Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I in a fantasy world at the mo or is it possible?

Options
  • 07-07-2011 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

I currently live in the midlands and left Tramore, Co. Waterford years ago, I honestly thought Id never want to return but as they say "You dont know what you've got til its gone"...I miss my family, friends and the beach BIGTIME!

I really want to move back and rent a 2 bedroom house with my boyfriend but all thats available is the holiday homes which (no offense) are not so nice in my opinion. They are in no way suitable for our latest winters and are a bit too small.

Im also on a tight budget of 550e. Ive asked 2 local landlords but to no avail. Does anyone know any other local landlords or does anyone have any advice?

Most decent houses in the city are in dodgy areas plus I cant drive so Dunmore etc. are out of the question.

So, is it possible to find a non holiday home home?

PS: only one agency gave us some positivity and said yes but very rare at the mo.

Tips, opinions, advice appreciated.
    Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Moved to the Waterford County forum- I think you may get a more knowledgeable response here.

Regards,

SMcCarrick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Tim the Enchanter

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1064248

not exactly huge, but has a couple of bedrooms and oil fired central heating.

or

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=992035

No pic of property but estate looks ok and its fully furnished

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭DeiseforLiam

I presume you've tried myhome.ie and daft.ie

Local Estate Agents:
    Marie Murphy Auctioneers
    Property Partners (Barry Herterich)
    Lawrence & McDonald
    Brian Griffin & Sons

Also
    http://www.munster-express.ie/classifieds/rentals/

As regards holiday homes, Appollonian are ok and some have great views.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Might be harder to get a house in the summer, a lot of them might be rented short term for the summer..

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Bubs99

Thanks everyone for the tips and the ads. I really appreciate them.

We checked up on some but they were taken or over budget.

I never knew you could check the property/rent etc on The Munster Express online. I never realised. Brilliant!

We put our names and information in with all Tramore's agents and we check myhome.ie and bookaroom.ie regularly also.

If anyone knows of any local landlords who people who let houses, that would be great.

Thanks again. Keep them coming if you can. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Sarahfayess

Hiya - are you in a rush? If not you ARE better off waiting until the summer season is over as lots of places do summer rentals and are also cheaper in the winter...so if you wait till Sept, there will be a lot more around, and you could negotiate a long term contract then with a landlord. I was in this position last summer, and thats what i ended up doing - anyways best of luck!

Nope, Im willing to wait another 2 months atleast. I think you're right.

Im still looking though every day, just incase, on all the property websites.
    There are a few nice ones in Waterford city centre but Im going to be an awkward wannabe and still hope for Tramore.

It is my hometown after all and Ive never been a city girl and never wanted to be one either. Beside the sea is where I believe I belong.

Thank you. Ill keep you updated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

A friend of mine took a three bed in pebble beach for E400 a month, Its a three bed in good nick, I know you don't want holiday homes but at that price it is hard to ignore, he has no problems and has mainly all year round residents around him. How warm or otherwise it will be in the winter is another question?

Heya,

Yeah, thats pretty much the main reason I wont take the holiday homes. They're badly insulated as they were never meant for long term rental plus they were built yonks ago.

Dont get me wrong, they look lovely inside, infact I use to clean them when I was a teen and I babysat for some holiday makers years ago also.

Anyway, our winters are way too dodgy recently. The past three have been minus degrees for long periods along with ice and snow.

I hope your friend doesn't have any major trouble during the cold seasons. Atleast they can be prepared Im sure.

I really appreciate the info though. Thank you.

Well Im wishing you the best of luck hun, and I love trawling property websites so ill keep a look out for you.

• Advertisement

Thank you so much Sarahfayess, I really appreciate it.

Fingers crossed a load will come up when people head home at the end of the "summer".
    There's a 4 bedroom house for 500euro in Tramore but I was told that's too many rooms for us.

We want 2 (3 would be a bonus). I'm an artist and need space to paint and store canvase's etc. while my OH is a musician and also a maths tutor so he needs space too.

Id say it'll be about 20 years before we actually get our own house. :(

Anyway, atleast we have a roof over our heads so I count us very lucky.

Thanks again. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SupaDupaFly

Bubs99 wrote: »

Fingers crossed a load will come up when people head home at the end of the "summer".
    There's a 4 bedroom house for 500euro in Tramore but I was told that's too many rooms for us.

We want 2 (3 would be a bonus). I'm an artist and need space to paint and store canvase's etc. while my OH is a musician and also a maths tutor so he needs space too.

