Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

KPMG Trainee

• 07-07-2011 3:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭

So...just got my letter this morning with the terms of my new job! :D
    Starting on the 19th September in the Galway office! Anyone else on here going to be in the Galway office, or see anything wrong with the terms? :p

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭Xxhaylsxx

Hey I got my letter too :) But Ill be working in the Dublin office in the IFSC. Audit, tax or advisory? I start on the 12th of September as I have no previous accounting experience Im very nervous.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ted2767

Xxhaylsxx wrote: »
    Hey I got my letter too :) But Ill be working in the Dublin office in the IFSC. Audit, tax or advisory? I start on the 12th of September as I have no previous accounting experience Im very nervous.

You got to start sometime!! No point in being nervous you applied for and signed up for this it's what you wanted so just enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Congrats!! I'm going into Audit!! Bit nervous but hopefully everything will be ok! My interviewer was xxx of the Galway office so at least I'll know him! He seems like a nice helpful sort of man anyway!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 reinald

Hi Guys,

Congrats on your placements in this tough jobs market.

I also recently applied to the KPMG programme and was just wondering what the procedure is this year, i.e. how many interviews and/or assessments you went through before placement?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

reinald wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I also recently applied to the KPMG programme and was just wondering what the procedure is this year, i.e. how many interviews and/or assessments you went through before placement?

Cheers

Hey!! Well if I recall correctly, after we filled in the applications and got offered an interview, it was like this. They brought us all to a hotel, and firstly gave us 45mins/an hour to do a written assessment, it's just writing answers for two questions, one focused on yourself and your skills, etc, the other one based around the company itself, what makes it stand out. I think mine was "Why do you think KPMG is consistently regarded as one of the best Graduate Employers?" or something along those lines!

Then you will be called for a 40 minute interview with a director or someone similar, I got the head of the Galway Audit division! Mine was reasonably informal and it actually passed very quickly, turned into more of a chat than anything!

Finally you will be interviewed by one more person, I think my interviewer was pretty high up in HR but can't exactly remember. They ask a few of the same questions and ask you about the answers you've written for the assessment!!

From my experience, you don't have too much to worry about, they're very friendly and easy to chat with!! Best of luck!!:D

• Advertisement

Hi Guys,

Cheers

I remember going through a similar process. Was called to the IFSC office in Dublin for interview. First I had a business exercise. I had to type out answers to two questions. One was based on why would I be suitable for the role the other a business related question which I couldnt do having no previous knowledge. Dont panic if you cant answer them I was not asked anything about them in the interviews.
    Next I had an interview with a HR manager I think. It lasted about an hour and was more like an informal chat. I was made feel very relaxed. After there was a second interview with a partner. I was scared about this one but again nothing to worry about. Just a quick chat picking up on a few comments you might have made in the first interview.
    I received my offer an hour later had just got in the door so they get back to you very quickly.
    Where have you applied to work? Good luck at interview :)

Hi Guys,

Cheers for the info.

I applied to Dublin and am currently going through the process. All going to plan so far, though my experience has been different to both of your examples.

Will keep you posted on how I get on.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 TK422

Hi Guys,

Cheers for the info.

I applied to Dublin and am currently going through the process. All going to plan so far, though my experience has been different to both of your examples.

Thanks again.

Hey, do you mind if I ask what service line you applied too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 tomocmaine

Hey all...totally new to posting on this site. Very interested to hear of peoples experiences with kpmg.
    Am an engineer myself with a few years work experience but the last while decided to take a look at changing career to accountancy. Saw these guys were looking for graduates so fired off an application, got called for interview 2 weeks ago. Process pretty quick and straight forward. I had interview with a manager and partner. Got grilled on why i want to change career and my work experience etc. No business exercises which was sweet. Went very well and got offer of a position on the day. Needless to say i was very happy with the result.
    Start 12th September aswell in the Dublin office. Have zero accountancy experience, not even for the leaving but reckon with a bit of hard work should be ok!! Looking forward to the social side of the programme aswell...

tomocmaine wrote: »
    Hey all...totally new to posting on this site. Very interested to hear of peoples experiences with kpmg.
    Am an engineer myself with a few years work experience but the last while decided to take a look at changing career to accountancy. Saw these guys were looking for graduates so fired off an application, got called for interview 2 weeks ago. Process pretty quick and straight forward. I had interview with a manager and partner. Got grilled on why i want to change career and my work experience etc. No business exercises which was sweet. Went very well and got offer of a position on the day. Needless to say i was very happy with the result.
    Start 12th September aswell in the Dublin office. Have zero accountancy experience, not even for the leaving but reckon with a bit of hard work should be ok!! Looking forward to the social side of the programme aswell...

Wouldn't worry about this at all. Having worked in architecture for a number of years a friend of mine now works as a trainee accountant with PwC and, while it is a challenge, they really like it. Congrats on the placement!

