Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pending Legislation: ISP's may be forced to block filesharing sites

• 07-07-2011 11:57am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2011/0621/1224299311376.html

I'm not sure that the above article explains it correctly but it was discussed on The Last Word this week.
    Copyright holders may be able to get an order against an ISP to remove a filesharing site.
    From my understanding if Universal can prove that The Pirate Bay is being used for sharing copywrited material in Ireland on the Vodafone network they can then apply for an injunction against that site.

I understand why they wish to protect the artist but I think this is a little North Korean for my liking.
    If one person uses Rapidshare, Hotfile etc. maliciously will that be reason to take down the site.
    What makes it more facile is that anyone tech savy enough will have a workaround in seconds.
    So much for a free internet for all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 theblueeyz

This is what happens when companies can buy laws. Frankly I think corporations should have no more voice than a single individual, which is to say, very little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

In a purely argument standing. This is completely pointless.

So what if an ISP's were forced to stop a file sharing site's.

That will never stop the biggest which is Usenet!! So to be honest. Let them waste there time!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,484 ✭✭✭Nollog

It's just another stepping stone to China.
    Why does every developed country want to be China?
    I thought they hated communism just ten years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

/\/ollog wrote: »

Because their food is lovely!!!

But seriously, anyone who uses this type of file sharing for pirating will find easy ways around it. Bit silly really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

jarvis wrote: »
    Because their food is lovely!!!

But seriously, anyone who uses this type of file sharing for pirating will find easy ways around it. Bit silly really.

Then again these legislations are normally brought forward by narrow minded people who aren't very 'tech savvy'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

If this were to come in, ipredator and other VPNs would see a surge in Irish customers.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

your mixing up communism and facism. This type of move is facist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

I can guarantee this will have no affect on even moderate users. Irelands ISPs don't have the infrastructure to implement much more than a DNS redirect, and won't be investing in hardware like the great firewall of China because of it. VPNs and Usenet won't be affected, YouTube etc will remain 'legal' so the 'untrained' population will still stream their low quality tv shows and music. what segment of the population plan to do they plan to stop then?

Anyone who is dumbfounded by the blockage will just stroll on over to their tech savvy friends house, who probably has what they're looking for, or could teach them how to get past the wall. and everyone knows someone who is tech savvy in this area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,484 ✭✭✭Nollog

mayordenis wrote: »
    your mixing up communism and facism. This type of move is facist.

It was more of a reference to the great firewall of china.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Caliden wrote: »
    Then again these legislations are normally brought forward by narrow minded people who aren't very 'tech savvy'.

This continues to be the biggest issue is this long running fight.
    Most politicians & the legal profession lack a grasp of how people go about downloading illegal material.
    They appear to know the buzzwords & listen to advisers but seem very slow to react to the latest threats.
    They'll get around to closing Napster next year maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

It was more of a reference to the great firewall of china.
    which despite being very sophisticated and costing millions to keep running, doesn't actually work well enough to stop anyone from circumventing it, much the same as it will be here in the event that it ever gets implemented.

not directing that at you /\/ollog, i know you're just saying. :)

i just really wish that content providers like movie studio's, music labels and tv companies etc. would spend half as much money in finding ways to deliver their content to their consumers in a format that they want it in as they do in trying to prosecute them FOR doing it or prevent them FROM doing it in the ways that suit them.

if the record industry had just embraced the likes of napster all those years ago instead of fighting it and it's descendants, the movie & tv companies would have most likely followed suit when the time came and not only would everyone be happy, but they would be much better off financially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

vibe666 wrote: »
    i just really wish that content providers like movie studio's, music labels and tv companies etc. would spend half as much money in finding ways to deliver their content to their consumers in a format that they want it in as they do in trying to prosecute them FOR doing it or prevent them FROM doing it in the ways that suit them.

They are...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UltraViolet_%28system%29

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/06/01/ultraviolet_wtf/

If it turns out to do what they claim it will, it will be a pretty decent system that will make a fair dent in copyright infringement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Moriarty wrote: »
    They are...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UltraViolet_%28system%29

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/06/01/ultraviolet_wtf/

If it turns out to do what they claim it will, it will be a pretty decent system that will make a fair dent in copyright infringement.
    that's awesome, fingers crossed it works as intended.

i think at the end of the day, most people just want easy access to watch and listen to whatever they want to, without having to be restrained by outdated 20th century delivery methods like regular TV broadcasts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,142 ✭✭✭✭briany

It certainly sounds like a fine proposition.

For it to work well, however, would require them to provide a product that is substantially higher in quality for a small fee than what the myriad of scene groups provide essentially for free. Therein lies a potential problem if the studios pepper the content with ads or trailers or infringement warnings like you would see on a DVD. Some people will be looking for an excuse/reason not to buy and that would be it. If it's going to work, it needs to be what you want to see, how you want to see it, when you want to see it and where you want to see it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Why do the content industry put so much effort into rubbish like this, which won't stop piracy at all.

Instead why doesn't the content industry create a European wide content licensing, so servives like Netflicks, Hulu, Pandora, Spotify, etc. can come to Ireland quicker, allowing people to actually pay for the content they want.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

bk wrote: »
    Why do the content industry put so much effort into rubbish like this, which won't stop piracy at all.

Instead why doesn't the content industry create a European wide content licensing, so servives like Netflicks, Hulu, Pandora, Spotify, etc. can come to Ireland quicker, allowing people to actually pay for the content they want.

Yup, I'd easily pay €3 to download a flick at full whack in 720p with 5.1.
    You'd also get full libraries of the classics & world cinema.
    Has to be said again, if it comes with unskippable trailers & warnings they can funk off, I'll be back to my free provider in seconds.

Advertisement