Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Canberra as boring as everyone says it is?

Options
  • 07-07-2011 8:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on Canberra?
    Myself and my boyfriend are flying into Melbourne on August 24th on a WHV.
    My boyfriend is a qualified Metal Fabricator / Welder and i work in funds in the banking industry.

A welding company from Canberra were in Dublin 2 weeks ago interviewing potential candidates for 3 job positions they need to fill.
    Yesterday, we received confirmation that my boyf has got the job and that he can start at the end of August / early Sept.

Everyone and anyone we speak to has a negative opinion on Canberra.But to be honest most of these people have never even been there.They are purely going on hear say.
    It would be such a relief to know one of us will have a job as soon as we arrive in Oz.Whereas if we stick with our original plan and it takes 3 or 4 weeks for either of us to get a job in Melbourne, that time could do some serious damage to our savings.At least with Canberra,one of us will be earning from the get go.

Another thing i noticed is that the rental market in Canberra seems to be a lot more expensive than Melbourne.A half decent looking apartment is at least $380 a week whereas in Melbourne we had seen places for $250 a week.
    Anyone any recommendations on good / bad areas to live in Canberra?

Appreciate any feedback :D:D

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Really depends on what you are into. If you like drinking all the time then it may not be your place but if you are into outdoor things like treking and mountain biking then its a great place.

I was there last weekend and on the face of it the place is a bit different from the rest of state capitals BUT one could have a nice life there if they want, the place is fairly laid back, lots of space and no traffic and all that stuff.

My advice, take it and if you dont like it you can always move. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I often go there for work and stay a few days at a time, its actually not that bad. Like Jank says it great for outdoors especially during summer as its nice spacious feel about it it great if you are into cycling or if you have a boat. I was there once when the Balloon festival was on and it was great to watch them going up in the early morning.

After dark it is a bit dead and I was down there in mid May and it was really cold like -4C, its only a 3 hr drive to Sydney and its a handy enough drive.

As for the price of property and rent I hear can be more expensive than Sydney, I think as reflection of the average wage down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

It will be fine for your first 3months here.

Its an outdoorsy place and you should meet real australians rather than full on backpacker scene. Accommodation can be expensive because of all the diplomats/politicos etc.

Just don't stay in Fyshwick, it's the capital of the adult entertainment industry in Australia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 lucylocket82

Thanks so much guys for the prompt responses.
    That is seriously the first positive words i have ever heard in reference to Canberra!

We both enjoy a drink at the weekend but we certainly wont be living the party lifestyle no matter where we go in Oz.
    Its great the way its only 3hrs from Sydney.I have several friends there so it would be cool to meet up every now & then.

Thanks for the tip re Fyshwick.I will be sure to give it a wide berth!

Would you suggest booking a flight from Melbourne to Canberra? Or is it worth doing by bus? If we thought it was a scenic enough journey we would go with the bus option.
    We've been to Oz before and travelled by bus in some parts.Wasn't the best really.

Suppose the rental cost makes sense then.Was a bit of a shock at first though i must admit.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭luder

Canberra is a great spot.... its not a clogged up rat race city, its easy going and laid back and most of all almost zero traffic getting to and from work.

There is still plenty to see and do here contrary to what everyone says, good bars in the city center, King o malleys is a good spot (irish pub) Uni Bar, transit bar too and plenty of nightclubs which are always busy at the weekends.

Its a good place to live if your used to living in the countryside or a small town back in ireland, Canberra is very spread out with lots of different residential area... One of the main places to avoid when renting is Charnwood, Lots of council houses in that area etc.. Fyshwick is more of an industrial area than a residential one though

On average wages are higher than other cities so this more than makes up for the more expensive rent...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

Unless you get an overnight bus, don't bother. It's 7hours on the Hume highway and that is quite a boring road. I go to country NSW twice a year from Melb by car and I find it tedious at this stage, you can do more scenic routes but it can make for a very very long trip.
    Flying is cheap enough.

Tuggeranong or tuggers as the locals call it is a bit of a rough spot according to the OH (brother and pals lived in Canberra for years)

Cooperspale and Luder - Thanks very much for that info.
    This is why i love this site so much :)

I think we will fly from Melbourne to Canberra so.Don't fancy a tedious journey like that.I had enough of them when i was last in Oz!

Thanks for the tips on the bars also....we will certainly be trying them out on arrival:)

The name of the area where my boyfriend has been offered the job is Hume.Hopefully we find decent accomodation near enough to there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 greenline

If either of you play GAA, the Canberra Gaels are looking for players, my spies tell me.....

http://www.irishclub.com.au/What-s-on/Sporting-Clubs/Canberra-Gaels-Foot-Ball-Hurling.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭luder

Ya Hume is down the south of canberra, near tuggeranong but the way canberra is laid out almost everywhere is no more than a 20min drive away so dont be worried if ye cant find accomodation close to it.

Hi guys,

Thanks again for all the info on Canberra. Very much appreciated!
    Well my o/h has decided to take the job and his start date is monday sept 5th.
    We will be arriving in Melbourne on Aug 25th and plan to stay there for a couple of days before booking an internal flight to Canberra around Aug 31st.

Anyone have any advice on where we could book our first few nights accomodation in Canberra?
    Somewhere cheap & cheerful for the first week whilst we look into shared apartments.
    When i look for hostels, all that pop are the WHA in Canberra centre & also Victor Lodge B&B. Anyone ever stayed in either of these?Or does anyone know of any alternatives?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 eoin2011

hi i stayed in that B&B in july rooms and breakkie (cereal, bread jam and fruit) very basic for the price 80-90$ single room with double bed. tv room is muck and kitchen is small. breakfast from 7.30 - 9.00 which i found very hard to get up for! Its in kingston one supermarket 2-3 pubs and a few shops and restauraunt. bus service ok but only 2 -3 bus routes. its about 10 - 15 min bus ride to city. If i was coming again id try stay in city as you will be close to bus station and can move around to look at apartments easier. I live in woden (15 minutes to city and lots of routes to get u around ACT) at the moment and Im close to large shopping centre restauraunt bars cinema etc.. and a also a bus station. if u could get something out around here or in city for same price as B&B it would be worth it.. its 4$ one way on bus or 7.60 for a 24 hour pass.

I also travelled by train and bus from melbourne its about 9 hours not to bad if u have a few beers the nyt before! the train leaves melbourne station ( southern cross) at 8.30 every morning and arrives to canberra at 17.30 ish. u stop halfway and change onto a bus. not much to see along the way a few brown fields...didnt see one kangaroo! it cost me 75$ which isnt too bad.

Im workin in canberra at the moment its ok a good place to save a bit of cash and the weather is starting to pick up not as cold as everyone makes out! believe me i experienced plenty of worse weather in Eire... bring ur jacket have a safe flight....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 eoin2011

oh and if your booking somewhere in Melbourne space hotel/hostel great spot right in the city Russell street. i stayed there for 2 months was good craic.. double room about $80 or u can get a bed in dorm for 28$ a nyt.. showers kitchen tv room all very clean and friendly reception..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

i spent last nov in canberra. really liked it, people are really nice there.

as nearly every one there works for the govt (especially defence) there is a large turn over of people who do a few years and then get moved elsewhere. this seems to make it a lot easier to make friends.

traffic is never an issue either and if your into outdoorsey stuff you will love it. midweek nightlife isnt great but the pubs are packed at the weekends. sydney is a only a few hrs away if you want to remind yourself what the ratrace is like.

the ONLY problem i have with the place is its distance from the beach/surf, about 2 hrs. but you will easily get that time back during your quick spin to work.

Advertisement