Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car stolen insurance claim issue

• 07-07-2011 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭

Sister had her car stolen last week

Rang guards, insurance company sent out their guy all ok

Sister bought car from the north paying vrt came in at €9000

Insured it for €10000

Insurance company are looking for following info

1. Service history ( sister would have it serviced by local guy, wouldnt have garage receipts etc. )
    2. Looking for receipt for car

Is she obligated to give all the info.
    She hasnt asked them for a replacement car while claim is been processed

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

waster81 wrote: »
    Sister had her car stolen last week

Rang guards, insurance company sent out their guy all ok

Sister bought car from the north paying vrt came in at €9000

Insured it for €10000

Insurance company are looking for following info

1. Service history ( sister would have it serviced by local guy, wouldnt have garage receipts etc. )
    2. Looking for receipt for car

Is she obligated to give all the info.
    She hasnt asked them for a replacement car while claim is been processed

Don't really see the relation with the service history or even the receipt of the car...but if they ask for it just provide what they ask. If you are unable to provide service history, just explain them why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

bmstuff wrote: »
    Don't really see the relation with the service history or even the receipt of the car...but if they ask for it just provide what they ask. If you are unable to provide service history, just explain them why.

All you need to do is prove you owned said vehicle (registration book)

Service history requested I assume to validate condition and mileage. Make your claim, ask the Insurer to disprove it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

tell them Receipt and service history were in to boot :) simples..

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭waster81

Could understand maybe looking for service history if the car had gone up in flames, and she needed to prove she had taken good care of the car

Is the maximum paid out what she has it insured for €10,000 or what it would cost to replace it in the republic e.g. €12000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Is the maximum paid out what she has it insured for €10,000 or what it would cost to replace it in the republic e.g. €12000
    Whichever is lower, ie €10000 max.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

Could understand maybe looking for service history if the car had gone up in flames, and she needed to prove she had taken good care of the car

€10k would be the max but you've no chance they'll even pay that. They'll offer you the current value of the car.

current value is €12000, thats what valuer they sent has put on it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

All the insurer should need is the vlc...and a cheque from them back

€10k is the value she put on it when insuring it

€12k is what their guy said its worth or what it would cost to replace it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

MidlandsM wrote: »
    All the insurer should need is the vlc...and a cheque from them back

I read it as cost Inc. Vrt was 9k.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

current value is €12000, thats what valuer they sent has put on it

You may have a nasty problem.

If it was worth €12k and was underinsured for €10k you can get hit for averaging.

If they apply it the max. claim would be 10/12 x €10k, i.e €8333

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

If it was worth €12k and was underinsured for €10k you can get hit for averaging.

ohhhhhh, nasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Completely wrong. There's no average clause on a motor insurance policy. They replace for the market value or the insured value whatever is the lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 manana

My insurance company offered me €1500 for my stolen car, saying it's a write off. The replacement cost is easily 2500. I said it was too low. They've come back with offer of €2000! Still not good enough but quite a jump!

Interestingly, my garage repair man says my car is not a write off and can be restored for a few hundred. It's got low mileage and good engine. Do I have to sign away the old car as well as take a poor offer?

manana wrote: »
    My insurance company offered me €1500 for my stolen car, saying it's a write off. The replacement cost is easily 2500. I said it was too low. They've come back with offer of €2000! Still not good enough but quite a jump!

Interestingly, my garage repair man says my car is not a write off and can be restored for a few hundred. It's got low mileage and good engine. Do I have to sign away the old car as well as take a poor offer?

If it has been classed as Cat C or D then you can buy it back off your insurer and have it repaired for the few hundred.

If it can be repaired for a few hundred, would you not just do that and not claim at all saving your premium come renewal ?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 manana

the insurance company says claim won't affect NCB. They also want sign off to them of the "wreck". Do they have a deal with someone who puts it (legally naturally) back on the road. sounds like the insurance has a little earner on the side from what they call a "wreck".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Actually you'll get the "book"/trade value - not the prices you see on Carzone.. generally significantly less than that.

Interesting point about the Service History though.. Mine's in the glovebox in the nice little VW book so that WOULD (legitimately) be gone too - but presumably the main dealers I use could pull up copies on the system with the reg of the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Would love to know who the insurance company is, seems to be a tactic used to try and "prove" the car was not roadworthy so that they can claim you broke your side of the contract and they no longer have to pay out. Happened to me last year and ended up needing a solicitor. The request was promptly dropped after they recieved the letter. They don't need the service history just the log book. Challenge them on this and see what they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Close, but the actual calculation would be the loss, €12,000 X (Sum Insured €10,000/Value €12,000) = €10,000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Actually you'll get the "book"/trade value - not the prices you see on Carzone.. generally significantly less than that.

Interesting point about the Service History though.. Mine's in the glovebox in the nice little VW book so that WOULD (legitimately) be gone too - but presumably the main dealers I use could pull up copies on the system with the reg of the car.

Don't think that is correct. I know someone who wrote off their car a week ago. Was purchased from a dealer in Dublin via carzone, cost 15.5k straight deal. That was nearly a year ago. Insurance company started of with lowball offers but the owner argued that it was high spec and low mileage and to replace with a similar model would cost more. Without much hassle they came up on their offer, and they settled on 14k. Book/trade value would be a lot less.

• Advertisement

cojomo2 wrote: »
    Don't think that is correct. I know someone who wrote off their car a week ago. Was purchased from a dealer in Dublin via carzone, cost 15.5k straight deal. That was nearly a year ago. Insurance company started of with lowball offers but the owner argued that it was high spec and low mileage and to replace with a similar model would cost more. Without much hassle they came up on their offer, and they settled on 14k. Book/trade value would be a lot less.

I know a lad who ate his own head.

Well thats what he told me anyway.

You get the Market Value or the Sum Insured. Whichever is less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cojomo2

MugMugs wrote: »
    I know a lad who ate his own head.

Well thats what he told me anyway.

You get the Market Value or the Sum Insured. Whichever is less.

It was my brother in law. Yes my point was you don't get the book value, unless of course you only valued it at that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement