Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hitching from Cork to Dublin - best place?

Options
  • 07-07-2011 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I'm trying to hitch up to Dublin from Cork on Saturday, but can't figure out the best place for it. It needs to be within walking distance of the centre or within reach of a city bus service. Also it needs to have some place for cars to pull over (like a petrol station). Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭sammalone

Up to a few years ago lots of people used to thumb with a sign telling their hoped for destination along by St. Patrick's Church - the one just before the railway station across the road. There is usually plenty space along the road there for cars to pull in and it's just after the traffic lights so they not on open road yet. Unfortunately because of the tunnel a lot of the traffic going to Dublin not passing there nowadays. Good luck I'd like to see more people thumbing again. You might as easily just get an offer of a lift from somebody here who is travelling to Dublin then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

What time do you need to be in Dublin for? Which part of the city?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 finnianp

Jason1984 wrote: »
    What time do you need to be in Dublin for? Which part of the city?

Any time, anywhere really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

Cool -I may be heading up at around 7.15pm and could drop you by the Red Cow Luas.
    PM me your number and I'll let you know for sure in the morning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

The place to catch the most traffic heading to Dublin from Cork would be right at the very beginning of the N8/M8 just off the northbound exit of the Dunkettle roundabout.

You'd catch all traffic heading to Dublin from there.

It's only €15 to get the bus btw.

Aircoach.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AFC_1903

I hitch a lot and if leaving Cork in that direction I usually go to next to Silversprings hotel, as you get the traffic going from the North Link and the traffic is slow-ish and there is space to pull over there. I tend not to have to wait too long, but am generally heading towards Waterford rather than Dublin (I don't like Dublin much). A small distance towards the city from this point there are also two petrol stations which you can try if you prefer speaking to people to the thumb-out attempt. Even if you get a vehicle going to Waterford (or along that route) you can ask if they'll let you out beside the Dunkettle roundabout where the Cork-Waterford and Cork-Dublin roads meet. The Waterford route will bypass-it but go close enough to walk down to it. From the Dunkettle roundabout if you go just up a small way on the hard shoulder on the Dublin road towards Dublin the traffic coming onto the road will be slowed sufficiently by the roundabout to see you, and be able to make a decision and [hopefully!] stop for you.

A great site to help you in the future: http://hitchwiki.org/en/Cork

Advertisement