• Advertisement

Could anyone else share their recent experience with KPMG? I have an interview really soon and was just wondering the kind of questions asked, i.e. Commercial awareness questions, the types of competency based questions, etc. (if anyone has any examples that would be great) and anything else that would be helpful? Really appreciate it.

My first interview ever, pretty nervous and I'd really like the position.

Woo! Well done on the job! what area are you going into? stokes place office or ifsc. Im ifsc financial services audit. I have no previous accounting experience myself having studied maths and physics in college. Im sure it will be tougher on us at the start but will soon catch up. Hopefully! I have to do the extra week of accountancy basics too :D

Woo! Well done on the job! what area are you going into? stokes place office or ifsc. Im ifsc financial services audit. I have no previous accounting experience myself having studied maths and physics in college. Im sure it will be tougher on us at the start but will soon catch up. Hopefully! I have to do the extra week of accountancy basics too :D

Like yourself i'll be in Financial Services audit in IFSC...think that was the area they were hiring in recently. Think they underestimated the milkround for the amount of work they have coming in in that area...ah should be grand. Will have to work that little bit harder I guess seeing as won't have any exemptions. Been working myself for a few years so getting the head down to the books again will be a dose!! Starting that week earlier aswell so see you there!!...wonder how many from the non accountancy background will be starting.

Like yourself i'll be in Financial Services audit in IFSC...think that was the area they were hiring in recently. Think they underestimated the milkround for the amount of work they have coming in in that area...ah should be grand. Will have to work that little bit harder I guess seeing as won't have any exemptions. Been working myself for a few years so getting the head down to the books again will be a dose!! Starting that week earlier aswell so see you there!!...wonder how many from the non accountancy background will be starting.

O same area and all :) Do you have any idea when we go to college etc or where? How did you get on in the accounting fundamentals quiz? I thought it was alright. It will be hard juggling work and college and social life. Yeah I was wondering that too. I wonder what the percentage split would be like.

O same area and all :) Do you have any idea when we go to college etc or where? How did you get on in the accounting fundamentals quiz? I thought it was alright. It will be hard juggling work and college and social life. Yeah I was wondering that too. I wonder what the percentage split would be like.

Thats cool we in the same area. At last there will be the two of us in the same boat so.
    Not too sure of the when...think they going to send back a timetable once they register us with the CAI. Imagine could be a couple of week nights and weekends. Think that accounting fundamentals on at their other place, the Stokes Place or whatever it called and think I heard that our lectures may be on at croke park but may be wrong. Haven't really thought too much about it, just trying to enjoy the few weeks hols before the slog begins.
    As for that little quiz...ad a stab at it and got a good few grand. Basically informed HR that I want to do that weeks training eitherway as neva did that stuff before not even for the leaving. A weeks crash course on debits and credits will do me no harm i'm thinking!
    BTW don't really know Dublin that well...any suggestions on areas suitable to the IFSC for accomodation?

Thats cool we in the same area. At last there will be the two of us in the same boat so.
    Not too sure of the when...think they going to send back a timetable once they register us with the CAI. Imagine could be a couple of week nights and weekends. Think that accounting fundamentals on at their other place, the Stokes Place or whatever it called and think I heard that our lectures may be on at croke park but may be wrong. Haven't really thought too much about it, just trying to enjoy the few weeks hols before the slog begins.
    As for that little quiz...ad a stab at it and got a good few grand. Basically informed HR that I want to do that weeks training eitherway as neva did that stuff before not even for the leaving. A weeks crash course on debits and credits will do me no harm i'm thinking!
    BTW don't really know Dublin that well...any suggestions on areas suitable to the IFSC for accomodation?

Weekends at college will kill just looked up timetables from last year and it seems every tuesday and thursday night from half 6 to half 9 and then like every third saturday and sunday from 10 till 5.
    Yeah I was confused on where we had to go I thought it was croke park on the 12th but then the email cleared that up for me. Stokes place? Thats near stephens green right?
    Yeah I told them the same thing they said i didnt need it because I did ok on the quiz but I said I wanted to go as only studying accounting as part of business for the junior cert.
    Im not from Dublin myself Im from Meath so im probably not the person to ask. I have to look for somewhere to live myself and havent got a clue where to start. You looked anywhere yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 pbot

Hey guys, I studied engineering and am starting with KPMG next month too. Just got offered the job last week and sent in the contract a couple of days ago. As far as I know I'll be based in Fin Services in IFSC too. I'm pretty nervous but can't wait to start at the same time, nice to know theres a few more in the same boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Maximus82

When did u guys apply to KPMG and how long were ye waiting before ye heard back from them? I applied 2 wks ago but heard nothing yet....would they have been in contact by now if they were interested to ye think? Also from a non-accounting background.

