Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If you were me ? UPC or SKY HD

• 07-07-2011 10:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭

This has probably been answered 100 times but i cant find a thread that is not over a year old .

I currently have UPC but only until recently (after 6 year wait) I can get HD in my area .
    I could always get Broadband but not phone & HD , bizarre , but for another thread .

Well here is my question ...

I was thinking of just cancelling UPC TV (keep BB) and getting SKY HD , and one of the new HD 1TB boxes .

Anyone wanna change my mind and why ?

Is there a better HD between either provider ?

Or should i try something completely different ? ..budget €600

Ta In Advance

M.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

I had this discussion with the OH recently, In our case we have the phone tv and BB all in the one go, and its a good price for what were getting and we use all 3 services quite a lot, we recently upgraded our TV and thought why not go for the Hd package, UPC don't really have a great selection for HD channels at the moment which is disappointing, Sky definitely do have the better selection, and price wise for the selection of channels they roughly are the same price, maybe a few quid here and there each month but nothing mental.

In our case we weren't that big on the Hd channels as we just download a lot of ur tv shows in Hi def and put them onto usb stick, but if your really looking for the HD option go with SKY, I'd double check contract commitments with UPC before getting sky though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

if the best price is you main concern then UPC

if quality is your main concern then Sky. (if you are going to sky as a new customer remember to go via fat cheese.ie as you can avail of there money back option. It may take a while to get but better in your pocket then their's)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭ZOLTAN28

If you are getting ports and movies then Sky is way better for HD than UPC and they generally have decent deals for 'new' customers. You will alsoget Sky Atalntic HD which is excellent if you like quality TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 golass

I must disagree with you about the excellence of Sky Atlantic. They show endless repeats and 2 hours of new shows a day. Would not call it quality by a long shot....:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

UPC for broadband and phone, sky hd for telly  happy days in my house!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

golass wrote: »
    I must disagree with you about the excellence of Sky Atlantic. They show endless repeats and 2 hours of new shows a day. Would not call it quality by a long shot....:eek::eek::eek:

This wont affect anyone unless you sit in front of the tv for more than 2 hours a day and not change the channel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

golass wrote: »

Every channel shows mostly repeats and only 2 hours of new content per day. The difference is, Sky Atlantic is home to HBO shows, so its got;

Game of Thrones
    Boardwalk Empire
    Funny Or Die Presents
    The Borgias
    Blue Bloods

To name just a few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

DjFlin wrote: »
    Every channel shows mostly repeats and only 2 hours of new content per day. The difference is, Sky Atlantic is home to HBO shows, so its got;

Game of Thrones
    Boardwalk Empire
    Funny Or Die Presents
    The Borgias
    Blue Bloods

To name just a few.
    I don't think Blue Bloods is a HBO production, I think it's CBS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

i believe that Sky HD sub is going to be scrapped in September so another reason to think about Sky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

200motels wrote: »
    I don't think Blue Bloods is a HBO production, I think it's CBS.

Oh, Atlantic has it, so I assumed it was HBO.

Atlantic is getting Mad Men too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Skerries wrote: »
    i believe that Sky HD sub is going to be scrapped in September so another reason to think about Sky

What's this exactly ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭Marco85

not exactly. the multiroom hd sub is to be scrapped meaning that you still pay 15 euro for hd sub but in september you will receive hd all over the house on any additional boxes you have in bedrooms,etc! providing the boxes are hd that is!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

No it's not-the €15 charge stays but covers any hd ready boxes in the house.If you get hd multiroom you only pay the hd sub for the main one whereas up until September you pay extra for hd on every other box you may have in the house.
    All multiroom boxes are HD ready now as standard so happy days for anyone with a HD sub.

Back on topic-Sky for tv and UPC for broadband=best of both worlds.

DjFlin wrote: »
    Oh, Atlantic has it, so I assumed it was HBO.

Atlantic is getting Mad Men too.

