you have the banter

there are bargains around

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

rockbeast wrote: »
    Rockbeast recently moved onto Bolton Street for college (not bolton street). Found a great pub called the kings inn. a great mix of people from locals to college heads to kings inn heads. 5 drink in bottles of bavaria for a €10...great buzz if you have the banter

Please stop telling people about the King's Inn... don't want to ruin it :pac:

Next time you're at the O2, Croker, Aviva or a big gig, buy a beer and have a look at your glass - I bet it will be a 400ml plastic glass. I blame the troika, Joe.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Next time you're at the O2, Croker, Aviva or a big gig, buy a beer and have a look at your glass - I bet it will be a 400ml plastic glass. I blame the troika, Joe.:pac:

Not in Croker ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Mr.S wrote: »
    Was in Bruxelles last night off Grafton Street, 3 pints, Stella, Bud & Guinness which came to around €18 :eek:

Ok so its just off Grafton Street but its not exactly a tourist trap + it was 6pm on a Wednesday. Madness.

Try the downstairs rock bar...it's only 4 euro a pint and they have deals on shorts&mixers.

Upstairs is a posers' kip.

I knew Bruxelles wasn't cheap but never paid that much. Crikey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

Downstairs in the rock bar is where the good deals are,€4.20 pints before midnight plus usually a spirit + dash special for €4.50.Upstairs is for tourists,hence the tourist prices.Far quicker to get served downstairs too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

chopper6 wrote: »
    Try the downstairs rock bar...it's only 4 euro a pint and they have deals on shorts&mixers.

Upstairs is a posers' kip.

Brusells is for posers these days :eek:... jasus I am showing my age

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭sporina

is knacker drinking on the up in the city?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

ronan45 wrote: »
    Brusells is for posers these days :eek:... jasus I am showing my age

Yeah...you see z-listers and assorted numpties in the upstairs part,paying through the snout for thier booze.

Upstairs has usually seemed to be locals when I've been there. I know quite a few Dubliners who class that as a favoured pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭rockbeast

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Upstairs has usually seemed to be locals when I've been there. I know quite a few Dubliners who class that as a favoured pub.

Definitely one of the most overrated bars in Dublin.

Save for the odd blazing hot summer's day when you get a seat outside, it's crap. also, the bartenders are slower than glaciers.

I've had a couple of decent nights in there and it's somewhere where you know that there will be a few people out most nights of the week but yeah it isn't top of my list of City Centre venues.

Doesn't take card either, which is ridiculous at this stage.

was in bruxelles on fri night - down stairs - smashing place - got change from a tenner for 2 pints…

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

rockbeast wrote: »
    Definitely one of the most overrated bars in Dublin.

Save for the odd blazing hot summer's day when you get a seat outside, it's crap. also, the bartenders are slower than glaciers.

Couldn't disagree more. Downstairs is always worth a visit for a pint or 2.
    LAst time I was in the heavy metal section there was a dj, was tempted to go up and ask him for some status quo

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

€6 for a pint of sh1t in Lansdowne for the FAI Cup Final!

• Advertisement

€6.50 for a pint of carlsberg in the o2 sat night..

Advertisement