Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD MA in Economics

Options
  • 07-07-2011 1:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi everyone,

I've been accepted to the MA Programme in Economics in UCD. I've also been accepted to the MSc Programme in TCD. Just wondering if anyone has completed either course? What they thought of them, PHd prospects etc?

Also I get the impression that the TCD MSc is more quants focused than the UCD MA. Is this the case?

Finally the price difference between the two is quite big (5,500 v 9,400 approx). Is the TCD "brand" worth the extra four grand?

Thanks in advance. Any info or advice is much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Slippers

You might be interested in this: www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~mkolesar/advice.pdf

It doesn't really help with UCD vs TCD though.

Here is the syllabus for the MA, in case that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

While TCD might be more quant focused (I don't know, I didn't attend it), generally the UCD economics department would be better thought of within Ireland.

However, I really don't think a prospective employer nor institution is likely to differentiate too greatly here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭Blut2

I have friends who did the TCD degree and found it very very hard work (and these guys got 1.1s in economics for their undergrads). They just used it to go into general graduate level business jobs and without exception now wish theyd spent that year doing an "easier" business masters. Might be something worth considering if youre not planning on academia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Hey sorry for uprooting this old thread.

I'm considering doing the MA in Economics Qualifier after my degree as my degree isn't in economics. I'm going into 3rd year physics right now. I was considering taking an elective this year called "International Trade Economics" (ECON30160). As I understand it, this module is a core module in the MA Qualifier programme. If I took ECON30160 would I not be able to do the MA Qualifier as I'd have already taken a core module or will I just be exempt from taking it?

Advice appreciated, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Slippers

You do five core modules and one option out of ten. International Trade is one of the options. I see three possibilities (from most likely to least likely):

1) They won't let you do it again and you just pick one of the other nine options.

2) They will let you do it again and you can get a better grade because you'll have done it before. When I did the Higher Diploma in Statistics in 2007/8 seven out of the twelve modules I was in I was doing for the second time (but the first time I did them was before UCD had modules so that may not work now).

3) They let you count International Trade from this year as your option and you only have to do five modules in the MA Qualifier (unlikely).

• Advertisement
Advertisement