Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volunteer/IRA uniform identification sought.

Options
  • 07-07-2011 2:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Attached is a photo of my grandfather (on the left) from a book,'Killoe, History of a County Longford Parish' by Fr. Owen Devaney. He was the Adjutant/Intelligence Officer of the Longford Brigade during the War of Independence. I know absolutely nothing about uniforms and am wondering if anyone can identify the uniform from the three stripes on the sleeve and two that appear on the hat.
    Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
    Many thanks in advance,
    M J Heslin.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I am sure there are some ex-Irish Army here who can clarify but maybe this will help.

These are from the Osprey book 'Osprey - Warrior 080 - G.White - Irish Volunteer Soldier 1913-23'

166129.jpg

166130.jpg

166131.jpg

You might also get more information from the Irish Army Military Archives on your grandfathers records.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

166132.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 MichaelHeslin

Thank you so much for that Morlar. It appears that it is a volunteers uniform. Shame I don't know the colour of the cuff bands. The two bands on the cap throw me as well. His uniform looks pretty much like the one on the guy to the right in your group photo. I look forward to any other comments.
    Thanks folks.
    :-)

Looks like we were typing at the same time! The Vice Commandant bands are looking promising!

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HerrScheisse

I was wondering if there are any service records for the War of Independance? Obviously it was a clandestine army, but post conflict, many received awards and pensions. is it possible there are any archives to check membership or activities of persons during this period?

• Advertisement

I was wondering if there are any service records for the War of Independance? Obviously it was a clandestine army, but post conflict, many received awards and pensions. is it possible there are any archives to check membership or activities of persons during this period?

I have written asking for a copy of his pension application as I have been told that they contain much information about the applicant's involvement during that period. I also have a copy of his witness statement as well as those of others in the Longford Brigade. They are totally engrossing reading! They are available from the BMH: http://www.military.ie/info-centre/military-archives I don't have any conclusive info on the uniform tho'. :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HerrScheisse

Thanks for that info Michael! Do you know if the archives are extensive of that period? You could quite easily retrieve details from your relative through this source?

Thanks for that info Michael! Do you know if the archives are extensive of that period? You could quite easily retrieve details from your relative through this source?

I am gradually working my way through the statements of the Longford Brigade (about 20 statements ultimately). They cover quite a long period - Gen Sean MacEoin's covers from his childhood to his membership of Dáil Éireann. My grandad's covers up to the Truce. Going through different statements helps to confirm what my grandad said in his.

Advertisement