In the same situation as you guys, IFSC office in FS Audit. Best places seem to be Dublin 1, 2 or 4 as they are the closest on foot and to the DART when the weather isn't great. Have only had a quick browse of sharing options on Daft.ie and there seems to be a lot of rooms available. Whether they are nice or not you never know until you view.
    Maximus82 wrote: »
    When did u guys apply to KPMG and how long were ye waiting before ye heard back from them? I applied 2 wks ago but heard nothing yet....would they have been in contact by now if they were interested to ye think? Also from a non-accounting background.

I applied before the 20th of June sometime. Only heard back at the end of July.

Maximus82 wrote: »

Hey. I applied back last October so wont be much help and heard from them about a week later about coming to interview. I would give it a while yet. you never know :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Redmond101

I'm starting in FS audit on the 12th of September!

our names our already assigned to our dutties!

My first 6 weeks are in croke park and with everybody and then on a job for a week

Redmond101 wrote: »

My first 6 weeks are in croke park and with everybody and then on a job for a week

When did you find this out? :eek:

Redmond101 wrote: »

When did you find this out? :eek:

One of my friends is in final year doing her FEs and asked her to check what I'll be doing

• Registered Users Posts: 11 diverm2

Anybody going into CIM in Stokes Place office?? :) Haven't heard of anyone else!!

diverm2 wrote: »
    Anybody going into CIM in Stokes Place office?? :) Haven't heard of anyone else!!

You are going to be very very busy from November to December

• Registered Users Posts: 37 minagile

Hi Guys,

Cheers for the info.

Thanks again.

First good luck with your interview process.

I am going to apply for a graduate position this September with KPMG. The HR person total me I will need to do a business case before or after the first interview.

I am wondering what kind of the business case/assessment that they have asked.

Please advise, thanks.

minagile wrote: »
    First good luck with your interview process.

I am going to apply for a graduate position this September with KPMG. The HR person total me I will need to do a business case before or after the first interview.

I am wondering what kind of the business case/assessment that they have asked.

Please advise, thanks.

Basically you sit at a laptop and type out answers to two questions. Cant remember how long I was given to do it. There is usually a general type question on why you would be suitable for the position etc. And the other is a business related question. Mine was on business ethics in the workplace. But it could be anything like. Its not a big deal. They wont be too hard on you if you struggle to answer it like I did. Best of luck

Basically you sit at a laptop and type out answers to two questions. Cant remember how long I was given to do it. There is usually a general type question on why you would be suitable for the position etc. And the other is a business related question. Mine was on business ethics in the workplace. But it could be anything like. Its not a big deal. They wont be too hard on you if you struggle to answer it like I did. Best of luck

I hope this year will have similar process. Thanks for your answer.

Did you apply for all the big 4? What was the experiences with the other 3 like? I know Deloitte require a E-tray test. Thanks

I hope this year will have similar process. Thanks for your answer.

Did you apply for all the big 4? What was the experiences with the other 3 like? I know Deloitte require a E-tray test. Thanks

I applied to all except Deloitte. Never heard from Pwc. Really wanted KPMG. They called me to come to a presentation and then ernst and young did the same thing. Had interviews for both places. Never went to the ernst and young one as I got offered a job an hour after my interview with KPMG. So cant tell you much about the others sorry :(

• Advertisement

I applied to all except Deloitte. Never heard from Pwc. Really wanted KPMG. They called me to come to a presentation and then ernst and young did the same thing. Had interviews for both places. Never went to the ernst and young one as I got offered a job an hour after my interview with KPMG. So cant tell you much about the others sorry :(

Both KPMG and E & Y called you for a presentation. I thought KPMG will just ask to so a business case then 2 interviews.

What did you present in both companies. By the way did you went the milk round in 2010 Autumn. thanks again.

Both KPMG and E & Y called you for a presentation. I thought KPMG will just ask to so a business case then 2 interviews.

What did you present in both companies. By the way did you went the milk round in 2010 Autumn. thanks again.

O sorry I didnt really explain that properly. I didnt have to give any presentations so dont worry about that. KPMG asked me to a presentation evening where they talk about the company etc and afterwards you have the opportunity to talk to others working there and see what life is like there. E & Y did something similar except it was a breakfast presentation.
    And yes I applied through the milk round in 2010 so nearly been waiting a whole year to start by now :)

Presentation evening and breakfast, sounds very interesting. So before the interview we will get a chance to know the organisation and the role better.

I thinks that's great to have a summer break after the college year. Only few weeks now before you start working for them.

So afraid of the interview and assessment process, but thanks for your your help I feel much better know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

I know this thread is late! But I have an interview for tax in KPMG next week. I study law so don't have experience in the area.
    Does anyone want to share their experience of how to prepare for the interview process? I'd really appreciate everything!

Advertisement