Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Film Fleadh 2011

Options
  • 07-07-2011 2:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

I went to see Keith Allen's Unlawful Killing today at the Fleadh...I was a bit disappointed to be honest, considering the seriousness of the subject matter I thought it could have been dealt with in a more serious manner, and there was no need for Keith Allen to feature in it. He had enough material to make a very powerful documentary but I don't think he did it justice.

Were any boardsies at it? If so what did you think?
    And what other films did you go to see? What were they like?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Galwayps

I went to see The Guard last night at the Town Hall which was great and I think most people in Galway will enjoy just for the location spotting.
    Also went to see chasing madoff in the cinemobile which I thought was really good.
    Festival over too quick though

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭MeerKat17

Galwayps wrote: »
    I went to see The Guard last night at the Town Hall which was great and I think most people in Galway will enjoy just for the location spotting.
    Also went to see chasing madoff in the cinemobile which I thought was really good.
    Festival over too quick though

I'm jealous, I really wanted to see the Guard but it was all sold out! Did you go to the Q&A after the film? Who attended?

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

I went to see this documentary: http://www.galwayfilmfleadh.com/programme.php?ct=new-german-cinema&cid=11&t=life-is-not-a-home-game&id=87

Very good it was, especially if you're a football fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm seeing The Troll Hunter Friday.

biko wrote: »

Oh my god that looks hilarious! I had to double check that it was actually a real film and that you weren't taking the p!ss trying to imply that I was a troll! *Paranoid!
    Excellent, I may have to attend that one myself! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Galwayps

MeerKat17 wrote: »
    I'm jealous, I really wanted to see the Guard but it was all sold out! Did you go to the Q&A after the film? Who attended?
    The director and Brendan Gleeson. Gleeson is a really nice guy and at the end drew peoples attention to the fact that one of those 4 girls who were killed in a road accident in ballindine had a sister working on the movie at the time and that we should keep them in our thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Buddly

Any recommendations for a film to see tonight/tomorrow evening? Trying to plan my intinerary! Half thinking of going to this:

http://www.galwayfilmfleadh.com/programme.php?ct=world-cinema&cid=1&t=road-to-nowhere&id=112

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Cathal01

I thought Unlawful Killing was unconvincing and didn't even attempt to answer all the questions it prosed. I don't think it's as important as Keith Allen would like it to be, and some of it was just complete nonsense such as the psychologist commenting that Prince Philip is a psychopath when he hasn't even treated him. It glossed over a lot of things and just felt cheap and sensationalised. Keith Allen is so anti-monarchy that it detracts from the documentary itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

Is this part of your training for being a Mod ?!?! :P

(Just couldn't resist - sorry ! :) )

The Troll Hunter sounds interesting.
    I'm hoping to see "The Guard" soon !

V

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭holly8

thought it was awful...anyone else see it?

• Advertisement

Cathal01 wrote: »
    I thought Unlawful Killing was unconvincing and didn't even attempt to answer all the questions it prosed. I don't think it's as important as Keith Allen would like it to be, and some of it was just complete nonsense such as the psychologist commenting that Prince Philip is a psychopath when he hasn't even treated him. It glossed over a lot of things and just felt cheap and sensationalised. Keith Allen is so anti-monarchy that it detracts from the documentary itself.

I completely agree! I didn't like the comic slant he had on the doc, there was nothing to laugh about the subject matter. also, some of the interview locations were bizarre considering the subject, a few seemed like a casual chat/banter down the pub!

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

I'm really looking forward to the Martin Sheen talk on Sunday and the film "Badlands". Martin Sheen is my hero!

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭loser2old4board

90 minutes of totally pointless gratuitous violence. Some of the audience were laughing out loud at the stupidity of some of the dialogue. Plot completely unbelievable. I probably should have known from the title but I thought if it was in the Film Fleadh it wouldn’t have been a gore fest. Maybe it had some artistic merit or deeper insight into the meaning of violence.If so, it was totally lost on me. 1 out of 10....Maybe!

I'm really looking forward to the Martin Sheen talk on Sunday and the film "Badlands". Martin Sheen is my hero!

Met him today and he is an absolute gent, signed my Blu Ray of Apocalypse Now as well as an art card of his character from the film. One of the nicest men I have ever had the pleasure to speak to.
    90 minutes of totally pointless gratuitous violence. Some of the audience were laughing out loud at the stupidity of some of the dialogue. Plot completely unbelievable. I probably should have known from the title but I thought if it was in the Film Fleadh it wouldn’t have been a gore fest. Maybe it had some artistic merit or deeper insight into the meaning of violence.If so, it was totally lost on me. 1 out of 10....Maybe!

What the hell did you expect from a film called Hobo With a Shotgun? Hell the poster makes it blatantly clear just what the film is about. It's 80 minutes of pure unadulterated sleaze and all the better for it. Hauer is fantastic in it, the score is brilliant and it manages to perfectly captured the mood and style of classic grind-house cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Hobo with a shotgun is shyte trying to stick to the coattails of Machete.
    It's a film? Phew.. :pac:

Advertisement