Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheapo HTPC case full ATX mobo - any suggestions?

Options
  • 07-07-2011 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭

loads of helpful people on here today, thought I'd add 1 more thread to gain its own attention?

I need a desktop case (sideways yokes) for a HTPC build.

black if possible. really like some of the cases I've seen but white just kills it for me..

from HWVS or somewhere with cheap delivery?

toughy: house a full ATX mobo and PSU. space for 2 3.5" hdds and a dvd drive.

preferably to have as little LEDs as possible.

budget limit: let's say €50? willing to get second hand or eBay or something I guess.

thanks to any suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

You could get a white one and a can of black spray paint? A project for the modding forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Monotype wrote: »
    You could get a white one and a can of black spray paint? A project for the modding forum!
    oh god knowing me it would come out looking awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

TBH you're not going to get a cheap desktop case that supports full ATX board for that price.

Is your motherboard new or old?

You really want a mATX board for this build. Either that or go for a mid/mini-tower if its not too big for you, and these can certainly be had for that price.

How about this?

Cooler Master Elite 360 €33.40 and free delivery

Its not in stock yet, but if you're willing to wait could be a good bet.

TBH you're not going to get a cheap desktop case that supports full ATX board for that price.

Is your motherboard new or old?

You really want a mATX board for this build. Either that or go for a mid/mini-tower if its not too big for you, and these can certainly be had for that price.

How about this?

Cooler Master Elite 360 €33.40 and free delivery

Its not in stock yet, but if you're willing to wait could be a good bet.
    It's old enough I guess, but has served me well and I'm on a tight budget. But all suggestions welcome!
    Any suggestions for a mid tower I can throw on its side that'll work well?

The board is an MSI 770-G45

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    It's old enough I guess, but has served me well and I'm on a tight budget. But all suggestions welcome!
    Any suggestions for a mid tower I can throw on its side that'll work well?

The board is an MSI 770-G45

The case I linked to can be placed on its side. The logo even rotates to accommodate this! As you can see, the bays are actually oriented for horizontal positioning.

• Advertisement

thanks DG I didn't see the ninja edit. that case looks perfect. I think it'll suite better than the asgard 3 anyway. I've been meaning to look at dabs too to compare prices cause of the free delivery.

edit: any downfall to leaving the power led on a case unplugged? besides making it fractionally harder to tell if its on, I see no reason to use it on a HTPC.

ah ha. i see a downfall to the case now. the PSU is mounted in a weird way, i can deal with that, but when the case is on its side, the PSU fan is pointed upwards (at the top of the case) and has no dust filter on the mesh. i guess ill have to give it a good clean out often enough or something, cause thats definately gonna be a dust trap. im also hoping to run as little fans as possible to keep noise out.

hopefully just the stock AMD fan, PSU fan and 1 case fan. running with a fanless HD6450 GPU. lets hope temps are acceptable.

my PSU is gonna be way overkill though, a CM silent pro M600W. will this be a major problem?

The PSU should be fine, a bit overkill yes, but won't be an issue, and should run nice and cool.

Advertisement