Sky Atlantic has programming from a host of broadcasters in the United States

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭ZOLTAN28

Some of those repeats Sky atlantic show are some of the best tv shows of the last 10 years btw:

The sopranos
    battlestar galactica
    six feet under
    big love

Also some quality HBO films and mini series:

You don't know Jack
    Mildrd Pierce

Plus shows others haven't mentioned include:

Bored to Death
    Entourage
    In Treatment
    Nurse Jackie

As well as the shows already mentioned I think dismissing sky atlantic is dismissing a lot of good tv and a very good reason to choose sky over upc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

UPDATE :

So went to UPC to cancel my TV and just hold onto BB .
    The feckers said that my BB subscription would go up by an extra €7.75 a month , called a "stand alone charge" for only have the BB and not the TV service aswell :mad:

It gets better ...
    They said that I would also need to pay a €100 disconnection fee due to me been in contract .
    Now Im with UPC over 7 years so i questioned this .
    They said i added a kids package on the 28/10/10 which would have renewed my contract ???????????... that was news to me !

So I am really having to re-consider as the total cost per month would be
    UPC BB - = €34.25
    UPC Stand alone charge = € 7.75
    SKY HD & Packages = €80.00

Ah shoite !

mixednuts wrote: »
    UPDATE :

So went to UPC to cancel my TV and just hold onto BB .
    The feckers said that my BB subscription would go up by an extra €7.75 a month , called a "stand alone charge" for only have the BB and not the TV service aswell :mad:

It gets better ...
    They said that I would also need to pay a €100 disconnection fee due to me been in contract .
    Now Im with UPC over 7 years so i questioned this .
    They said i added a kids package on the 28/10/10 which would have renewed my contract ???????????... that was news to me !

So I am really having to re-consider as the total cost per month would be
    UPC BB - = €34.25
    UPC Stand alone charge = € 7.75
    SKY HD & Packages = €80.00

Ah shoite !

They are lying about being tied into a new contract by adding kids channels-did you mention switching to Sky by chance while you were on the phone to them? Any mention of switching leads them to say anything on the phone to stop you from changing.

Best thing to do is write to them and tell 'em you're cancelling.As a bonus,Sky are now offering ALL ESPN channels free if you have SkySports.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭paddyjoe183

mixednuts wrote: »
    This has probably been answered 100 times but i cant find a thread that is not over a year old .

I currently have UPC but only until recently (after 6 year wait) I can get HD in my area .
    I could always get Broadband but not phone & HD , bizarre , but for another thread .

Well here is my question ...

I was thinking of just cancelling UPC TV (keep BB) and getting SKY HD , and one of the new HD 1TB boxes .

Anyone wanna change my mind and why ?

Is there a better HD between either provider ?

Or should i try something completely different ? ..budget €600

Ta In Advance

M.

Stay away from sky if you have any sense!! They are a nightmare to deal with if anything goes wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭The Jman

I have had both UPC and Sky for tv and Sky is by far the best. You get so many more channels for your money and it's also a far more reliable service. I hate UPC and their 'outages in your area' :(

The Jman wrote: »
    I have had both UPC and Sky for tv and Sky is by far the best. You get so many more channels for your money and it's also a far more reliable service. I hate UPC and their 'outages in your area' :(

I hate sky! Their customer service base are cheeky feckers and everytime you ring your on hold for ages! and if you read the before link you will see the type of crap ive put up from them!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73413045#post73413045

• Advertisement

I hate sky! Their customer service base are cheeky feckers and everytime you ring your on hold for ages! and if you read the before link you will see the type of crap ive put up from them!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73413045#post73413045

It wasn't a Sky installer that gave you grief-it was a guy working for Sierra who merely do contract work,you should have rang them and complained.
    I've never had a problem with Sky's call centre staff and have always found them courteous and helpful.
    Back on topic,the op will now get all ESPN channels free if they have Sky Sports.

zerks wrote: »
    It wasn't a Sky installer that gave you grief-it was a guy working for Sierra who merely do contract work,you should have rang them and complained.
    I've never had a problem with Sky's call centre staff and have always found them courteous and helpful.
    Back on topic,the op will now get all ESPN channels free if they have Sky Sports.

Sky are paying them so in my mind sky are as much to blame! They are still employed by sky and they represpent sky and its sky i pay and i shouldnt be sent any third party members

everytime you ring your on hold for ages!

I'd say that I got through to an agent within 30 seconds 90% of the times I have ever had to ring Sky.

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    I'd say that I got through to an agent within 30 seconds 90% of the times I have ever had to ring Sky.

Iv rang sky many times and iv yet to get through to them within 30 seconds, maybe your ringing different times to me or something.... its the irish call centre i ring!

Advertisement