Bubs99 wrote: »

Hi Bubs99,

Don't know of anywhere available at the moment but just thought I'd give you some advice because we rented down there for three years. We found estate agents really pushy and unhelpful. Were were told we wouldn't find anything under 600 a month.

Avoid seafield like the plague, electric heaters and even though they have an open fire you will freeze and have massive electric bills. We paid 550 a month there two years ago. Crobally bungalows are also freezing at 500 a month.

Lived in southshore in a three bed. Even though they are storage heaters and massive homes I found them the easiest to heat. Spent a winter there and they retained heat well and esb bill wasn't bad.
    Rent was 500 a month.

Hope it helps :-)
    Good luck.

Hey SupaDupaFly,

I think i agree with you about the agents. Theres about 5 within metres of eachother in Tramore so we went to all and gave our information for each one.

Only one rang a few weeks ago and that was recommending a house out in Dunhill which is the middle of nowhere in Co. Waterford.

We still check Daft, myhome and bookaroom daily. And Im still asking around.
    Also, I found a great place in Love Lane, beside the Doneraile in Tramore the other day (on Daft). I was delighted, it was the perfect location and price etc.

So, I rang the agency on that ad and it was one of the agency's we'd left our info with. The girl asked my name etc, I said you should have all that info already. She said they didn't.
    I was fairly ticked off. Plus, that dream little rental went out the window because they put the ad up incorrectly saying 1 year when they meant (so she said) that you can only stay there from Sep to June, now she has put up minimum lease 9 months!!!

I think she means max lease or am I wrong? Anyway, the point is, i understand and I dont think I'll rely on them anymore.

It's taking so long now, it's depressing! Most places that are NOT a holiday home are 600euro plus. I wish I had the confidence to negotiate with the landlords.

Fingers crossed!

Thanks for the tips SupaDupaFly.

Hiya
    Just wanted to let you know I totally disagree about Southshore. I spent a winter there and it was the coldest of my life. I used to have to sleep under 2 duvets, with a hoodie on with the hood up, also there was a gap where my window didnt close properly...so you can imagine the cold!
    I suppose it depends on which one you get really, if its well looked after, but I wouldnt stay there again

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1081505

Just saw this, its in love lane, near the other one you were looking at, I think its a different one as its a different auctioneers and the move in date is different. Worth ringing them and asking them, also, ring the others back and tell them you are interested in having the other one long term. Most people prefer long term tenants as its reliable money for them, and they dont have to keep dealing with new people...

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭deasyd

We have a lovely place to rent. It's close to the prom in Tramore. Maybe you could send me a private message and I could e-mail you some pictures and details.

Ok, I checked the Love Lane place but they said its only 9 months lease due to landlord staying there in the summer and the other one doesn't accept rent allowance.

We then met a lovely local man who lets houses and we viewed a magnificent 2 bedroom bungalow litterally 2 mins walk from the prom (but it's not a holiday home in any way shape or form).

It has been all newly refurbished and insulated and the landlord seems like the dream type, he'd do anything you ask him too, no hassle and very friendly. Its looking good, we have to try negotiate first. Fingers crossed!

This is also litterally across from my best friend (who doesn't know yet), I mean metres across. It'd be fab. Im so excited and nervous incase it falls through.

well, fingers crossed for you, and let us all know how you get on!

All sorted my friends!

I want to thank all of you for your advice and suggestions. I really appreciate all the help you gave me.

The 2 bedroom bungalow minutes from the beach has been chosen. Its the dream location and the dream landlord plus he knows my folks very well which is handy. Im relieved the searching is over. I honestly thought we would'nt get one.

It was too good to gamble and just wait and see if there was any better.
    We'll be moving in in September. Thank you again everyone. Im sure I'll be back for more advice again soon. :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Glad to hear it.
    Hope the move works out for you.
    I'm slightly jealous, I always wanted to live by the sea......

• Advertisement

I guarantee you every person born or brought up on the coast will tell you that nothing beats it and they love it.

The scenery, the scent, the sounds etc. It's amazing!
    Many people love to watch the rough waves smash off of the cliffs, the pier or the prom or the glittering still ocean on hot sunny days.

Fabulous! Im so glad to be back on the coast again (Ive lived in the midlands for a few years). My boyfriend is from the country in the midlands so I think he's going to love it also.

Im so happy.:D

Advertisement